Nintendo Switch Chat Thread Six(ty Four)

Anything to do with games at all.
ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Nintendo Switch Chat Thread Six(ty Four)
by ITSMILNER » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:12 pm

Tomous wrote:
ITSMILNER wrote:Rumours are now that the Nintendo Partner Direct is 28th with a Mario & Rabbids 2 is getting a dedicated Direct/showcase on 29th

If that's true, must mean Mario & Rabbids 2 is releasing soon :datass:

Maybe an August release? With Strikers in June, XC3 in July and Splatoon 3 in Sept that would be a great run

I could see that, then Advance Wars in December to round out the year.

Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:20 pm

ITSMILNER wrote:
Tomous wrote:
ITSMILNER wrote:Rumours are now that the Nintendo Partner Direct is 28th with a Mario & Rabbids 2 is getting a dedicated Direct/showcase on 29th

Maybe an August release? With Strikers in June, XC3 in July and Splatoon 3 in Sept that would be a great run

And Bayo 3 in October maybe.

With Pokemon in Nov, and Kirby, Arceus and Switch Sports already out, that's a pretty strong 2022 showing for Nintendo but I'll be disappointed if they don't have something else from EAD lined up for later in the year.

ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

by ITSMILNER » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:35 pm

Tomous wrote:
ITSMILNER wrote:
Tomous wrote:

With Pokemon in Nov, and Kirby, Arceus and Switch Sports already out, that's a pretty strong 2022 showing for Nintendo but I'll be disappointed if they don't have something else from EAD lined up for later in the year.

If this turns out to just be a mini I think that’s pretty much it for the year. I still think whatever project EAD have will be timed to release around the Mario movie.

Herdanos
Go for it, Danmon!
Joined in 2008
AKA: lol don't ask

by Herdanos » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:43 pm

Monkey Man wrote: Red Dead 2

Yes please

Generating Real Conversations About Digital Entertainment
Tomous
Joined in 2010

by Tomous » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:45 pm

ITSMILNER wrote:
Tomous wrote:
ITSMILNER wrote:
Tomous wrote:

If this turns out to just be a mini I think that’s pretty much it for the year. I still think whatever project EAD have will be timed to release around the Mario movie.

I dunno, if they have a Mario game ready I'm not sure they'd pass on a release before for the Christmas period. March 2023 would put it closer to Zelda too...depending on how badly that has slipped into 2023 :slol:

shy guy 64
Joined in 2018

by shy guy 64 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:08 pm

i hope nintendo have a couple more surprise revivals like last year

Join me on Sam Radio, Tuesdays at 4pm and Wednesdays at 3pm https://samradio.org/listen-now/
ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

by ITSMILNER » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:13 pm

When they had their June 2021 Direct we had no idea what they had in store for the second half of 2021 did we? Whereas this time round we know everything, that’s kinda why I’m not expecting any more from Nintendo for this year.

Fisher
Joined in 2018

by Fisher » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:59 pm

shyguy64 did you buy items in animal crossing new horizons today.

shy guy 64
Joined in 2018

by shy guy 64 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:17 am

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you buy items in animal crossing new horizons today.

don't think so

Join me on Sam Radio, Tuesdays at 4pm and Wednesdays at 3pm https://samradio.org/listen-now/
Fisher
Joined in 2018

by Fisher » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:56 pm

shyguy64 did you sell bugs in animal crossing new horizons today.

shy guy 64
Joined in 2018

by shy guy 64 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:55 am

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell bugs in animal crossing new horizons today.

nope. funny you ask that the day after the bug off

Seven
Joined in 2008

by Seven » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:43 pm

I'm wondering if in mini direct they're going to announce third party games for NSO. Would be nice to have Resident Evil 2 on N64 for Switch.

...it's not gonna happen though

Bluesky: SevenFisher.bsky.social || Steam ID: SevenFisher
Barnsy!
Joined in 2019

by Barnsy! » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:42 pm

Herdanos wrote:
Barnsy! wrote:
Herdanos wrote:Bought Kaze and the Wild Masks & Monster Crown :toot:

I bloody love Kaze and the Wild Masks one of my favourite platformers. Really hope you have fun with it - it would be cool if you let us know what you think of it once you have a chance to play it :D

Here we go then...

Balladeer wrote:Basically, Kaze wants to be Donkey Kong Country really badly.

Balladeer isn't wrong. :lol: Kaze isn't so much inspired by DKC. If it is, then Mario Galaxy 2 was 'inspired' by Galaxy 1, TimeSplitters 3 by TimeSplitters 2, etc. It's more of the same, really; it's more like Donkey Kong Country Returns than Donkey Kong Country Returns ever was.

