Nintendo Switch Chat Thread - Eight It Time For Somethin' New?

Anything to do with games at all.
site23
Joined in 2021

PostRe: Nintendo Switch Chat Thread - Eight It Time For Somethin' New?
by site23 » Fri May 24, 2024 12:51 pm

Do you really think it will be 2029? They will have already started it when TOTK came out, so that could be 7 or 8 years development time. I remember chatting to Milner a while ago and deciding to guess April 2027...

Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Fri May 24, 2024 12:56 pm

site23 wrote:Do you really think it will be 2029? They will have already started it when TOTK came out, so that could be 7 or 8 years development time. I remember chatting to Milner a while ago and deciding to guess April 2027...

TOTK came out in May 2023 so I just added the 6 years between BOTW and TOTK to get to 2029. TOTK was likely impacted by COVID so there is that I suppose but that might be balanced out by Switch 2 games needing longer in development after the technological advancement.

April 2027 would mean 4 years of development and sadly I can't see that at all!

ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

by ITSMILNER » Fri May 24, 2024 1:11 pm

I think we get a new 2D Zelda in 2026 (40th anniversary) but the next big 3D one is hard to judge, TOTK piggy backed off BOTW base and expanded upon it. COVID delayed it significantly (I think it was expected to launch 2022 I remember reading)

The next one can’t realistically re-use BOTW/TOTK again so it will need to be something new. New map, new graphical style, new powers etc.. they also have a new console to get to grips with so I guess if you factor that all in we could be waiting until 2028 for the next iteration.

site23
Joined in 2021

by site23 » Fri May 24, 2024 1:15 pm

The other way to look at this discussion is that the longer it's cooking, the bigger and better it'll be. So if it takes until 2029, so be it. ...I think I'll have quite bad withdrawal by then though. :slol:

ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

by ITSMILNER » Fri May 24, 2024 1:19 pm

Yeah :lol: thinking 2029 feels a long way out. This is probably why we've still not seen Twilight Prince/Wind Waker hit Switch, they know the next big one is far out so will need releases to keep Zelda fans content.

2024: OoT/MM 3DS remake collection
2025: Twilight Princess HD
2026: Oracle of Ages/Seasons remake
2027: Hyrule Warriors 3
2028: Wind Waker HD
2029: big new 3D Zelda

Could see something like that to keep it going

Robbo-92
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92

by Robbo-92 » Fri May 24, 2024 1:28 pm

site23 wrote:The other way to look at this discussion is that the longer it's cooking, the bigger and better it'll be. So if it takes until 2029, so be it. ...I think I'll have quite bad withdrawal by then though. :slol:

It really doesn’t need to get any bigger though….
the map size in BotW was fine, TotK was overkill in my opinion.

Next 3D Zelda will be ready when it’s ready though, whether that be late 2027 or mid 2028.

Robbo-92
Joined in 2018

by Robbo-92 » Fri May 24, 2024 1:29 pm

ITSMILNER wrote:Yeah :lol: thinking 2029 feels a long way out. This is probably why we've still not seen Twilight Prince/Wind Waker hit Switch, they know the next big one is far out so will need releases to keep Zelda fans content.

The endlessly rumoured ports of TP/WW HD still not coming for at least end of 2025 would be classic Nintendo :lol:

ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

by ITSMILNER » Fri May 24, 2024 1:41 pm

I swear they just sit on them to spite the 'leakers' who say they are coming :lol:

Another game i'm interested to see where they go next with is Splatoon, we've had 3 now and each one hasn't really made massive changes to the last. How will the 4th entry be handled I wonder? I'm hoping they make it near the start of the next Switch generation and keep it going until the end of the console life, treat it like a platform and keep updating it. Add bigger maps and have 6 v 6 modes, maybe incorporate the roguelike elements from Side Order into the next campaign so it's replayable with new things to see.

Tomous
Joined in 2010

by Tomous » Fri May 24, 2024 1:55 pm

ITSMILNER wrote:I swear they just sit on them to spite the 'leakers' who say they are coming :lol:

Another game i'm interested to see where they go next with is Splatoon, we've had 3 now and each one hasn't really made massive changes to the last. How will the 4th entry be handled I wonder? I'm hoping they make it near the start of the next Switch generation and keep it going until the end of the console life, treat it like a platform and keep updating it. Add bigger maps and have 6 v 6 modes, maybe incorporate the roguelike elements from Side Order into the next campaign so it's replayable with new things to see.

