Animal Well | NSW, PS5, PC, SD | "This is really something special", whispers Winckle

Anything to do with games at all.
BOR
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Animal Well | NSW, PS5, PC, SD | "This is really something special", whispers Winckle
by BOR » Mon May 13, 2024 10:27 am

What it is like to play? I'm not sure if this game is for me??

It looks neat, but what do you actually have to do?

"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Animal Well | NSW, PS5, PC, SD | 9 May
by Victor Mildew » Mon May 13, 2024 10:30 am

deathofcows wrote:He compared it to Outer Wilds, Fez and The Witness on Twitter. Sniper shot into my Give A Sh*ts

:datass:

Will get this on the switch.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
deathofcows
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Animal Well | NSW, PS5, PC, SD | "This is really something special", whispers Winckle
by deathofcows » Mon May 13, 2024 2:10 pm

Credits rolled (I got a bit engrossed last night!).

Good fun if quite breezy and straightforward? (maybe I've played too many games)

But I understand there's much still to see. Now for all The Secrets I've heard about :D

Last edited by deathofcows on Mon May 13, 2024 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deathofcows
Joined in 2009

by deathofcows » Mon May 13, 2024 2:12 pm

OldSoulCyborg wrote:Usually I'm a fan of dogs, but all of the ones in this game can strawberry float off.

Transfering the mock disc over to the M. disc shrine was more than a little tense. strawberry float that ghost dog. (spoiler for a thing you need to do to finish the dog area)
The shadow dogs in the 5th area are also bastards. (late-game (I think) spoilers)

Also strawberry float the ostrich.
The kangaroo, too.

Collected 40+ eggs so far, and have 8 items across 3 rows. :lol: Not sure what I'm missing from the top row. I'm assuming the first two rows of items are the main ones, the ones you're "supposed" to get no matter how much extra stuff you finish, so missing one of those would mean (if my assumption is correct) that I've accidentally sequence broken the game in some way.

Impressed you got that many eggs without two rows of items?! I have all 8 of the top two rows (have yet to even see this third row) and pretty sure you will too by seeing credits and picking up your 32-egg prize?

OldSoulCyborg
Joined in 2010

by OldSoulCyborg » Mon May 13, 2024 2:49 pm

deathofcows wrote:
OldSoulCyborg wrote:Usually I'm a fan of dogs, but all of the ones in this game can strawberry float off.

Transfering the mock disc over to the M. disc shrine was more than a little tense. strawberry float that ghost dog. (spoiler for a thing you need to do to finish the dog area)
The shadow dogs in the 5th area are also bastards. (late-game (I think) spoilers)

Also strawberry float the ostrich.
The kangaroo, too.

Collected 40+ eggs so far, and have 8 items across 3 rows. :lol: Not sure what I'm missing from the top row. I'm assuming the first two rows of items are the main ones, the ones you're "supposed" to get no matter how much extra stuff you finish, so missing one of those would mean (if my assumption is correct) that I've accidentally sequence broken the game in some way.

Impressed you got that many eggs without two rows of items?! I have all 8 of the top two rows (have yet to even see this third row) and pretty sure you will too by seeing credits and picking up your 32-egg prize?

I had the 32 egg prize at that time. Only got the 8th item (and 10th) yesterday (got the last of the first 8 items with maybe 50-ish eggs?).
I spent a loooong while exploring and finding eggs in the first 4 areas before finishing the 5th area.

Cheeky Devlin
Joined in 2008

by Cheeky Devlin » Mon May 13, 2024 7:28 pm

BOR wrote:What it is like to play? I'm not sure if this game is for me??

It looks neat, but what do you actually have to do?

It's a Metroid-Vania with a focus on puzzles and platforming over any real combat. So you collect items to open up new places to explore, to get more items to get new areas.
This one is very reminiscent of the old single-screen platform puzzlers you used to see on the 8bit micros. Especially Jet Set Willy.

