Giant Bomb in’s and outs | Jeff Gerstmann leaves……Dan Ryckert returns!

Anything to do with games at all.
coldspice
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Vinny Caravella/Alex Navarro/Brad Shoemaker all leaving Giant Bomb this week
by coldspice » Wed May 05, 2021 9:56 am

The gaming media outlet "fun startup > growth > buyout > everybody leaves" cycle predictable as ever.

Tafdolphin
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Vinny Caravella/Alex Navarro/Brad Shoemaker all leaving Giant Bomb this week
by Tafdolphin » Wed May 05, 2021 11:09 am

Oh man. Just watched the Giant Bomb Cast where they announced their leaving and Vinny choking up near the end actually made me go all watery-eyed. God, I'm really going to miss those old farts. :(

EDIT: And then the Ryan Davies shout out at the very end. That was unexpectedly very emotional.

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
EXOGATE Initiative: Early Access Summer 2021
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Wed May 05, 2021 11:26 am

Not something I've ever listened to or visited, but I know what it's like when these things eventually end as I really missed the PSM2/3 and Xbox World 360 DVD/podcasts when they ended. That had to be about 10 years of brilliance.

kazanova_Frankenstein
Joined in 2008

by kazanova_Frankenstein » Wed May 05, 2021 11:27 am

Yeah, it was quite an emotional view.

KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Wed May 05, 2021 11:38 am

coldspice wrote:The gaming media outlet "fun startup > growth > buyout > everybody leaves" cycle predictable as ever.

By the end all you've ended up buying is a name.

Is Giant Bomb the website where one of them left recently for another podcast job with WWE?

ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

by ITSMILNER » Wed May 05, 2021 12:02 pm

KK wrote:
coldspice wrote:The gaming media outlet "fun startup > growth > buyout > everybody leaves" cycle predictable as ever.

By the end all you've ended up buying is a name.

Is Giant Bomb the website where one of them left recently for another podcast job with WWE?

Yeah Dan left and works on WWE pods and stuff now

The way Vinny spoke on this weeks pod. Sounds like the job really took it’s toll on their home life which I never expected (again, I don’t frequent the site so no idea how much content they churn out)

Johnny Ryall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig

by Johnny Ryall » Wed May 05, 2021 12:51 pm

I believe Vinny ended up covering nearly everything from technical production to hosting and being a people manager and everything in between.

ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

by ITSMILNER » Fri May 07, 2021 9:47 am

Beastcast this week has Dan, Austin and Abby along with Vinny, Alex and Bakalaar, will listen to it over the weekend

kazanova_Frankenstein
Joined in 2008

by kazanova_Frankenstein » Fri May 07, 2021 10:47 am

That one feels like it will be worth watching (i usually listen also).

I will really miss the Beastcast. Im genuinely gutted. They made me laugh so hard on occasion. Not sure where to go for my gaming podcast fix now. Back to EZA i guess, though the GB crew humour was much more on my wavelength.

GrinWithoutaKat
Joined in 2009

by GrinWithoutaKat » Fri May 07, 2021 10:58 am

I've loved these guys since the days where Gamespot were just starting out with video content, but at some point I just felt like the Bomb Cast was more about food or wrestling than games and I just completely stopped listening. It's a shame, as those guys and the 1UP crew were like hanging out with friends, talking games. There's not really any gaming podcasts that hook me the same way those did, but that could be more about me than the podcasts. The 360/PS3 era was the first time I could start a gen and have the money to buy whatever games I wanted, and I was so into playing the next big game when everyone else was. I've not been like that for a while now.

Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

by Pedz » Fri May 07, 2021 11:40 am

GrinWithoutaKat wrote:I've loved these guys since the days where Gamespot were just starting out with video content, but at some point I just felt like the Bomb Cast was more about food or wrestling than games and I just completely stopped listening. It's a shame, as those guys and the 1UP crew were like hanging out with friends, talking games. There's not really any gaming podcasts that hook me the same way those did, but that could be more about me than the podcasts. The 360/PS3 era was the first time I could start a gen and have the money to buy whatever games I wanted, and I was so into playing the next big game when everyone else was. I've not been like that for a while now.

Have you tried listening to the GRcade Twitchcast?

kazanova_Frankenstein
Joined in 2008

by kazanova_Frankenstein » Fri May 07, 2021 7:42 pm

That last Beastcast was fantastic. I miss it already. Some really funny anecdotes in there.

HaruKazuhira
Joined in 2018

by HaruKazuhira » Fri May 07, 2021 9:12 pm

Used to religiously consume GB content back in the day but eventually stopped vibing with some of their direction. Felt bad since it was a little while before Ryan passed. I know that hit them pretty hard, especially Jeff. Sucks to see the OGs leave but I wish em all the best. Pretty much anyone leaving GB goes on to bigger and better things so I have no doubt these guys will continue to excel in their fields.

Lex-Man
Joined in 2008

by Lex-Man » Mon May 17, 2021 9:43 pm

What's the chances that Jeff Gerstmann just starts making the odd video on some other podcast rather than continue with the website.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
Tafdolphin
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
Joined in 2008

by Tafdolphin » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:57 pm

twitter.com/nextlander/status/1401940490816208904

If I hadn't just subbed to Waypoint+ I'd be all over this. But I can't wait to hear the three of them again, I really thought Vinny would go back to production and Brad would stick with his tech based stuff.

Games wot I worked on:
Johnny Ryall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig

by Johnny Ryall » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:59 pm

Was just About to post that. Cements my opinion they got pushed out by new management trimming salaries. Happy I’ll get to hear their voices again.

Edd
Joined in 2015

by Edd » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:03 pm

Awesome, did assume/hope they'd do something like this but the way they sounded in their last podcasts it really sounded like they, Vinny in particular, were done with all this content creator, on camera stuff. Now hopefully Jeff will join them some time in the future once it gets going.

HaruKazuhira
Joined in 2018

by HaruKazuhira » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:37 pm

Wish them all the best. I struggle trying to keep up with several outlets these days so I prob won't be listening but will def follow their account.

Stuart
Joined in 2021

PostRe: Vinny Caravella/Alex Navarro/Brad Shoemaker leave Giant Bomb and create Nextlander (PG.2)
by Stuart » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:48 pm

Good luck to them. I tried GiantBomb for a period but could not understand the appeal, the main hosts seem very world-weary & had little knowledge on the games they were playing, some of the guests were engaging though.

Tafdolphin
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Vinny Caravella/Alex Navarro/Brad Shoemaker leave Giant Bomb and create Nextlander (PG.2)
by Tafdolphin » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:55 pm

World weary yes, little knowledge... no. Giant Bomb isn't for everyone but it's hard to think of another outlet that (had) so much concentrated knowledge and experience of videogames.

Listening to this now. It's the guys! They do seem slightly reticent to even mention GB so yeah. Something went down.

Oh well, it's great so far!

EDIT: One of their pillars is control, so yeah sounds like Red Ventures wasn't where any of them wanted to be.

Games wot I worked on:

Return to “Games”