Xbox Video podcast. 4 unknown games coming to other platforms. No fundamental change to our approach on exclusivity.

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Rumour: Xbox developing new multi-platform strategy. Phil: "business update event for next week."
by Photek » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:07 pm

twitter.com/vgc_news/status/1756280398089175393



Also, I just got that Purple controller. :wub:

Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rumour: Xbox developing new multi-platform strategy. Phil: "business update event for next week."
by Peter Crisp » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:06 pm

It would seem like an insane decision to spend $60B on a games company and then get out of the hardware business.

I expect the hype for next gen to start some time next year and Microsoft to be shouting about how amazing it'll be.

Vermilion wrote:I'd rather live in Luton.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Rumour: Xbox developing new multi-platform strategy. Phil: "business update event for next week."
by Moggy » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:16 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:It would seem like an insane decision to spend $60B on a games company and then get out of the hardware business.

I expect the hype for next gen to start some time next year and Microsoft to be shouting about how amazing it'll be.


As long as they are not shouting about TV.

User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Rumour: Xbox developing new multi-platform strategy. Phil: "business update event for next week."
by ITSMILNER » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:29 pm

Any word yet when this ‘business event’ is taking place or what the format will be?

Image
User avatar
jawa_
Member
Joined in 2021

PostRe: Rumour: Xbox developing new multi-platform strategy. Phil: "business update event for next week."
by jawa_ » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:46 pm

ITSMILNER wrote:Any word yet when this ‘business event’ is taking place or what the format will be?

Nothing yet, Milner, beyond "next week".

I'm not anticipating a huge "event"... and that "business update" part makes it sound like it could be fairly dull. Maybe just a short video and press release, I expect.

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rumour: Xbox developing new multi-platform strategy. Phil: "business update event for next week."
by Peter Crisp » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:14 pm

Moggy wrote:
Peter Crisp wrote:It would seem like an insane decision to spend $60B on a games company and then get out of the hardware business.

I expect the hype for next gen to start some time next year and Microsoft to be shouting about how amazing it'll be.


As long as they are not shouting about TV.


They need to bring back a focus on TV with Halo series 2 and make a new version of Kinnect pronto.

That'll surely save the xbox brand :toot: :toot: .

Kinnect and holllolense together at last :wub: .

Vermilion wrote:I'd rather live in Luton.
User avatar
Captain Kinopio
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Memento Mori
Location: The Observatory

PostRe: Rumour: Xbox developing new multi-platform strategy. Phil: "business update event for next week."
by Captain Kinopio » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:22 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:It would seem like an insane decision to spend $60B on a games company and then get out of the hardware business.

I expect the hype for next gen to start some time next year and Microsoft to be shouting about how amazing it'll be.


We haven't even had mid gen upgrades yet. Not a chance anyone is looking to next get for another 3 years.

Time for adventure
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rumour: Xbox developing new multi-platform strategy. Phil: "business update event for next week."
by Peter Crisp » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:25 pm

Captain Kinopio wrote:We haven't even had mid gen upgrades yet. Not a chance anyone is looking to next get for another 3 years.


I'd be fine with that as it would be nice to see what the machines we have now can really do when pushed to the limit.
Can they have a transformation like the XB360?
If they get really good at optimising UE5 on the PS5 and XSX we may also see which machine is better at what aspects of it.

Vermilion wrote:I'd rather live in Luton.
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Rumour: Xbox developing new multi-platform strategy. Phil: "business update event for next week."
by Photek » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:08 am

Captain Kinopio wrote:
Peter Crisp wrote:It would seem like an insane decision to spend $60B on a games company and then get out of the hardware business.

I expect the hype for next gen to start some time next year and Microsoft to be shouting about how amazing it'll be.


We haven't even had mid gen upgrades yet. Not a chance anyone is looking to next get for another 3 years.

Xbox want to get away from simultaneous console launches with Sony. You're way off with this take.

Image
User avatar
jawa_
Member
Joined in 2021

PostRe: Rumour: Xbox developing new multi-platform strategy. Phil: "business update event for next week."
by jawa_ » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:31 am

Photek wrote:Xbox want to get away from simultaneous console launches with Sony...

That's an interesting thought. I could see why neither company really wants a simultaneous console release... but then you gotta decide upon going early or later and there are risks around that; specifically that you might miss the boat, or folk don't buy and wait for the alternative. It's a tough call!

User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Rumour: Xbox developing new multi-platform strategy. Phil: "business update event for next week."
by Photek » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:57 am

jawa_ wrote:
Photek wrote:Xbox want to get away from simultaneous console launches with Sony...

That's an interesting thought. I could see why neither company really wants a simultaneous console release... but then you gotta decide upon going early or later and there are risks around that; specifically that you might miss the boat, or folk don't buy and wait for the alternative. It's a tough call!

Next gen Xbox in 2026 would be more powerful (presumably) than a PS5 Pro and potentially at least 2 years away from a PS6 release. I think it would sell reasonably well.

Image
User avatar
jawa_
Member
Joined in 2021

PostRe: Rumour: Xbox developing new multi-platform strategy. Phil: "business update event for next week."
by jawa_ » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:57 am

Looking at X/Twitter - where everyone knows the truth prevails - the general consensus seems to be that Starfield isn't coming to PlayStation.

