Prey

Anything to do with games at all.
Jenuall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall

PostRe: Prey
by Jenuall » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:42 am

I love the G.U.T.S section, though some people find the anti-grav stuff fiddly!

Seven
Joined in 2008

by Seven » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:27 am

Almost year after I've finished my playthrough of this and still remember how amazing it was. Easily one of my favourites this generation.

Bluesky: SevenFisher.bsky.social || Steam ID: SevenFisher
Jenuall
Joined in 2008

by Jenuall » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:16 pm

Agreed, definitely in my top 10 for this generation.

Really wish they had some of the additional difficulty settings / survival mode stuff when I first played through it though. It's been fun to revisit with some of those tweaks but it would have been so intense to have them on a first play through!

Squinty
Joined in 2009

by Squinty » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:57 pm

The inclusion of new game plus was fantastic.

Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:21 pm

Wtf is this nightmare gooseberry fool :|

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
Hexx
Joined in 2008

by Hexx » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:28 pm

Ad7 wrote:Wtf is this nightmare gooseberry fool :|

Run, Adam, Run

Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:29 pm

This has totally ruined the game for me. What a load of gooseberry fool.

Hexx
Joined in 2008

by Hexx » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:32 pm

Ad7 wrote:This has totally ruined the game for me. What a load of gooseberry fool.

It’s like really easy to run from/ignore

Jenuall
Joined in 2008

by Jenuall » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:09 pm

I still really struggle to understand the problem people have with the nightmare! It wasn't as well developed a mechanic as it could have been but it's a fun extra challenge for the later parts of the game.

Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:13 pm

i went through a main section loading door, and it was right in front of me and killed me multiple times in seconds. Over about 20 restarts i managed to get away by fluke as a poltergeist thing flukily sent me up in to the rafters and i hid there.

Seven
Joined in 2008

by Seven » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:10 pm

Nightmare is only bad part of the whole game, sounds like you just had bad luck but outside of that simply just run away / wait timer out. Really wish Nightmare won't exist though.

Bluesky: SevenFisher.bsky.social || Steam ID: SevenFisher
Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:26 am

It was a pretty shitty introduction to it. It would have been better to have it appear away from you, but can be seen so at least you know what it is. As it happened, I came through a door and within a couple of seconds i was just dead with no idea what had gone on. It took several run as soon as it loads to get enough space for the audio log to kick in and tell me what it is and to avoid or fight it.

ON another note, should I be doing the alien power upgrades? I've had a lot of options to do so for a while now thanks to research but it told em i'd be attacked by turrets etc if I did. Wondering if i'm missing out on a lot of cool stuff by just being a stealthy hacker who can lift fridges.

KomandaHeck
Joined in 2008

by KomandaHeck » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:36 am

I've taken the morph and psychoshock abilities so far myself. There's a gauge of Typhon material in your body that needs to build up enough before the turrets will actually identify you as a threat so you should be good if there's only a couple you're interested in taking.

It's implied there might be some story ramification to taking them if I'm remembering that part right but I don't know if that's just misdirection or what.

Squinty
Joined in 2009

by Squinty » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:42 am

Ad7 wrote:It was a pretty shitty introduction to it. It would have been better to have it appear away from you, but can be seen so at least you know what it is. As it happened, I came through a door and within a couple of seconds i was just dead with no idea what had gone on. It took several run as soon as it loads to get enough space for the audio log to kick in and tell me what it is and to avoid or fight it.

ON another note, should I be doing the alien power upgrades? I've had a lot of options to do so for a while now thanks to research but it told em i'd be attacked by turrets etc if I did. Wondering if i'm missing out on a lot of cool stuff by just being a stealthy hacker who can lift fridges.

Yes, use typhoon powers. The game is way better with them.

Jenuall
Joined in 2008

by Jenuall » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:49 am

I was all human in my first run and enjoyed the hell out of it, but have also had loads of fun doing subsequent runs with Typhon powers, it's up to you and how you want to play.

There's usually a way you work out to do something with any set of powers so you won't be "missing out" in that sense.

Tafdolphin
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
Joined in 2008

by Tafdolphin » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:21 pm

Hell yeah Nightmare Is gooseberry fool crew.

From the looks of it they wanted an Alien Isolation-esque enemy who would occasionally stalk you through the station. What they ended up with was a half arsed RNG elephant that is so big it's completely unable to navigate the game space and acts as nothing more than a cool down timer for the whole game.

By the time I was able to actually confront it I could kill it in three hits and it was nothing more than an annoyance.

100% the only major misstep the game makes though. Maybe the ending too.

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
EXOGATE Initiative: Early Access Summer 2021
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
KomandaHeck
Joined in 2008

by KomandaHeck » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:56 pm

Should I be holding on to these tracking bracelets I'm finding?

Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:38 pm

I'm in life support about to get the second arming key. There's a load of escape pods here to use. This feels like it's close to the end....is it?

Hexx
Joined in 2008

by Hexx » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:11 am

It's tricky cus there's side stuff etc - but yeah you're pretty close to the end (assuming you're on the keys to the kingdom mission)

Jenuall
Joined in 2008

by Jenuall » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:28 am

What Hexx said - you are closer to the end that the beginning in terms of the main "quest" but there are plenty of other bits you could still have to do, and depending on your approach to gameplay what is left could still take a little while.

Return to “Games”