Currently Playing chat thread

Anything to do with games at all.
Barnsy!
Joined in 2019

PostRe: Currently Playing chat thread
by Barnsy! » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:46 am

Parksey wrote:Up to the third area in Origami King and I still cannot understand the stock the game received. It is an absolutely joyous game, full of vibrancy and character. Each area has so far been varied and engaging (and reminiscent of how TTYD switched things up from area to area). .

I loved Origami King, I know like all newer paper Mario's it's divisive, so it's good to hear it's clicked with you. Hope you continue to enjoy :toot:

deathofcows wrote:New Super Lucky's Tale (Switch)

But bought it in the sale and am very glad I did. Legit some of the most gaming fun I've had in an age. The flow and feel of the dive-burrowing is worth the price of entry alone for me (and is also why I downloaded the demo more than once!)

But the general production and visual aesthetic and music is great too. And the redneck worms are more funny than they should be.
!

Oh yeah! Now you're talking. I loved Lucky's Tale, great game. So much fun! Glad you're enjoying it :toot:

Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

by Drumstick » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:52 am

Parksey wrote:Up to the third area in Origami King and I still cannot understand the stock the game received. It is an absolutely joyous game, full of vibrancy and character. Each area has so far been varied and engaging (and reminiscent of how TTYD switched things up from area to area). .

I haven't played it but IIRC the criticism you mention was largely focused on the battle system fwiw.

Check out my YouTube channel!
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image Image
Octoroc
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Octoroc » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:24 am

SF6 was 40% off on the Xbox store so I got that last night.

It is quite complicated compared to SF2.

So far this year, I have eaten NO mince pies.
deathofcows
Joined in 2009

by deathofcows » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:35 am

OldSoulCyborg wrote:
deathofcows wrote:Finally started the Outer Wilds DLC. Already had at least two mouth-agapes moments.

I know exactly what you're talking about.

The sequence of discoveries and vistas that the DLC starts with (after you figure out exactly where and how to start it) is an absolute masterclass in, like, I don't even know exactly what. General game design, I guess. I won't spoil anything, but there are things happening in those first moments that are brilliantly setting stuff up, revealing important information, and even concealing things from the player.

Yeah! Whatever you call it, I struggle to think who does it better. Also it's already properly eerie in a way I only ever remember feeling from later on in the base game.

Whatever I half presumed the DLC would be like, it's not this in a very good way

deathofcows
Joined in 2009

by deathofcows » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:39 am

Barnsy! wrote:

I loved Origami King, I know like all newer paper Mario's it's divisive, so it's good to hear it's clicked with you. Hope you continue to enjoy :toot:

deathofcows wrote:New Super Lucky's Tale (Switch)

But bought it in the sale and am very glad I did. Legit some of the most gaming fun I've had in an age. The flow and feel of the dive-burrowing is worth the price of entry alone for me (and is also why I downloaded the demo more than once!)

But the general production and visual aesthetic and music is great too. And the redneck worms are more funny than they should be.
!

Oh yeah! Now you're talking. I loved Lucky's Tale, great game. So much fun! Glad you're enjoying it :toot:

It's great!

PSA in case anyone needs: Lucky's Tale (VR game) is different to Super Lucky's Tale (3D platform adventure with fixed camera) is different to New Super Lucky's Tale (massively refined and revised version of SLT with fully moveable camera and graphics changes and music changes and level changes and most importantly Lucky running on two feet)

OrangeRKN
Community Sec.
Joined in 2015

by OrangeRKN » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:56 am

deathofcows wrote:Finally started the Outer Wilds DLC. Already had at least two mouth-agapes moments.

I can guess what these two spectacles probably are, but I cannot wait for you to get through the DLC and hear your reaction to the rest of it!

orkn.uk - Top 5 Games of 2023 - SW-6533-2461-3235
Rex Kramer
Joined in 2008

by Rex Kramer » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:41 pm

The Last Campfire - picked it up for a couple of quid in the black Friday sale. What a lovely little game. I guess it's around 4-5 hours tops and I've just entered the third area.

deathofcows
Joined in 2009

by deathofcows » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:00 am

OrangeRKN wrote:

I can guess what these two spectacles probably are, but I cannot wait for you to get through the DLC and hear your reaction to the rest of it!

Well I thought it was great!

So much so that I've ploughed on and finished it instead of being in bed for early work. Probably worth it? There was definitely more mouth agape-ing even after the opening - wowsers!

kazanova_Frankenstein
Joined in 2008

by kazanova_Frankenstein » Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:49 am

Deliver us Mars.