Yeah, it'll be really interesting to see how they handle the bump of power for Splatoon. I hope they don't just give it a new lick of paint (oi oi) and rather experiment with things like bigger player counts and new modes like you said.

Tomous
Joined in 2010

by Tomous » Fri May 24, 2024 1:56 pm

ITSMILNER wrote:Yeah :lol: thinking 2029 feels a long way out. This is probably why we've still not seen Twilight Prince/Wind Waker hit Switch, they know the next big one is far out so will need releases to keep Zelda fans content.

I'd go for something like this:

2024: TP/WW Remakes finally
2025: Beefed up BOTW/TOTK versions on Switch 2 (not sure how they'll handle pricing)
2026: Brand new 2D Zelda
2027/2028: Hyrule Warriors/some other side game
2029: 3D Zelda

Robbo-92
Joined in 2018

by Robbo-92 » Fri May 24, 2024 3:46 pm

If the ports of TP/WW HD do actually exist, surely the transition year from Switch to Switch 2 development is the year to finally release them? I could definitely see TotK getting some sort of Switch 2 patch, for these it'd really depend on what a theoretical patch/upgrade includes, getting a decent Switch 2 patch alongside NG+ would probably be the only way I'd actually replay TotK.

Splatoon 4 and Mario Kart 9 are the kind of games that need to release around the launch of Switch 2 and just be updated/drip fed DLC every so often, I've definitely had my fill of Splatoon though, the first was one was excellent, but 2 never seemed as good in my opinion, whether that was the case or just down to the Wii U pretty much being dead by the time Splatoon came out (was it May 2014 or 2015?) and it just getting more playtime, I don't know.

ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

by ITSMILNER » Fri May 24, 2024 3:54 pm

I really like Splatoon, only online shootery game I play, but I haven't played as much of 3 as I thought I would as they have felt quite samey. 4 needs to be a big overhaul I think, Splatoon 3 support seems to be slowing down now we are close to it's 2nd full year, could have Splat 4 for 2026? But yeah, make this one the platform and support it continuously for the Switch 2 years, we don't need a Splat 5 5 years later.

Mario Kart, make it Nintendo Kart, expand on what 8 did and have more tracks and characters from other Nintendo franchises. Also needs a proper single player mode like Mission Mode or something.

Robbo-92
Joined in 2018

by Robbo-92 » Fri May 24, 2024 3:58 pm

Mario Kart seems to be Nintendo Kart in all but name now anyway? Or it's moving that way anyway, I don't think they'll drop the Mario Kart name though.

Tomous
Joined in 2010

by Tomous » Fri May 24, 2024 10:36 pm

Zero chance they ever drop the Mario Kart name, it's one of their biggest.

Fisher
Joined in 2018

by Fisher » Fri May 24, 2024 11:46 pm

Herdanos wrote:
Fisher wrote:i play darkwood today and got gun and bullets.

In the game, I hope.

in the game.

Herdanos
Go for it, Danmon!
Joined in 2008
AKA: lol don't ask

by Herdanos » Sat May 25, 2024 8:05 am

Phew!

Generating Real Conversations About Digital Entertainment
site23
Joined in 2021

by site23 » Sat May 25, 2024 8:11 am

:lol: :wub:

Fisher
Joined in 2018

by Fisher » Sat May 25, 2024 11:58 pm

i play darkwood today and upgrade hotbar in the game.

Carlos
Joined in 2008
AKA: SanCarlos

by Carlos » Sun May 26, 2024 7:52 am

ITSMILNER wrote:I really like Splatoon, only online shootery game I play, but I haven't played as much of 3 as I thought I would as they have felt quite samey. 4 needs to be a big overhaul I think, Splatoon 3 support seems to be slowing down now we are close to it's 2nd full year, could have Splat 4 for 2026? But yeah, make this one the platform and support it continuously for the Switch 2 years, we don't need a Splat 5 5 years later.

Mario Kart, make it Nintendo Kart, expand on what 8 did and have more tracks and characters from other Nintendo franchises. Also needs a proper single player mode like Mission Mode or something.

Mario Kart World

MK x Forza Horizon?

DarkRula
Joined in 2018

by DarkRula » Sun May 26, 2024 10:50 am

Hey, why not make a fully open world game where all the tracks are integrated into that open world? Would make for some interesting visuals with all the themes Nintendo use for tracks.

Return to “Games”