Oddly enjoyable?

Anything to do with games at all.
Peter Crisp
Joined in 2008

PostOddly enjoyable?
by Peter Crisp » Fri May 14, 2021 8:18 pm

For some unknown reason, I started playing Sniper Elite 4 on Xbox as it's on gamepass and I have to say I'm finding it really rather enjoyable.

I'm playing on normal and still kind of suck but the sneaking about is rather different to my normal headless chicken tactic in most FPS games.
I have a feeling I'm going to stick with it until the end and maybe give the harder difficulty settings a go which is shocking considering I suck donkey balls at sniping.

So, what was the last game to surprise you by being something you don't normally enjoy?

Vermilion wrote:I'd rather live in Luton.
rinks
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Oddly enjoyable?
by rinks » Fri May 14, 2021 9:10 pm

After all you’ve said about snipers?

JCDenton
Joined in 2020

by JCDenton » Fri May 14, 2021 9:11 pm

I like to pick 'em off from a distance. I'll take the rifle.

Peter Crisp
Joined in 2008

by Peter Crisp » Fri May 14, 2021 9:15 pm

rinks wrote:After all you’ve said about snipers?

I know :lol: .

I started it as a bit of a challenge just to see how long it would take for me to realise I still suck at sniping and I think because this is super slow-paced compared to something like Battlefield or R6 I only mostly suck.
It surprised the heck out of me :shifty: .

rinks
Joined in 2008

by rinks » Fri May 14, 2021 9:50 pm

I totally get it. I’m the same. Love the stealth element of sniper rifles in single-player games, but in a competitive multiplayer my skills don’t stack up, and it’s a horrendous experience.

Peter Crisp
Joined in 2008

by Peter Crisp » Mon May 17, 2021 1:41 pm

I've been flying through Sniper Elite 4 and doing all the side missions as well.

The slow pace of the game and the fact that restarting from a failed strategy is instant is making this a fun experience.
I still suck at sniping as my reaction times are abysmal but I feel this game is just about right for me.
I may even replay the missions on the harder difficulty settings after my normal playthrough.

So far it's a 9.5/10 from me.

kerr9000
Joined in 2013

by kerr9000 » Mon May 17, 2021 3:30 pm

I can't really stand football , I will watch the odd England match but find club level stuff boring as anything yet I have over the years really enjoyed a lot of football manager games , I guess I'm just a sucker for stat screens and decisions

I'm currently playing the new one on Game Pass and managing Notts County trying to get them out of the bottom league.

Photek
Joined in 2008

by Photek » Mon May 17, 2021 3:35 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:I've been flying through Sniper Elite 4 and doing all the side missions as well.

The slow pace of the game and the fact that restarting from a failed strategy is instant is making this a fun experience.
I still suck at sniping as my reaction times are abysmal but I feel this game is just about right for me.
I may even replay the missions on the harder difficulty settings after my normal playthrough.

So far it's a 9.5/10 from me.

I've played through most of it with my mate, the FPS boost does make it MUCH better but the co-op is brilliant.

Ironhide
Fiend
Joined in 2008

by Ironhide » Mon May 17, 2021 4:04 pm

kerr9000 wrote:I can't really stand football , I will watch the odd England match but find club level stuff boring as anything yet I have over the years really enjoyed a lot of football manager games , I guess I'm just a sucker for stat screens and decisions

I'm currently playing the new one on Game Pass and managing Notts County trying to get them out of the bottom league.

I too can't stand football yet once bought (at full RRP) and enjoyed playing ISS64.

I also couldn't imagine enjoying deck building trading card games in real life but have spent several hundred hours playing games like Slay the Spire and Neoverse. can't get into some of the more traditional ones like Hearthstone and Magic: The Gathering though.

Balladeer
Joined in 2018

by Balladeer » Mon May 17, 2021 4:12 pm

Ironhide wrote:
kerr9000 wrote:I can't really stand football , I will watch the odd England match but find club level stuff boring as anything yet I have over the years really enjoyed a lot of football manager games , I guess I'm just a sucker for stat screens and decisions

I too can't stand football yet once bought (at full RRP) and enjoyed playing ISS64.

Same but 98!

I then bought the Wii FIFA to try and recreate the magic, and hated how the players felt. All the smoothness gone.

Abacus
Joined in 2018

by Abacus » Mon May 17, 2021 4:59 pm

Also quite got into Sniper Elite 4, and only tried it because of Gamepass too.

There's something so satisfying about making a plan, taking your time and then executing it just right, whittling away at your enemies.

The whole breathe before you shoot mechanic is done really well as well.

It's a very mindful game. Also, great seeing your enemies get a mindful of lead in slo-mo as well.

D_C
Joined in 2011

by D_C » Mon May 17, 2021 5:22 pm

Funny story about Sniper Elite - I'd never heard of the Welrod (The suppressed pistol in the game) until playing it, so looked it up online and turns out it was developed in a secret research base in my own town (Welwyn, hence the Wel part). Small strawberry floating world eh?
It sounded like the Q branch from the Bond films, also making the Welbike (A fold up motorbike) among other contraptions.

In terms of oddly enjoyable games, I've put a good few hours into some of the sim games (Farming Sim, Euro Truck Sim). Oddly relaxing.

Abacus
Joined in 2018

by Abacus » Mon May 17, 2021 7:31 pm

Since this seems to be the deviant's thread...

There is a wine making simulator (Hundred Days it's called) on sale on Stadia right now.

I'm oddly tempted.

Imagine taking ages making my own perfect wine, making a success of my business, but never being able to drink it myself :nod:

Imrahil
Joined in 2013

by Imrahil » Mon May 17, 2021 7:59 pm

Reminds me of when I randomly bought Nick Faldo Championship Golf for my Amiga in the early 90s. I had no interest in golf but I ended up loving it and playing it to death. Never touched a golf game since.

But for a more recent example, probably Pinball FX 2+3 on PC/Steam. Never liked pinball games before but tried it on a whim and I've put in an embarrassing number of hours into loads of tables.

Ironhide
Fiend
Joined in 2008

by Ironhide » Mon May 17, 2021 8:11 pm

Abacus wrote:Since this seems to be the deviant's thread...

There is a wine making simulator (Hundred Days it's called) on sale on Stadia right now.

I'm oddly tempted.

Imagine taking ages making my own perfect wine, making a success of my business, but never being able to drink it myself :nod:

I'm also strangely tempted to buy that.

I'd prefer a game about distilling whisky though.

imbusydoctorwho
Joined in 2018

by imbusydoctorwho » Tue May 18, 2021 2:05 pm

Plants Vz Zombies Battle For Neighbourvile.
Never been into the series but I heard some positive things about the Switch port, so I decided to get it and I'm really enjoying it. Daft and fun family freidnly shooter with plenty of content for both online and offline play. Also it's a very respectable Switch port too boot.

Return to “Games”