Xbox Game Pass - Harold Halibut, Botany Manor, LEGO 2K Drive, Diablo 4, Evil West, Control:UE, Dead Island 2 out now

Anything to do with games at all.
Knoyleo
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Xbox Game Pass - Aragami 2, Flynn: Son of Crimson, I Am Fish, SkateBird, Superliminal, The Artful Escape out now.
by Knoyleo » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:16 pm

LewisD wrote:Completed Superliminal last night. Only took a few hours, but really really enjoyed it.

Very much in the same vein as portal, so if you enjoyed Portal you'd like Superliminal.
Some of the puzzles were an utter headfuck, culminating in a "OF COURSE THAT'S HOW IT'S DONE!" moment! :lol:

Neat. Been half interested in this for a while, but wasn't sure enough to fork out for it before. Will be sure to give it a look.

pjbetman wrote:That's the stupidest thing ive ever read on here i think.
Jenuall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall

PostRe: Xbox Game Pass - Aragami 2, Flynn: Son of Crimson, I Am Fish, SkateBird, Superliminal, The Artful Escape out now.
by Jenuall » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:00 pm

Tried the PC app game streaming last night with mixed results. The input lag was much better than I experienced from the previous xCloud beta tests which was a really good change, but the image quality seems to have nose dived with significantly more noise in the image and significant macro blocking.

So one step forward and two steps back really!

Bertie
Joined in 2011

by Bertie » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:15 pm

I tried the streaming earlier too. Gave halo 5 a go.

I’m not entirely sure it’s playable. But then I did play a mission and a half before connection dropped and kicked me out. There was quite a bit of loss of image quality in the intro sequences and a big loss of image during mission 1. Had to pause and wait for the image to come back. Input lag was a problem for me, it doesn’t feel fluid or snappy at all. There were sections, especially with the more agile enemies where I felt I was fighting the streaming as much as the game itself.

Not convinced.

Monkey Man
Joined in 2008

by Monkey Man » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:03 pm

Out 15th October, directed by Swery.

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by Moggy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:05 pm

Monkey Man wrote:

Out 15th October, directed by Swery.

1970s Felicity Kendal :datass:

rinks
Joined in 2008

by rinks » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:07 pm

No no no, we're not watching the bloody Good Life. Bloody bloody bloody.

kazanova_Frankenstein
Joined in 2008

by kazanova_Frankenstein » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:19 am

Will hold on for the Margo DLC

Bertie
Joined in 2011

by Bertie » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:03 pm

Played through Omno the last couple of nights. It’s a lovely lovely game. Very relaxed, soothing music and just nice. I haven’t really played journey for a long time but reminded me of it. I can recommend.

Monkey Man
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Xbox Game Pass - Sable, Subnautica: Below Zero, Lost Words, Aragami 2, Flynn: Son of Crimson, I Am Fish out now.
by Monkey Man » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:26 am

Mixed reviews for Sable, sounds like it might be worth waiting for a few patches, 77% on metacritic - https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/sable?ref=hp

PC Gamer - 93/100
Sable's lonely, heartfelt journey of self-discovery will sit with me for a lifetime.

PC Invasion - 9/10
Striking, peaceful, and wholly focused on exploring at your own pace, Sable is a joy to play. The optimization could use some serious work, but this is an extremely compelling game that offers a better open-world experience than many AAA developers have crafted.

Paste Magazine - 9/10
Sable may dwell in the ruins, but she is alive. She is well. I take great comfort in that.

Gaming Trend - 90/100
Sable is high on the list of game of the year contenders in one jam packed with them. It's a gorgeous, immersive coming of age story that happens organically and at your own pace - you can see as much or as little of the game as you like. While it certainly has its share of issues, Midden is just a place you have to visit.

But Why Tho? - 9/10
Playing Sable very well may be as close as one can get to a meditative experience while playing a game. Few games feel as good to simply exist within as Sable. The game's gorgeous visuals, warm and comforting music, and intuitive game design all come together to create a unique experience about trying to find one's place in the world through an expression of an individual's freedom.

Wccftech - 9/10
For those yearning to explore, Sable offers the chance to do it at your own speed, with your own goals, and without the need to exert violence or experience shocking twists. Sable is confident the world is interesting enough and is completely right in that regard.

Checkpoint Gaming - 9/10
The occasional bug and missing stamina upgrades are really the only negatives I can lodge at Sable. I can think of very few games that have presented such a beautiful harmony of its attributes. Everything supports everything else. The story implores you to go out into the world, to see all that there is to see. The gameplay ensures that the focus is always on the vistas that lay before you, and it's all stylised beautifully. The game creates a view of which I cannot tire. This is truly one of the most well-conceived and executed games that I have seen in a very long time. It's one of those games that truly is using everything to its maximum potential.

