(PCGT VI) It's not just about hardware

Anything to do with games at all.
OldSoulCyborg
Joined in 2010

PostRe: (PCGT VI) It's not just about hardware
by OldSoulCyborg » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:44 pm

Dowbocop wrote:I've got a mini Hori PS4 controller that I bought for about £20 for this purpose. It's a lovely pad but it's sometimes hard to get the compatibility fully sorted. Untitled Goose Game worked perfectly without DS4Windows even installed. Most games work fine with DS4W running (you might need to add the game on Steam). FIFA won't recognise it at all, which is unforgivable in my opinion! Xbox controllers are supposedly 100% compatible because Microsoft baked the drivers into W10 so if you're not too set on PlayStation controllers you might want to consider that option.

Does Steam not recognize it as a regular PS4 controller? You might have to turn it on in settings (Settings/Controller/General Controller Settings/Playstation Configuration Support). Maybe that'll work for FIFA if it's not playing nice with DS4W?

site23
Joined in 2021

by site23 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:40 pm

The Switch Pro Controller works really well on PC when set up with HidGuardian and BetterJoy. Admittedly that's a bit tricky to get working though and I think some kind of Xbox controller is going to give the best overall experience.

Zilnad
Joined in 2019

by Zilnad » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:48 pm

Just found an old 360 controller in a drawer. It's in good condition. Winner!

OldSoulCyborg
Joined in 2010

by OldSoulCyborg » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:58 pm

site23 wrote:The Switch Pro Controller works really well on PC when set up with HidGuardian and BetterJoy. Admittedly that's a bit tricky to get working though and I think some kind of Xbox controller is going to give the best overall experience.

It also just straight up works with any Steam game.

Bertie
Joined in 2011

by Bertie » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:39 pm

Zilnad wrote:Just found an old 360 controller in a drawer. It's in good condition. Winner!

Yeah. Nice. I used a DS4 but have upgraded to an elite, and it’s so much easier. Especially on gamepass.

Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Dowbocop » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:00 pm

OldSoulCyborg wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:I've got a mini Hori PS4 controller that I bought for about £20 for this purpose. It's a lovely pad but it's sometimes hard to get the compatibility fully sorted. Untitled Goose Game worked perfectly without DS4Windows even installed. Most games work fine with DS4W running (you might need to add the game on Steam). FIFA won't recognise it at all, which is unforgivable in my opinion! Xbox controllers are supposedly 100% compatible because Microsoft baked the drivers into W10 so if you're not too set on PlayStation controllers you might want to consider that option.

Does Steam not recognize it as a regular PS4 controller? You might have to turn it on in settings (Settings/Controller/General Controller Settings/Playstation Configuration Support). Maybe that'll work for FIFA if it's not playing nice with DS4W?

Steam does recognise it (played loads of games with no issues), but FIFA absolutely refuses to acknowledge it. I went to bed at midnight bleary eyed one night after actually playing strawberry float all and I decided I couldn't be arsed. There are config files in the directory for Saitek pads, Thrustmaster pads - all sorts of niche shite - but the game won't talk to arguably the biggest console brand, despite being released on that console :fp:

strawberry float em, I'll keep my fifty quid thanks!

OldSoulCyborg
Joined in 2010

by OldSoulCyborg » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:25 pm

Dowbocop wrote:Steam does recognise it (played loads of games with no issues), but FIFA absolutely refuses to acknowledge it. I went to bed at midnight bleary eyed one night after actually playing strawberry float all and I decided I couldn't be arsed. There are config files in the directory for Saitek pads, Thrustmaster pads - all sorts of niche shite - but the game won't talk to arguably the biggest console brand, despite being released on that console :fp:

Just making sure here because if you're using Steam Input (so not using DS4W) for the PS4 controller it should act as an Xbox controller... although, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what DS4W does as well so maybe it's just Fifa being gooseberry fool.

Actually, does Fifa launch through Origin even if you bought it on Steam? If that's the case, then that would explain it. A possible workaround to that (works with Epic Games Launcher) is to add Origin as a non-Steam game to your Steam library and launch it that way, then launch Fifa from Origin.

Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Dowbocop » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:32 pm

OldSoulCyborg wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:Steam does recognise it (played loads of games with no issues), but FIFA absolutely refuses to acknowledge it. I went to bed at midnight bleary eyed one night after actually playing strawberry float all and I decided I couldn't be arsed. There are config files in the directory for Saitek pads, Thrustmaster pads - all sorts of niche shite - but the game won't talk to arguably the biggest console brand, despite being released on that console :fp:

Just making sure here because if you're using Steam Input (so not using DS4W) for the PS4 controller it should act as an Xbox controller... although, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what DS4W does as well so maybe it's just Fifa being gooseberry fool.