I pretty much guessed that but, just for a moment or two, I had let myself believe that it might. And so now I'm disappointed about it :-(.

User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Rumour: Xbox developing new multi-platform strategy. Phil: "business update event for next week."
by Victor Mildew » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:38 am

jawa_ wrote:Looking at X/Twitter - where everyone knows the truth prevails - the general consensus seems to be that Starfield isn't coming to PlayStation.

I pretty much guessed that but, just for a moment or two, I had let myself believe that it might. And so now I'm disappointed about it :-(.


You're not missing much

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
more heat than light
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: mhtl
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: Rumour: Xbox developing new multi-platform strategy. Phil: "business update event for next week."
by more heat than light » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:40 am

Victor Mildew wrote:
jawa_ wrote:Looking at X/Twitter - where everyone knows the truth prevails - the general consensus seems to be that Starfield isn't coming to PlayStation.

I pretty much guessed that but, just for a moment or two, I had let myself believe that it might. And so now I'm disappointed about it :-(.


You're not missing much


Jawa loves terrible games, Starfield would be right up his street.

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:MHTL is an OG ledge
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Rumour: Xbox developing new multi-platform strategy. Phil: "business update event for next week."
by Photek » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:00 am

Starfield is awesome...definitely better than Fallout 76 anyway.

Image
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Rumour: Xbox developing new multi-platform strategy. Phil: "business update event for next week."
by Victor Mildew » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:06 am

Starfield isn't terrible, it's just incredibly mediocre. Give it 5 years and hopefully it'll have had enough updates to make it the game everybody wanted it to be.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Parksey
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rumour: Xbox developing new multi-platform strategy. Phil: "business update event for next week."
by Parksey » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:36 am

Photek wrote:Starfield is awesome...definitely better than Fallout 76 anyway.


Dunno when you last played F76 but it's pretty decent on the current gen consoles now (though your mileage may vary depending on how much you like Fallout 4).

Starfield is a weird game in that I played it for 30 hours and thought it was alright - albeit hobbled by design decisions and basically the same gameplay tropes as every other Bethesda game since 2006 - but then I promptly stopped playing the game when I went on holiday abroad. I came back, and not once have I felt the urge to revisit it, and I sort of have forgotten it ever existed.

No--one's going to buy an Xbox for Starfield (and to an event grater extent, Sea of Thieves, which has been out for years now). It would make business sense to put them on Playstation - though they should probably wait a year or two for Starfield. SOT would probably make much more money back from increasing the playerbase and getting them to purchase seasons, than it would being an Xbox exclusive.

User avatar
jawa_
Member
Joined in 2021

PostRe: Rumour: Xbox developing new multi-platform strategy. Phil: "business update event for next week."
by jawa_ » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:11 pm

I wonder when the business update will hit... there has been so much rumour and speculation that it feels like - whatever the way forward is - it'd be better to get it out there quickly. I guess that, due to the high levels of focus on this, it's gonna be crucial to get the presentation/wording right, though.

It feels like it could be a tough balance to get right. Loads of games on other platforms? Some Xbox fans will be disappointed. One or two games on other systems? Possibly a bit of a damp squib.

User avatar
Wedgie
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rumour: Xbox developing new multi-platform strategy. Phil: "business update event for next week."
by Wedgie » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:54 pm

Photek wrote:
jawa_ wrote:
Photek wrote:Xbox want to get away from simultaneous console launches with Sony...

That's an interesting thought. I could see why neither company really wants a simultaneous console release... but then you gotta decide upon going early or later and there are risks around that; specifically that you might miss the boat, or folk don't buy and wait for the alternative. It's a tough call!

Next gen Xbox in 2026 would be more powerful (presumably) than a PS5 Pro and potentially at least 2 years away from a PS6 release. I think it would sell reasonably well.


It's all well to have a powerful console but it's all about the games really. Show me the games.

As long MS can bring out excellent exclusives then I will be tempted.

Image

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.


Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!
User avatar
Wedgie
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rumour: Xbox developing new multi-platform strategy. Phil: "business update event for next week."
by Wedgie » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:58 pm

jawa_ wrote:I wonder when the business update will hit... there has been so much rumour and speculation that it feels like - whatever the way forward is - it'd be better to get it out there quickly. I guess that, due to the high levels of focus on this, it's gonna be crucial to get the presentation/wording right, though.

It feels like it could be a tough balance to get right. Loads of games on other platforms? Some Xbox fans will be disappointed. One or two games on other systems? Possibly a bit of a damp squib.


And you'll get disappointed people from one side, no matter what they do.

MS have NOT confirmed anything yet. I get the feeling people are looking into it too much. A week ago people saying they are going multiplatform and drop out of console making. But there's a unconfirmed report from Spencer saying MS isn't going to pull out of the console making side.

I think the news isn't going to be what everyone wants. I would find it hard to believe that their console "exclusives will be multiplatform on day one.

Image

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.


Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addsy087, Bertie, Dowbocop, Monkey Man, Yoshimi and 443 guests