DualShockers - 9/10
The occasional bug and missing stamina upgrades are really the only negatives I can lodge at Sable. I can think of very few games that have presented such a beautiful harmony of its attributes. Everything supports everything else. The story implores you to go out into the world, to see all that there is to see. The gameplay ensures that the focus is always on the vistas that lay before you, and it's all stylised beautifully. The game creates a view of which I cannot tire.

Game Informer - 8.75/10
Sable ends in the same way it starts, at home with family. The narrative payoff is not actually about your final choice, and that may rub more goal-oriented players the wrong way. However, I found the conclusion a fitting end to a side quest-filled exploration game. For those who love to explore, I can't recommend Sable enough. Every element – beautiful graphics, compelling traversal, and player-driven plot – works together to ensure I simply lose myself in the world.

GamesRadar+ - 4⭐️
Sable is downright beautiful in its execution and storytelling, and captures an innate desire for exploration like few other open-world games.

CGMagazine - 8/10
Sable borrows a popular and tried and tested approach to open-world game design and gives it a truly unique feel indicative of the works of the French artist Moebius. The lack of combat may turn some off from playing the game—however, for those looking for a casual game where exploration and light puzzle-solving comes first, it's hard not to recommend Sable.

PCGamesN - 8/10
A sweetly told tale of youth, travel, and self-discovery that's not afraid to wear its inspirations on its sleeve. In turbulent, inward-looking times, Sable is a true comfort.

Shack News - 8/10
Sable is a beautiful story about self-discovery. It's themes of solitude and what it means to be independent strongly resonated with me. The game is bolstered by a one-of-a-kind art style and an excellently crafted original soundtrack. If you can handle a slow burn and push some UI issues aside, Sable is an overwhelmingly pleasant experience.

Screen Rant - 4⭐️
With its beautiful design, surprisingly deep lore, and comforting soundtrack, Sable provides a joyful and inspiring escape that would be a shame to miss out on.

Windows Central - 3.5⭐️
With its striking art direction, haunting soundtrack and focus on exploration, Sable is a great journey about understanding yourself. Frequent stuttering and some bugs bring the experience down though.

GameSpew - 7/10
If the idea of a game that offers you a true sense of freedom appeals to you, you'll undoubtedly get a kick out of Sable. Its expertly-crafted narrative alone will inspire you to keep going, but repetitive quests and an often barren world may dampen your spirits a little. Still, there's a lot to enjoy here, and if its art style resonates with you, you'll find it easy to lose hour after hour in Sable's unique world.

IGN - 7/10
Sable is a beautiful, minimalist voyage that's hindered by bugs and bland puzzles.

TheSixthAxis - 7/10
Sable is a truly wondrous and serene experience at times, but lift the mask and you find it's also one that has its flaws and inconveniences. If you can see past its weaknesses, this is a journey of pure and innocent discovery that's well worth taking.

Noisy Pixel - 7/10
When it comes to sound design and visual style, Sable blew me away. I couldn't help but smile and prepare to get lost in a beautiful world. Unfortunately, that feeling doesn't take long to fade away. There's definitely enough to keep you engaged and interested, but I just yearned to get more out of this game, especially as it has compelling elements within the groundwork.

Jump Dash Roll - 7/10
In a gaming landscape where everything has to be big, bold and brash, Sable stands out as a calm escape from the norm. Its relaxing, low-fi approach with an equally soothing soundtrack will be the perfect escape for those who wish to just kick back, relax and explore.‍

Guide Fall - 6.5/10
Sable is a third-person exploration game about riding a hoverbike through a huge desert and looking for adventure. It gives you plenty of room for relaxing rides, and there are enough activities floating around to keep you busy.

GFINITY - 3/5
There's plenty to like about Sable but ultimately, this isn't for everyone. Due to performance issues, weak endings, lack of direction and a failure to explain key elements, several flaws hold it back. However, by offering strong narrative freedom, enjoyable exploration without combat, and a unique visual approach, Sable still felt quite refreshing in some regards. Ultimately, it's an entertaining debut by Shedwork and if you can look past those flaws, it comes recommended.

GameSkinny - 6/10
Sable's premise is novel, if not entirely new. Its minimalistic gameplay, at times, helps sell a more personable experience. Regrettably, the minimalism cuts both ways as Sable's barren world betrays the game's emphasis on exploration.

TrueAchievements - 6/10
There's no doubt in my mind that Sable is a game that will work best when experienced as a personal, non-thorough Gliding that comes to a natural end long before any rot has a chance to set in. But with so many incentives (both in and around the game) for trawling every sandy inch of the world in search of worms, badges, and whatever else, the mixed messages Sable sends are probably going to lead to a lot of people playing in a way that actually works to the game's detriment.

