Joined in 2008

PostRe: The 'also-ran' consoles
by DML » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:02 pm

I had a Saturn.

Rex Kramer
Joined in 2008

by Rex Kramer » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:16 pm

more heat than light wrote:I had an Atari Lynx. It was great.

Me too and it was great as long as you were near a plug socket.

Sagittarius
Joined in 2022

by Sagittarius » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:07 pm

I had a 3DO (Super Street Fighter 2, as good as it was, was hampered by the original controller), an Amiga CD32 (which basically amounted to Zool with backgrounds), and a Wonderswan (I was feeling extra zeitgeisty when I whipped it out at a party once).

Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

by Preezy » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:53 pm

DML wrote:I had a Saturn.

Wow someone's parents didn't love them :dread:

Image Image
Jordan UK
Joined in 2008

by Jordan UK » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:33 am

Nothing particularly unusual for me. The most 'left field' choice that I've made was the Dreamcast. Regret selling it to fund a PS2.

Mommy
Multiball!
Joined in 2009

by Mommy » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:40 am

Sagittarius wrote:I had a 3DO (Super Street Fighter 2, as good as it was, was hampered by the original controller), an Amiga CD32 (which basically amounted to Zool with backgrounds), and a Wonderswan (I was feeling extra zeitgeisty when I whipped it out at a party once).

I'd love a re-vamped 3DO. The single speed CD drive let it down, but as you said SSF2 was as good as on anything else.

:dread:
Ironhide
Joined in 2008

by Ironhide » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:48 pm

Preezy wrote:

The Saturn was criminally overlooked.

Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

by Preezy » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:11 pm

Ironhide wrote:
Preezy wrote:

Yeah I'm only messing, I would love to have experienced a Saturn when it launched. I've said this a few times in other retro threads, but the Saturn to me always had this real mystery about it, as I didn't know anyone (and didn't know anyone who knew anyone) that had owned, played or even seen a Saturn out in the wild :lol: Combine that with it coming out pre-internet and me not really having regular access to gaming magazines, I got most of my info from the playground.

I love the design of the console as well, such a good looking piece of kit :datass:

Image Image
Ironhide
Joined in 2008

by Ironhide » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:03 pm

Preezy wrote:
Ironhide wrote:
Preezy wrote:

Yeah I'm only messing, I would love to have experienced a Saturn when it launched. I've said this a few times in other retro threads, but the Saturn to me always had this real mystery about it, as I didn't know anyone (and didn't know anyone who knew anyone) that had owned, played or even seen a Saturn out in the wild :lol: Combine that with it coming out pre-internet and me not really having regular access to gaming magazines, I got most of my info from the playground.

I love the design of the console as well, such a good looking piece of kit :datass:

I first played on a Saturn at a friends house and utterly thrashed them at Virtua Fighter (having played the arcade version almost every day while on holiday in Spain), then to add insult to injury got a hole in one on my first go at some golf game they had (pebble beach golf I think).

I got one myself a few months later and thought it was amazing compared with my Megadrive.

Superfurryfox64
Joined in 2017

by Superfurryfox64 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:58 pm

I had a Jag

Ironhide
Joined in 2008

by Ironhide » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:29 pm

I once had an opportunity to buy a brand new Atari Jaguar at a ridiculously cheap price a couple of years after it was discontinued, I instead opted for a few PS1 games I wanted as I didn't have enough cash to buy both.

Hound
Joined in 2008

by Hound » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:34 pm

When I went on a retro kick a few years ago i bought a Saturn (my first time playing one too ) and it’s just wonderful

Cumberdanes
Joined in 2011

by Cumberdanes » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:09 am

The most obscure system I’ve had the chance to play is the Nuon. I had a quick go on Tempest 3000 at a convention a few years back.

For those that don’t know Nuon was another attempt at something similar to the 3DO, a set of universal hardware that any company could have a license to use and make their own system. It was integrated into DVD players and had only 8 officially released games.

Closest I got to backing the wrong horse was probably buying a Wii U.

Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008

by Poser » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:32 am

My mum didn't like games consoles, and didn't cave in until we got a PlayStation in 1997.

Prior to that we had a retro Pong Machine in the early 80s, then a Dragon 32, then, finally, an Amiga for Christmas 93. I was absolutely desperate for something vaguely modern by that point.

KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:39 am

Surely someone will admit to owning a Nokia N-Gage.

Carlos
Joined in 2008
AKA: SanCarlos

by Carlos » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:40 am

The last decade proved great for also-rans.

I’m not afraid to admit I brought an Ouya with the view to hacking it to play emulators. I think I brought Final Fantasy 3 for it but it didn’t last long. I loved the idea of a dinky console I could play Android titles on but it really needed the Play Store.

I brought the PlayJam Gamestick which if you’ve never heard of it was an HDMI chromecast sort of device that lived in the controller. You could take it to someone else’s house or a hotel and just plug and play. The fact the controller was so chunky put me off that one.

Back when they were making a push with it with Activision games like Skylanders and Guitar Hero Live I tried using an Apple TV as my main console for a bit. I love the idea of using a phone as a controller so if you have guests you don’t need extra hardware. This actually worked because it just let me re-download my thousands of iOS titles and the other big releases were quite fun. The price of extra controllers put me off though as back then my kids were too young to have phones back then. In terms of the micro console idea I think this is the best there ever was.

I did get all the gubbins for Stadia which is actually really good but then Gamepass streaming came along and made it all a bit pointless really.

Back in maybe 2005 I also finally managed to get a Pocketstation on import for a replay of FFVIII I was doing at the time. That was a lovely bit of hardware and much better than the VMU. It’s a shame Sony didn’t make more of the little fella because I loved the idea of having a small part of a larger game you could take with you and play on the bus only to feed it back in when you get home. I must admit I did love the VMU as well (I have an old one I modded into a key ring on my house keys) but the battery life wasn’t brilliant.

Carlos
Joined in 2008
AKA: SanCarlos

by Carlos » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:53 am

KK wrote:Surely someone will admit to owning a Nokia N-Gage.

I also had the N-Gage QD and for what it was it was actually quite brilliant. It fixed the originals’ design flaws and during its last year had some great original titles like Ashen, an FPS that worked quite well due to a lack of y-axis enemies, Glimmeratii, a racing title with elite billionaires and Pocket Kingdom which was the first mobile MMO.

It played its own ROMs as well so if you had a big enough memory card you could pop a couple of games on there together with a few hours MP3’s as well.

Its biggest flaw was a complete lack of a camera though and the fact the PSP had just come out. I think I even posted a thread on here about how the N-Gage was as good as the PSP and DS :fp: :slol:

I have spent a lot of money on weird gaming hardware over the years! If I ever see one for less than a hundred notes in CEX I’d totally buy a Play date as well.

jawa_
Joined in 2021

by jawa_ » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:00 am

From the earlier days of gaming, I'd say the Commodore 16 and Commodore plus/4 computers. They were 8-bit systems release in 1984 with the 16 being a replacement for the VIC-20 and the plus/4 being a business-focussed machine.

They just didn't take off; Commodore already had the hugely popular C64 on the market and these newer systems just weren't as attractive. They were quite nice machines, having an upgraded version of Commodore's BASIC coding language and a built-in machine code monitor. The plus/4 was basically a C16 with more memory and some mediocre business software. They lagged behind the tech of the older C64 in most areas and they were only really around for a couple of years.

I enjoyed using them, though, and they did have some really fun games, such as Kikstart (different to the C64 version), X-Zap, Podrunner and Bandits at Zero.

In more recent times, I'd go for the Sega 32X (a huge mess to setup but I just like the look and feel of it; it's potential was never really used) and the Wii U (to me it felt fresh and different; in some ways the tech held it back but the GamePad was such a fun addition).

Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

by Preezy » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:53 am

Just remembered that I also got a PSP which would probably be considered a bit of an also-ran. If only they'd given it a second analogue stick :fp:

Image Image
OrangeRKN
Community Sec.
Joined in 2015

by OrangeRKN » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:52 am

I wouldn't consider the PSP an also-ran - it's the fourth best selling handheld of all time! It just about outsold the GBA.

It took Playstation from a 0% handheld market share to about 30%, where Nintendo previously had near enough 100%.

Obviously did well enough for Sony to make a successor. Unfortunately the Vita did not do anywhere near as well!

orkn.uk - @OrangeRakoon - Top 5 Games of 2021 - SW-6533-2461-3235

Return to “Games”