Nintendo Switch Chat Thread V

Anything to do with games at all.
Rex Kramer
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Nintendo Switch Chat Thread V
by Rex Kramer » Fri May 07, 2021 12:49 pm

Ecno wrote:I'm looking to buy a Switch today so I can play Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance. I've seen talk of a potential new Switch console, is it worth waiting for instead?

In terms of what games to play, I don't really have the time to play anything massive, but my favourite games are Action RPGs (Lost Kingdoms 2 and Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance), is Monster Hunter worth picking up? What is the Switch Paper Mario game like? What is the current Mario Kart like, I still think my favourite is Double Dash, and I didn't really get on with the Wii one.

As an aside I need a birthday present for my sister, usually I just get her a Switch game. I was going to get her Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 but that seems out of stock everywhere. She's been playing the GC Harvest Moon recently and I see that there's a Switch HM. Looking at the trailer though it looks like a bit of step back?

Animal Crossing would be the obvious suggestion. Otherwise, I'd heard good things about Sakura Rice and Ruin.

VlaSoul
Joined in 2018
AKA: Vtheyoshi

by VlaSoul » Fri May 07, 2021 12:58 pm

Ecno wrote:I'm looking to buy a Switch today so I can play Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance. I've seen talk of a potential new Switch console, is it worth waiting for instead?

In terms of what games to play, I don't really have the time to play anything massive, but my favourite games are Action RPGs (Lost Kingdoms 2 and Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance), is Monster Hunter worth picking up? What is the Switch Paper Mario game like? What is the current Mario Kart like, I still think my favourite is Double Dash, and I didn't really get on with the Wii one.

As an aside I need a birthday present for my sister, usually I just get her a Switch game. I was going to get her Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 but that seems out of stock everywhere. She's been playing the GC Harvest Moon recently and I see that there's a Switch HM. Looking at the trailer though it looks like a bit of step back?

Monster Hunter is great if you're willing to put in the time, there's a port of Dragon's Dogma on Switch as well if that's your speed. MK8 is pretty good though fairly different to DD.

For your sister, Stardew Valley or the remaster of Rune Factory 4 might be a good shout

was Vtheyoshi on (S)ONM. V I was, V I remain
sig made by the venerable Krik
Rik_
Joined in 2015

by Rik_ » Fri May 07, 2021 1:09 pm

Seconding Stardew Valley as a gift for your sister, I'm not even that into farming sims and I've somehow ended up with nearly a hundred hours on it. Monster Hunter is also definitely worth it, maybe give the demo a go before buying though just to see if it's right for you as it's not always everyone's cup of tea.

PSN - Rik2209
Switch - SW-7686-7983-2581
Discord - rik#3968
OrangeRKN
Community Sec.
Joined in 2015

by OrangeRKN » Fri May 07, 2021 1:43 pm

Ecno wrote:As an aside I need a birthday present for my sister, usually I just get her a Switch game. I was going to get her Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 but that seems out of stock everywhere. She's been playing the GC Harvest Moon recently and I see that there's a Switch HM. Looking at the trailer though it looks like a bit of step back?

Harvest Moon on Switch is actually a completely separate franchise to Harvest Moon on GC. It's a bit confusing and comes down to publishing and naming rights. From Wikipedia:

Previously, Natsume published the series Bokujō Monogatari in North America under the title Harvest Moon. However, the developer, original publisher and owner of this series, Marvelous, decided to have their own American division, Xseed Games, take over North American distribution in 2014. However, due to Natsume keeping the rights to the Harvest Moon name, the latest titles in the series were rebranded Story of Seasons while Natsume began to produce their own series under the Harvest Moon name.

tl;dr Harvest Moon is now Story of Seasons.

I am sorry this must now occupy your brain like it does mine.

orkn.uk - Top 5 Games of 2023 - SW-6533-2461-3235
Robbo-92
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92

by Robbo-92 » Fri May 07, 2021 1:46 pm

I really need to give Stardew Valley another go, I keep thinking I should be loving it but so far I’ve just failed to get into it.

Rik_
Joined in 2015

by Rik_ » Fri May 07, 2021 2:02 pm

I think it helps if you have an idea of what you're doing - I started out on a multiplayer farm with my gf and her best friend who've both played it/watched streams of it loads before so they were both telling me what to do with lots of it, so when I started my own farm I didn't get as overwhelmed by figuring out what to do which helped me get really into it. Maybe try starting a new farm and see if having more of an idea of how things work from the get-go helps it click more would be my advice.

(also don't choose river farm there is absolutely no space and every day i regret picking it)

PSN - Rik2209
Discord - rik#3968
Ecno
Joined in 2008

by Ecno » Fri May 07, 2021 2:04 pm

She's played Stardew valley to death already, and she already has Animal Crossing. Sounds like it'll be either that rice game or the Seasons HM thing.

Donate to the Ukrainian Military's fight against fascism.

https://bank.gov.ua/en/news/all/natsion ... ebi-armiyi

Contact your MP to voice support for Ukraine
Memento Mori
Joined in 2008
AKA: Emperor Mori

by Memento Mori » Fri May 07, 2021 2:21 pm

Personally I'm expecting a Switch Pro release in early Q4.

Robbo-92
Joined in 2018

by Robbo-92 » Fri May 07, 2021 2:23 pm

The thing that kept me from playing Stardew was how insanely fast the days went by, from the opening I got the impression it was meant to be a slower pace of life, nice and relaxing and so on but I just found myself constantly worried about how much I was missing by how quick the days went, if they ever released an option for a days to be twice as long I’d probably like it a lot more.