Actually, does Fifa launch through Origin even if you bought it on Steam? If that's the case, then that would explain it. A possible workaround to that (works with Epic Games Launcher) is to add Origin as a non-Steam game to your Steam library and launch it that way, then launch Fifa from Origin.

OldSoulCyborg
Joined in 2010

by OldSoulCyborg » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:36 pm

Dowbocop wrote:Image

ok

Jenuall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall

by Jenuall » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:37 pm

Dowbocop wrote:
OldSoulCyborg wrote:

What FIFA are you playing? I was using my PS4 and PS5 pads to play on FIFA 21 PC just today with no problems (well, I had to use DS4W so it's not exactly 100% certified zero problems but by PC standards it was practically plug and play! :lol: )

Last edited by Jenuall on Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jenuall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall

by Jenuall » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:38 pm

Oh and I've had it working playing directly from the EA app as well as launching from Steam

Ironhide
Fiend
Joined in 2008

by Ironhide » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:42 am

Just nearly bought a Radeon 6600XT but decided against it as it was £470, which is still aan awful amount of cash for an entry level gpu.

Edit: and bought :fp:

Before anyone says "but its only a 1080p card", it'll do 1440p easily, just not at 120+fps, I only have a 1440p monitor and don't play anything that benefits from a framerate higher than 60fps.

andretmzt
Joined in 2008

by andretmzt » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:36 pm

I'd finished what I wanted to do this week at work so I thought I'd take the fan shroud off my 6800. It was actually really straight forward, with eight screws through the back plate into the heatsink, and a further eight attaching the shroud to the heatsink. Really well designed. The fan/LED headers are very tight though. I could see one of the headers slightly lifting from the board as I was trying to disconnect the cable.

I think someone would be able to 3D print a mount for a couple of Noctua 120mm fans. I've see a few solutions for other cards, and there's even a Noctua edition 3070 from ASUS now, but I've just left the heatsink bare, with the fans mounted to the case a centimetre below or so. We'll see what effect that has in heavy applications, but for now the change is fantastic. Rather than three shitty fans running at a minimum of 1300 RPM all the time there's just silence. I should have done it sooner.

HSH28 wrote:No Last Guardian.
No new exclusive PS4 games.
No longer free MP for PS4.

Microsoft win E3.
Bertie
Joined in 2011

by Bertie » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:20 pm

Good effort ironhide. Good upgrade? They had Nvidia FEs in stock again earlier but they seemed to go faster than ever.

I’ve seen those noctua 3070s. Very very impressive. Makes you wonder why they don’t put decent/best fans on the cards.

Ironhide
Fiend
Joined in 2008

by Ironhide » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:04 pm

Bertie wrote:Good effort ironhide. Good upgrade? They had Nvidia FEs in stock again earlier but they seemed to go faster than ever.

Currently have a (noisy af) 2060 so its a definite upgrade.

Ideally would have preferred the FE 3060ti but they sell out so quickly that there was almost no chamce of getting one.

andretmzt
Joined in 2008

by andretmzt » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:00 am

Bertie wrote:I’ve seen those noctua 3070s. Very very impressive. Makes you wonder why they don’t put decent/best fans on the cards.

I wonder if part a of it is the size of the cards now. It's a lot easier to fit some 120mm fans with a decent looking shroud with the latest bunch. The heatsink is a little wider and longer on my 6800 compared to my 1080Ti.

HSH28 wrote:No Last Guardian.
No new exclusive PS4 games.
No longer free MP for PS4.

Microsoft win E3.
Memento Mori
Joined in 2008
AKA: Emperor Mori

by Memento Mori » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:38 am

The Noctua 3070s are massive.

jiggles
Joined in 2008

by jiggles » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:20 pm

30 hours and that's me done with all the PowerWash content. Magnificent. Gonna be a nice wee treat to go back to it with each future content drop as it moves through Early Access.

Ironhide
Fiend
Joined in 2008

by Ironhide » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:35 pm

6600XT has arrived, in a massive box for some reason.

Bertie
Joined in 2011

by Bertie » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:39 pm

They love a big box. Exciting for the upgrade.

Return to “Games”