Metroid Dread | NSW | Demo now available on the eshop

Anything to do with games at all.
Jenuall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall

PostRe: Metroid Dread | NSW | OUT NOW! | 89 Metacritic
by Jenuall » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:56 pm

Tomous wrote:......or just include it in the tutorial screens ;)

Or at the very least encourage you to experiment so you know they're not explaining everything.

Well I think the game does do this to be fair - some of the items you can get are setup in ways that encourage the kind of experimentation that reveals this, that's how I found out about it at least!

ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

by ITSMILNER » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:29 pm

Has anybody used the Amiibo’s on your play through? Was thinking as I was playing the game and fighting a boss that, using the ones that refill your health, would probably make the game a lot easier for people.

shy guy 64
Joined in 2018

by shy guy 64 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:32 pm

ITSMILNER wrote:Has anybody used the Amiibo’s on your play through? Was thinking as I was playing the game and fighting a boss that, using the ones that refill your health, would probably make the game a lot easier for people.

not really. you can only use them once a day and you dont get much. certainly didnt help with the final boss

after a certain point youre better off just grabbing the x parasites

Join me on Sam Radio, Tuesdays at 4pm and Wednesdays at 3pm https://samradio.org/listen-now/
Yoshimi
Joined in 2008

by Yoshimi » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:47 pm

Argh! I was stuck for ages at the flying electric mini-boss. Finally got past it, and 10 mins later I'm stuck on the Red Chozo mini-boss on frozen Artaria!

Met
Joined in 2015

by Met » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:04 pm

Jenuall wrote:Do the EMMI's get more diverse then? In all honesty I can't really say I noticed much different about any of the ones I've faced so far, I think green might have been the last one I killed - it was the one that gives you the Speed Boost upgrade.

I've broadly stuck with the same tactics for all of them so far so it will be interesting to see if the last few force me to mix it up a bit

Basically they have slight variences. Like of the ones you saw you had the basic one, the one that could squeeze into gaps, then the one that could squeeze into gaps and was a speedyboi.

Kind of follows the same pattern going forward. Nothing too crazy, but enough twists to be annoying.

Jenuall
Joined in 2008

by Jenuall » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:16 pm

Met wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Do the EMMI's get more diverse then? In all honesty I can't really say I noticed much different about any of the ones I've faced so far, I think green might have been the last one I killed - it was the one that gives you the Speed Boost upgrade.

I've broadly stuck with the same tactics for all of them so far so it will be interesting to see if the last few force me to mix it up a bit

Basically they have slight variences. Like of the ones you saw you had the basic one, the one that could squeeze into gaps, then the one that could squeeze into gaps and was a speedyboi.

Kind of follows the same pattern going forward. Nothing too crazy, but enough twists to be annoying.

Ah okay fair enough! I can't say I spotted much difference between the last two and I had forgotten that the first one couldn't squeeze into gaps! :lol:

More thoughts on my last session:

I really liked the return of Kraid as a boss, I'm not a big Metroid nut so it wasn't an "OMG!!!" moment but I imagine it would have been really cool for the hardcore fans! It was a nice boss to fight as well with a good challenge and required you to mix things up a bit.

Conversely the boss you fight after Beakface dies was annoying - not because it was hard but because I was never convinced whether I was doing him any damage or not!

The map is still annoying me a little bit, it seems harder to spot things than I would like but I think I just need to use it more. It doesn't help that stuff I'm not interested in like the legend and button prompts are massive but the actually interesting things like details of items or doors on the map itself are tiny!

I'm not too keen on the pattern that seems to be emerging of locking you into a space after something progresses so that you have to teleport/train/elevator back to another area. It's happened at least 3 times now. Often you've just picked up a new upgrade and think - brilliant I remember where I can use this in the current area! Only to find out that you have to travel back to another area and make a long trawl back around another way if you want to use it where you were! It's no game breaker and I don't mind it happening a few times but it's getting a little tropey now.

I really love how the game looks! I was very sceptical of this aspect when the first trailers dropped but actually sitting here playing it reveals it to be a very handsome looking thing!

ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

by ITSMILNER » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:00 pm

shy guy 64 wrote:
ITSMILNER wrote:Has anybody used the Amiibo’s on your play through? Was thinking as I was playing the game and fighting a boss that, using the ones that refill your health, would probably make the game a lot easier for people.

not really. you can only use them once a day and you dont get much. certainly didnt help with the final boss

Can’t you us the multiple Samus Amiibo to top up once a day? So if you had 3 Samus figures you can top up your health 3 times per day?

shy guy 64
Joined in 2018

by shy guy 64 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:03 pm

ITSMILNER wrote:
shy guy 64 wrote:

Can’t you us the multiple Samus Amiibo to top up once a day? So if you had 3 Samus figures you can top up your health 3 times per day?

Dunno only got the one

Join me on Sam Radio, Tuesdays at 4pm and Wednesdays at 3pm https://samradio.org/listen-now/
kerr9000
Joined in 2013

by kerr9000 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:17 pm

On my second time through got 96% of items in 10hours and 40 minutes, probably going to try to get to 100 before heading to the last boss... I dont get how some have finished it at 100% so blooming fast some of this stuff is blooming hard to find.

Balladeer
Joined in 2018

by Balladeer » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:33 pm

:shifty: walkthrough

Jenuall
Joined in 2008

by Jenuall » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:34 pm

The map flashes on areas where items are though doesn't it? Or are some things properly hidden?

Robbo-92
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92

by Robbo-92 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:34 pm

Anyone have an idea what % of items are behind shine spark puzzles? Obviously not delved too much into trying to learn how to properly shine spark yet (as I’ve not had chance to jump on this again, hopefully soon!) as I’ve only just recently got the ability but I’m just interested in case I don’t get the hang of it, don’t want to be missing out on loads of the overall items just as I might not be able to shine spark :lol:

ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

by ITSMILNER » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:37 pm

The Purple EMMI :dread:

Balladeer
Joined in 2018

by Balladeer » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:39 pm

Jenuall wrote:The map flashes on areas where items are though doesn't it? Or are some things properly hidden?

There's at least one entire sub-area gated off behind non-flashing Otherwise Indistinguishable Destructible Blocks, the bane of many a Metroidvania.

shy guy 64
Joined in 2018

by shy guy 64 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:48 pm

Balladeer wrote::shifty: walkthrough

ssshhh dont let on :shifty:

kerr9000
Joined in 2013

by kerr9000 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:26 pm

Yeah I'm only keen on walkthroughs unless i'm proper proper stuck I'd kind of assumed people would be the same and not just guiding there way through it, It's different on extra play throughs and stuff but at least on my first go I want to have done it under my own steam if possible.

ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

by ITSMILNER » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:30 pm

I have used a walkthrough a couple of times but only to give me a nudge on where to go next after I have been stuck :lol: rather find out where to go next than spend too much time being lost that I end up not wanting to play any more

Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:36 pm

Jenuall wrote:The map flashes on areas where items are though doesn't it? Or are some things properly hidden?

It flashes to show if there's something hidden within a block (so hidden from view), otherwise if you can see it, the icon is added to the map. What it doesn't show is where hidden entrances to other areas are, you have to search those out for yourself (which is pretty easy really).

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
Met
Joined in 2015

by Met » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:38 pm

I managed to avoid using a walkthrough up to getting the storm missiles and space jump from upper Ferenia. I didn't realise that the plasma door leading to the Gravity Suit was behind a sliding wall and just kind of never went to check it, thinking it was blocked off for whatever reason.

Was kicking myself for it.

Balladeer
Joined in 2018

by Balladeer » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:51 pm

kerr9000 wrote:

Yeah I'm only keen on walkthroughs unless i'm proper proper stuck I'd kind of assumed people would be the same and not just guiding there way through it, It's different on extra play throughs and stuff but at least on my first go I want to have done it under my own steam if possible.

Not that it matters at all apart from to myself, but I played the entire run-through without walkthroughs until I got to the final boss. At that point I found as much of the 100% item completion as I could in each area without playing 'try the radar on every room in the map'. Which wouldn't have been fun. Then I took to the walkthroughs. Also for a couple of Shinespark puzzles: the bastards are hard enough when you know what you're doing!

If people enjoy their experiences using walkthroughs more liberally though, more power to them. My favourite Metroid game remains Prime and I walkthroughed the absolute crap out of that back in the day. Good ol' Double Game Guide +!

Last edited by Balladeer on Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Games”