Really enjoying this - a good story and enough decent puzzle and platforming mechanics to keep things interesting and more than a "walking simulator". Looks great on Steam Deck at 40fps (on a 120 fps tv screen) if you play with the settings a bit. Fan whirrs a bit mind.

OrangeRKN
Community Sec.
Joined in 2015

by OrangeRKN » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:49 pm

deathofcows wrote:Well I thought [Outer Wilds DLC] was great!

So much so that I've ploughed on and finished it instead of being in bed for early work. Probably worth it? There was definitely more mouth agape-ing even after the opening - wowsers!

If you haven't yet you should finish the main game again, the ending is slightly different after completing the DLC!

And then go read back all the thoughts in the thread now you don't need to worry about spoilers 8-)

orkn.uk - Top 5 Games of 2023 - SW-6533-2461-3235
Squinty
Joined in 2009

by Squinty » Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:55 pm

Rex Kramer wrote:The Last Campfire - picked it up for a couple of quid in the black Friday sale. What a lovely little game. I guess it's around 4-5 hours tops and I've just entered the third area.

Good game! It's a shame the switch port is a mess.

Rex Kramer
Joined in 2008

by Rex Kramer » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:11 pm

Squinty wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:The Last Campfire - picked it up for a couple of quid in the black Friday sale. What a lovely little game. I guess it's around 4-5 hours tops and I've just entered the third area.

Good game! It's a shame the switch port is a mess.

That's a shame because it feels like a game that would be perfect on the Switch (I'm playing on XBox).

Vermilion
Gnome Thief
Joined in 2018

by Vermilion » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:04 pm

Finished Mafia 2 today, the edition i have though contains some DLC so i will play through that before moving on to Mafia 3.

Zilnad
Joined in 2019

by Zilnad » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:06 pm

Vermilion wrote:Finished Mafia 2 today, the edition i have though contains some DLC so i will play through that before moving on to Mafia 3.

Let me know how it compares to the main game. I've never actually played the DLC :oops:

Zilnad
Joined in 2019

by Zilnad » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:08 pm

Also I'm sure the original release of Mafia 2 ended with "Ain't That a Kick in the Head" playing which was infinitely better than the credits song used in the Definitive release. Clearly a licence they no longer wanted to pay for.

deathofcows
Joined in 2009

by deathofcows » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:12 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:
deathofcows wrote:Well I thought [Outer Wilds DLC] was great!

If you haven't yet you should finish the main game again, the ending is slightly different after completing the DLC!

And then go read back all the thoughts in the thread now you don't need to worry about spoilers 8-)

Maybe I will!

And Maybe I also re-read your lovely summary in your top 2022 games thing! ('a universal loss!' :toot: )

(And Definitely it would be in my top 2023 games thing!)

kazanova_Frankenstein
Joined in 2008

by kazanova_Frankenstein » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:31 am

The Sexy Brutale.

Had to restart it 4 times as it kept crashing on my Steam Deck, but I seem to have found a stable version of Proton now.

An hour and a half in and I’m enjoying it. I hope the time management aspect does not get too much for me because I am loving the style and the music.

OldSoulCyborg
Joined in 2010

by OldSoulCyborg » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:18 pm

The Talos Principle
Hit the first puzzle (aside from stars) I wasn't sure I could solve. Bastard strawberry floatin' time shenanigan puzzle. Hate that kind of stuff, but I got there in the end just fine. It just took a while.
Hate to think how long I might have been stuck if I hadn't thought to speed things up at the end by just removing the fan holding aloft a hexahedron+connector (though since a recording was active that didn't work out as I thought), since without it I wouldn't have realized that the fan being removable was a crucial part of the puzzle.

Zilnad
Joined in 2019

by Zilnad » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:00 pm

OldSoulCyborg wrote:The Talos Principle
Hit the first puzzle (aside from stars) I wasn't sure I could solve. Bastard strawberry floatin' time shenanigan puzzle. Hate that kind of stuff, but I got there in the end just fine. It just took a while.
Hate to think how long I might have been stuck if I hadn't thought to speed things up at the end by just removing the fan holding aloft a hexahedron+connector (though since a recording was active that didn't work out as I thought), since without it I wouldn't have realized that the fan being removable was a crucial part of the puzzle.

This was the only puzzle I had to look up the answer for. And I had the same problem. Just completely forgot I could move the fan for that one puzzle. My brain had just accepted that the fan was in place and couldn't be moved :fp: :fp: :fp:

Godzilla
Joined in 2008

by Godzilla » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:26 pm

About 2 hours into Alan Wake 2 - not sure how I feel about it so far. Great atmosphere but I would like some gameplay which was more than wander around and click on stuff.

Wish my image sig would work

Return to “Games”