Thing is, I bloody love it for that. :datass:

DKC2 in particular is one of my favourite games ever, though Kaze is clearly an homage (a love letter, even) to the entire SNES trilogy. Kaze handles just like Dixie. As far as I can tell each of the enemies is a direct clone of a Kremling. The levels each echo particular environments I played back in the 90s (though there is no re-using of aesthetic across levels, which I really appreciated) with memorable features recreated. At times even the music contains flourishes that I'm sure I recognise!

So if I'm being honest, I'm not certain that this game would resonate with anyone who hasn't got strong, fond memories of playing Rare's 2D platformers. Even the controls (Kaze's Dixie-esque ability to float in particular) aren't that well-explained to newbies. But it just didn't matter. It was just so pleasingly familiar. It's like revisiting one of your favourite games and discovering there's a whole game's worth of extra content left to tackle that you'd never previously found.

That's not to say it has no new ideas of its own, but they're mostly QOL improvements to enhance what is already a fantastic experience. There are no "lives" - if you die, the game throws you straight back in with minimal interruption (you go back to the level start or last checkpoint). Likewise with the bonus levels - if you fail, the game lets you reattempt until you succeed, rather than forcing you to play the whole level through again and find the bonus level in order to try it. It's a great feature, particularly as some of them are really, really tough. But it doesn't seem unfair (so far) - I'm about 20% through the game after about an hour's play - and each time I've died it's provoked a wry smile rather than a knuckle-clenching fury at any perceived injustice. However, maybe that's because I have this peculiar sense that I've been here before.

If I had to pick faults, the enemies lack charm (as does Kaze herself arguably - particular during cut-scenes) and there is definitely some slowdown at times, which is a bit ludicrous giving how little a workout the Switch seems to be getting technically. So I'm not that surprised to hear Balla report of crashes later in the game. But so far neither of these have been deal breakers.

I hope I've only scratched the surface because I've adored what I've played so far.

Drumstick wrote:Balla's done a grand job of selling that game to me.

Mate, you have to get it. It's Donkey Kong Country 4.

Boom! Been on holiday for a little while - that was definitely a post to put me in a good mood.

Really happy you're loving the game and I think your more 'critical' observations are very fair. It is lovely though isn't it? Nice one :D

Fisher
Joined in 2018

by Fisher » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:58 pm

shyguy64 did you sell fish in animal crossing new horizons today.

jawa_
Joined in 2021

by jawa_ » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:51 am

I can't quite get my head around the rumours that the Metroid Prime series is finally coming to Switch... with just the first one being a remake and the other two being mild updates.

And that they're each gonna be released separately.

I was pretty excited for a few years about these coming to Switch but now I'm un-excited :| .

Tomous
Joined in 2010

by Tomous » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:55 am

No issue with them being released separately if they're full remakes.

If they're remasters, it will depend on the level of work and upgrade and price they're released at. If 2 and 3 are just Galaxy esque HD versions, full price releases would be lame.

shy guy 64
Joined in 2018

by shy guy 64 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:24 am

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell fish in animal crossing new horizons today.

naw

jawa_
Joined in 2021

by jawa_ » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:45 pm

Quick update for folks keen on Portal Companion Collection:

> £13.49
> The two games are bundled but appear as separate icons on the Switch menu
> Portal circa 2.9Gb; Portal 2 circa 7.1Gb
> I've played the opening eight tests of Portal and... it's great! I'm playing in handheld mode and smoothness and controls seem fine.

I've not played these for around eight or nine years and it's fantastic to return - anytime and anywhere!

Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Drumstick » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:45 pm

jawa_ wrote:Quick update for folks keen on Portal Companion Collection:

> £13.49
> The two games are bundled but appear as separate icons on the Switch menu
> Portal circa 2.9Gb; Portal 2 circa 7.1Gb
> I've played the opening eight tests of Portal and... it's great! I'm playing in handheld mode and smoothness and controls seem fine.

I've not played these for around eight or nine years and it's fantastic to return - anytime and anywhere!

What's the performance like? Any options to tweak settings etc?

Check out my YouTube channel!
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image Image
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Drumstick » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:48 pm

Stolen from Reddit:

It's out already for those unaware!

Edit: 7.3gb for portal 2, 2.6gb for portal. Both download separately.

Edit 2: 60fps for both titles, both look native 720p in handheld. Very surprising. 1080p docked for both, it also seems like.

Edit 3: portal contains all the 'still alive' content, bonus maps and developer commentary, also has achievements. Portal 2 doesn't have the custom maps feature of the steam version but that's to be expected, all coop content included and some bonus videos.

Edit 4: both have gyro controls.

Edit 5: Portal 2 coop can be split screen.

At £13.49 this package is the steal of the century, if you have even a passing interest don't pass this up.

Check out my YouTube channel!
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image Image

Return to “Games”