The Gamer - 6/10
They say every journey starts with a single step, but in the case of Sable, the journey starts with the arduous task of assembling a motorbike. Sable is a game that looks gorgeous and occasionally does gorgeous things, but too often it's a drab and lifeless affair. It's a game that knows exactly how it makes you want to feel, but it doesn't quite have the gameplay to pull it off, and that means it's constantly fighting with itself.

Twinfinite - 6/10
Its messages certainly resonated with me but its gameplay lacked the variety to truly keep me hooked for lengthier sessions. If you're looking for a chill experience and can overlook any performance issues that aren't quite resolved by the time you pick it up, then Sable will deliver. I just can't help shake the feeling of missed potential here.

VGC - 6/10
There's nothing wrong with a game about doing simple things, and enjoying a relaxing journey in between, but in Sable, we could never relax.

Monster Vine - 2/5
Sable has good bones, and beautiful skin, but everything in between is broken and half formed. A few patches in, this game could easily become a cult classic. However, the issues in dialogue and quest design aren't likely to be patched away. Hopefully we'll see this concept tackled again, without all the bumps in the road launching it wildly off course.

Subnautica: Below Zero, Lost Words: Beyond the Page also out today.

aayl1
Sir Aaron of GRcade
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Xbox Game Pass - Sable, Subnautica: Below Zero, Lost Words, Aragami 2, Flynn: Son of Crimson, I Am Fish out now.
by aayl1 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:50 am

I'm a bit of an edge case as I exclusively access Game Pass games via streaming. I've got great internet but I'm not in a position to upgrade any hardware at this point. The browser streaming works well but I figured I'd check out the in app streaming now it's available.

Again, works well enough. Feels like the input lag is slightly better (although I never have too many issues with the lag via the browser) however there is a lot more artifacting and the app doesn't recognise my stadia controller (whereas the browser does). Have to use a plugged in PS4 controller.

aayl1
Sir Aaron of GRcade
Joined in 2008

by aayl1 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:52 am

aayl1 wrote:I'm a bit of an edge case as I exclusively access Game Pass games via streaming. I've got great internet but I'm not in a position to upgrade any hardware at this point. The browser streaming works well but I figured I'd check out the in app streaming now it's available.

Again, works well enough. Feels like the input lag is slightly better (although I never have too many issues with the lag via the browser) however there is a lot more artifacting and the app doesn't recognise my stadia controller (whereas the browser does). Have to use a plugged in PS4 controller.

I actually stream out to twitch games I'm streaming in to play (low key internet brag) but I think the image quality of the app isn't quite good enough to do this. Maybe I'll try a couple of streams and will see how it goes.

Very excited to try Below Zero.

Bertie
Joined in 2011

by Bertie » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:56 am

aayl1 wrote:I'm a bit of an edge case as I exclusively access Game Pass games via streaming. I've got great internet but I'm not in a position to upgrade any hardware at this point. The browser streaming works well but I figured I'd check out the in app streaming now it's available.

This is interesting. So try the browser version, instead of the App?

Jenuall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall

by Jenuall » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:14 am

I tried a few more games via streaming in the Xbox app last night and the experience was a bit better than last time - lag is almost at the point where it feels like playing a game locally now, much better than the Android and web browser beta tests. Visual fidelity still seems to be a bit of a step down though - it's not terrible but you can definitely tell you're playing a stream and not a native game.

It doesn't help that streaming doesn't seem to know what to do about a 1440p screen - games still seem to be rendered at 1080 (or possibly lower?) for the stream and then scaled up in a very basic way which adds to the fuzziness of the resulting image. Hopefully they can sort that out as I'm sure the XSX which is being used as the backend can output 1440p?

aayl1
Sir Aaron of GRcade
Joined in 2008

by aayl1 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:32 am

Bertie wrote:

This is interesting. So try the browser version, instead of the App?

I'd try both and see if you discern any difference! There are probably a lot of factors which come into play meaning the experience for both versions will likely differ from person to person, connection to connection etc.

SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by SEP » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:50 pm

Finished both Psychonauts games now, and had a jolly good time doing so.

Monkey Man
Joined in 2008

by Monkey Man » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:01 pm

twitter.com/writnelson/status/1441071679887667210

kazanova_Frankenstein
Joined in 2008

by kazanova_Frankenstein » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:11 pm

Finished up Superliminal today. Great game. Really messes with your mind and I found the difficulty perfect. Another fantastic game I would never played without Game Pass.

Rex Kramer
Joined in 2008

by Rex Kramer » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:05 pm

Tried Sable. Frame rate was a juddery mess in first 30 seconds. Think I'll wait for a patch.

Monkey Man
Joined in 2008

by Monkey Man » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:58 pm

twitter.com/DovetailFishing/status/1441417640380043280

Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Buffalo » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:54 am

Sorry to be lazy but I’m wondering what the difference is between Super Lucky’s Tale and New Super Lucky’s Tale, they seem to be 2 separate games? Doesn’t really look my bag but might be good to switch my brain off to.

Return to “Games”