I'm not too far in but it's utterly delightful. So many great ideas and "aha!" moments. :D :wub:

Zilnad
Joined in 2019

by Zilnad » Mon May 13, 2024 8:09 pm

God, it sounds like I need this game. :shifty:

Zilnad
Joined in 2019

by Zilnad » Tue May 14, 2024 7:04 am

Just finished Blasphemous 2 and I get paid tomorrow so I've just bought this. It sounds too special to not get right on it.

jawa_
Joined in 2021

by jawa_ » Tue May 14, 2024 7:56 am

Cheeky Devlin wrote:...This one is very reminiscent of the old single-screen platform puzzlers you used to see on the 8bit micros. Especially Jet Set Willy...

Okay, now I am really interested! :lol: .

BOR
Joined in 2008

by BOR » Tue May 14, 2024 8:24 am

Zilnad wrote:Just finished Blasphemous 2 and I get paid tomorrow so I've just bought this. It sounds too special to not get right on it.

Probably too late.

It's free on PS+.

jawa_
Joined in 2021

by jawa_ » Tue May 14, 2024 8:28 am

BOR wrote:...It's free on PS+.

I went from a high to a low in seconds!

It's included in PS Plus Extra/Premium, not Essential :-(.

Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008

by Winckle » Tue May 14, 2024 8:45 am

jawa_ wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote:...This one is very reminiscent of the old single-screen platform puzzlers you used to see on the 8bit micros. Especially Jet Set Willy...

Okay, now I am really interested! :lol: .

I don't think Devlin is exaggerating really. It felt like a cross between Castlevania style platforming, but also the single screen vignette style British games of the mid 80s.

We should migrate GRcade to Flarum. :toot:
Jenuall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall

by Jenuall » Tue May 14, 2024 9:36 am

Balladeer wrote:TBP fans unite! You have nothing to lose but your dignity. (Incidentally I am very active on the TBP Discord where I exist mostly as a punching bag for Samuel. I've seen Jen on there occasionally.)

:toot:

I'd be on the Discord more but it's blocked from my work machine sadly! :cry:

Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Tue May 14, 2024 11:01 am

Got this last night and played for about 2 hours straight. Really like it, as Devlin says there are rooms that look like something straight out of Jet set willy.

I got these items: bubble maker, yoyo and slinky.

And these collectibles: 10 Eggs

Robbo-92
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92

by Robbo-92 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:36 pm

Watched a couple of reviews for this earlier on today, looks rather good, added to the Switch wish list for now, got a couple of games coming out next week, so don't really want to jump into this, just to leave it.

BOR
Joined in 2008

by BOR » Tue May 14, 2024 8:42 pm

jawa_ wrote:
BOR wrote:...It's free on PS+.

I went from a high to a low in seconds!

It's included in PS Plus Extra/Premium, not Essential :-(.

Oops. Sorry!

I meant to say PS+ Extra.

jawa_
Joined in 2021

by jawa_ » Tue May 14, 2024 9:02 pm

BOR wrote:Oops. Sorry!

I meant to say PS+ Extra.

Hey, dude, all good - it's a cool bonus for Extra/Premium subscribers :-). Neat to see a few GRcadians getting stuck into the game, too.

Johnny Ryall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig

by Johnny Ryall » Wed May 15, 2024 12:23 am

I’ve gotten the 4 flames and now in an area I assume is end game but taking a break until tomorrow now. Some really good platforming. The ghost cat was a real pain in the ass.

Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Wed May 15, 2024 7:38 am

I've got 2 flames now.

Got a little bit of time in last night and I was thinking it would have been useful for the game to have a fast travel system. Then about a minute later I found the animal whistle which does exactly that :toot:

Balladeer
Joined in 2018

by Balladeer » Wed May 15, 2024 7:48 am

Whereas I'm still running away from the ostrich and the kangaroo. Bastards. :dread:

Return to “Games”