Rik_
Joined in 2015

by Rik_ » Fri May 07, 2021 2:34 pm

Yeah, the days do seem to fly by, but as you get further on you unlock options to automate a lot of the processes - things like sprinklers to water crops for you, auto-feeders and auto-grabbers for your coops and barns, warp totems and minecarts to make it easier getting around etc. It's also a case of building up to a point where you don't really need to bother with crops - in the back end of the first year up to summer of the second year I wouldn't finish all my farm chores till like 2pm, but now that most of my money comes from artisan products I'm generally finished by like 9-10am at the latest (and make anywhere between 10-50k per day depending on what's ready to sell lol).

Alternatively if you're willing to double dip and buy it on PC there are also *loads* of mods for quality-of-life changes, I'm sure there are options for extending the day out there. There's also stuff like no energy consumption and faster walking speeds depending how much easier you want to make things.

PSN - Rik2209
Discord - rik#3968
Ecno
Joined in 2008

by Ecno » Fri May 07, 2021 2:41 pm

Memento Mori wrote:

Well I just ordered my Switch. Seems to be a complete lack of controllers out there, I wanted those GC ones and a Pro. Didn't order any games though. Trying to think what I actually will play, as I've still got a pile of shrink wrapped PS4 games.

Memento Mori
Joined in 2008

by Memento Mori » Fri May 07, 2021 2:42 pm

Ecno wrote:
Memento Mori wrote:

Well I just ordered my Switch. Seems to be a complete lack of controllers out there, I wanted those GC ones and a Pro. Didn't order any games though. Trying to think what I actually will play, as I've still got a pile of shrink wrapped PS4 games.

Currys have Switch Pro controllers in stock. Use quidco with Currys.

Robbo-92
Joined in 2018

by Robbo-92 » Fri May 07, 2021 2:46 pm

I seem to recall I actually own it on Steam when it was on sale for a couple of quid, I just very don’t load it up as I’m very rarely on the PC these days. I do understand where you’re coming from as well, that you try and automate a lot of the daily stuff, but by that point it just wouldn’t feel like a farming sim? Hence why doubling/extending the length of the day (or at least an option to) would be ideal really as it’d feel like a nice compromise to me so it still feels like a farming sim (unless you choose to automate a lot of it, stuff like sprinklers just to eliminate the watering) but you don’t feel in a rush at the start all the time.

Ecno
Joined in 2008

by Ecno » Fri May 07, 2021 2:53 pm

Memento Mori wrote:
Ecno wrote:
Memento Mori wrote:

Currys have Switch Pro controllers in stock. Use quidco with Currys.

Brilliant, thanks

Memento Mori
Joined in 2008

by Memento Mori » Fri May 07, 2021 3:07 pm

Ever since getting a Switch Pro controller, I've just been using it to play while docked.

still
Joined in 2008

by still » Fri May 07, 2021 5:08 pm

Ecno wrote:She's played Stardew valley to death already, and she already has Animal Crossing. Sounds like it'll be either that rice game or the Seasons HM thing.

‘That rice game’ is awesome, (but different..).

Ecno
Joined in 2008

by Ecno » Fri May 07, 2021 5:22 pm

There seems to be a a lot of Mario games, are any of them like those levels in S64 and SMS where you get zoomed to platform stages?

Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

by Preezy » Fri May 07, 2021 6:48 pm

Not a single game on my eshop wishlist is on sale at the moment, what the hell are Nintendo playing at? :x

Balladeer
Joined in 2018

by Balladeer » Fri May 07, 2021 7:08 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:
Ecno wrote:As an aside I need a birthday present for my sister, usually I just get her a Switch game. I was going to get her Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 but that seems out of stock everywhere. She's been playing the GC Harvest Moon recently and I see that there's a Switch HM. Looking at the trailer though it looks like a bit of step back?

Harvest Moon on Switch is actually a completely separate franchise to Harvest Moon on GC. It's a bit confusing and comes down to publishing and naming rights. From Wikipedia:

Previously, Natsume published the series Bokujō Monogatari in North America under the title Harvest Moon. However, the developer, original publisher and owner of this series, Marvelous, decided to have their own American division, Xseed Games, take over North American distribution in 2014. However, due to Natsume keeping the rights to the Harvest Moon name, the latest titles in the series were rebranded Story of Seasons while Natsume began to produce their own series under the Harvest Moon name.

tl;dr Harvest Moon is now Story of Seasons.

I am sorry this must now occupy your brain like it does mine.

Also apparently the edition of Story of Seasons on Switch isn't the best either.

still wrote:
Ecno wrote:She's played Stardew valley to death already, and she already has Animal Crossing. Sounds like it'll be either that rice game or the Seasons HM thing.

‘That rice game’ is awesome, (but different..).

'That rice game' is both awesome and different. It's got a substantial action component on top of the rice farming, and is pretty hard. (You can alter the difficulty levels of the farming and the action separately though.)

Ecno wrote:There seems to be a a lot of Mario games, are any of them like those levels in S64 and SMS where you get zoomed to platform stages?

Not quite sure what you're referring to, but Mario Odyssey is the obvious follow-up to 64 and Sunshine (as well as being one of the best games in all of ever). 3D World meanwhile is more of a 2D/3D Mario hybrid, with the distinct advantage that you could play it in co-op with your sister.

Robbo-92
Joined in 2018

by Robbo-92 » Fri May 07, 2021 7:39 pm

Think my joycons are ready for another lot of contact cleaner.

Return to “Games”