Metroid Dread | NSW | Demo now available on the eshop

Anything to do with games at all.
Radish
Joined in 2021

PostRe: Metroid Dread | NSW | OUT NOW! | 89 Metacritic
by Radish » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:10 pm

It's a bit good this game is, I haven't played a 2D metroid since super metroid. Looks lovely and plays well so far anyway.
Only an hour in so far but I already struggling and getting lost and destroyed by Emmi's, I hope I find the first boss soon .

site23
Joined in 2021

by site23 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:35 pm

I have finished the game. I did get all the items in the end. It was good, I enjoyed it.

It took me just under 15 hours, but I am a very "let's slowly meander around and look at things" kind of player, so I assume most people will get in way under that.

Final boss took me something like six or seven tries.
I thought the first phase was manageable. Having plentiful power bombs for the big orbs helped. The second phase was pretty tough. I think the trick with the rapid fire move is to spin attack around him in a big circle.

Mafro
Joined in 2008
AKA: based

by Mafro » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:01 pm

site23 wrote:I have finished the game. I did get all the items in the end. It was good, I enjoyed it.

It took me just under 15 hours, but I am a very "let's slowly meander around and look at things" kind of player, so I assume most people will get in way under that.

Final boss took me something like six or seven tries.
I thought the first phase was manageable. Having plentiful power bombs for the big orbs helped. The second phase was pretty tough. I think the trick with the rapid fire move is to spin attack around him in a big circle.

Where would you rate it amongst the other games in the series.

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell weed in animal crossing new horizons today.

Twitter
site23
Joined in 2021

by site23 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:43 pm

Mafro wrote:Where would you rate it amongst the other games in the series.

I was thinking about this and it's actually pretty tough to decide! It's closest to Fusion in terms of what it sets out to do, and I really do like Fusion a lot but I think Dread is better. The movement and combat in Dread are just so good and really elevate it.

Prime is still my favourite Metroid, but what it excels at is the atmosphere and environment design and attention to detail (scanning! :wub: ) so I guess I like it for pretty different reasons.

Robbo-92
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92

by Robbo-92 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:04 pm

Just had another quick bash at Kraid and I really don’t think I was far of beating it that time! Got plenty of hits in the second phase (misses are very much your friend in this battle) and it felt like it was nearly down, I’ll definitely be persevering tomorrow with it!

Balladeer
Joined in 2018

by Balladeer » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:18 pm

I too have just finished the game with all items (yes I used walkthroughs to find some of them). That final boss. Woof. Also argh don't make me do a chase sequence straight afterwards you cruel bastards.

Big circle seems about right Site. I managed to take the smaller big orbs down with missiles. The sun-like thing got a good bombing.

Jenuall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall

by Jenuall » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:05 am

Just started this tonight, it's a bit good isn't it!? :toot:

Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

by Pedz » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:04 pm

Finding the final boss a struggle. It's the third phase. Phase 1 and 2 I can get through with losing health or very little health phase 3 the weird sun like orb blasts combind with the boss attacking makes it really hard to dodge either.

shy guy 64
Joined in 2018

by shy guy 64 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:15 pm

Pedz wrote:Finding the final boss a struggle. It's the third phase. Phase 1 and 2 I can get through with losing health or very little health phase 3 the weird sun like orb blasts combind with the boss attacking makes it really hard to dodge either.

when he readies the sun orb trying charging a power bomb. Get the timing right and should have plenty time

Join me on Sam Radio, Tuesdays at 4pm and Wednesdays at 3pm https://samradio.org/listen-now/
Jenuall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall

by Jenuall » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:23 pm

I love how slick Samus feels in this! Maneuverability has never been better and it all just feels very satisfying to handle.

I do enjoy the more "tank like" feel she had in earlier games and particularly in Prime, but I think there's room for both styles.

Enjoyed my first few EMMI encounters, nice bit of tension there!

Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

by Pedz » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:30 pm

shy guy 64 wrote:
Pedz wrote:Finding the final boss a struggle. It's the third phase. Phase 1 and 2 I can get through with losing health or very little health phase 3 the weird sun like orb blasts combind with the boss attacking makes it really hard to dodge either.

when he readies the sun orb trying charging a power bomb. Get the timing right and should have plenty time

Cheers. Will do that.

Balladeer
Joined in 2018

by Balladeer » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:47 pm

Jenuall wrote:Enjoyed my first few EMMI encounters, nice bit of tension there!

(meaningful look to camera)

Finished this last night with 100% of items. Found the final boss a struggle, but in a good way. Satisfying to beat.

8/10 game overall I think. Jenuall's faves brought the experience down for me a bit. Also, it just didn't feel special in the way the best Nintendo games do. That might be partly art design, and partly a certain lack of creativity.

Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

by Pedz » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:55 pm

Pedz wrote:
shy guy 64 wrote:

Cheers. Will do that.

I did what you said once and finished it straight away :lol:

shy guy 64
Joined in 2018

by shy guy 64 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:03 pm

Pedz wrote:
Pedz wrote:
shy guy 64 wrote:

Cheers. Will do that.

I did what you said once and finished it straight away :lol:

You had better luck than I

Join me on Sam Radio, Tuesdays at 4pm and Wednesdays at 3pm https://samradio.org/listen-now/
Zilnad
Joined in 2019

by Zilnad » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:19 pm

Am I even hurting the final boss by shooting him? I can't tell if the hit animation is supposed to look like he's absorbing the shots or if he's actually being hurt.

shy guy 64
Joined in 2018

by shy guy 64 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:29 pm

Zilnad wrote:Am I even hurting the final boss by shooting him? I can't tell if the hit animation is supposed to look like he's absorbing the shots or if he's actually being hurt.

stick to missiles that way you defiantly are

Balladeer
Joined in 2018

by Balladeer » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:31 pm

Zilnad wrote:Am I even hurting the final boss by shooting him? I can't tell if the hit animation is supposed to look like he's absorbing the shots or if he's actually being hurt.

When he goes gold you can't hurt him except for the QTEs. Otherwise you are, yes.

Zilnad
Joined in 2019

by Zilnad » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:36 pm

Thanks both, just finished 100% and I absolutely loved it.

I wish Prime was on Switch :(

Zilnad
Joined in 2019

by Zilnad » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:28 pm

Is Metroid Fusion a good one to play next? It would mean finding the charger for my 3DS though.

Met
Joined in 2015

by Met » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:46 pm

Before this Fusion was my favourite 2D game. It's slightly different in gameplay to typical metroids, being a little more guided, but the tone is very much more like Dread.

Return to “Games”