Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door | NSW | Out now!

Anything to do with games at all.
jawa_
Joined in 2021

PostRe: Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door | NSW | Out now!
by jawa_ » Sun May 26, 2024 4:43 pm

aayl1 wrote:This was a translation issue! The original GameCube Japanese release had hooktail scared of frogs. They changed it to crickets (without changing the noise!) for the western release as the Japanese frog noise sounded more like crickets to western ears and so might be confusing to us...

Hehe! That's a cool little fact, aayl!

aayl1
Sir Aaron of GRcade
Joined in 2008

by aayl1 » Sun May 26, 2024 4:46 pm

jawa_ wrote:
aayl1 wrote:This was a translation issue! The original GameCube Japanese release had hooktail scared of frogs. They changed it to crickets (without changing the noise!) for the western release as the Japanese frog noise sounded more like crickets to western ears and so might be confusing to us...

Hehe! That's a cool little fact, aayl!

Thanks! I learned it while watching a paper Mario speed run from AGDQ I think! Worth seeking out if you love and know the game well, there's some cool exploits (not all glitch stuff) like the using the peril badge to boost Mario's attack when he's at 1hp, making some battles gloriously tense!

shy guy 64
Joined in 2018

by shy guy 64 » Sun May 26, 2024 5:43 pm

Just finished chapter 4 and another detail from the Japanese original made it into this version

Join me on the award winning Sam Radio, Wednesdays at 3pm https://samradio.org/listen-now/
Ploiper
Joined in 2018

by Ploiper » Sun May 26, 2024 7:41 pm

opted to tackle the pit of 100 trials so i can get the item at floor 50, got that out the way. just doing bits before i start on chapter 5.

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Sun May 26, 2024 9:27 pm

Ploiper wrote:opted to tackle the pit of 100 trials so i can get the item at floor 50, got that out the way. just doing bits before i start on chapter 5.

What level is recommended for tackling this?

Ploiper
Joined in 2018

by Ploiper » Sun May 26, 2024 9:38 pm

Tomous wrote:
Ploiper wrote:opted to tackle the pit of 100 trials so i can get the item at floor 50, got that out the way. just doing bits before i start on chapter 5.

i went down with 30hp and 30fp and it was pretty straightforward, i think as long as you have 25hp and 25fp at least it should be easy enough to get down the 50 levels. taking enough maple syrups down to refill the fp is the main concern.

shy guy 64
Joined in 2018

by shy guy 64 » Sun May 26, 2024 9:49 pm

Tomous wrote:

feel like i should point out there's a couple side quests that take you down there in case you want to not have to make more trips than you have to

Join me on the award winning Sam Radio, Wednesdays at 3pm https://samradio.org/listen-now/
Robbo-92
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92

by Robbo-92 » Mon May 27, 2024 6:03 pm

One thing I can’t remember is how long the charms stay in effect for from Merlee? Bought the cheapest one and it’s still going, just done the boss in chapter 2 and it doubled my star points so I got 60 :toot:

ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

by ITSMILNER » Mon May 27, 2024 6:08 pm

I’ve not put as much time as I was hoping to in this (Just part way through Chapter 2) but it’s been great so far. Looks lovely, especially the Woods in Chapter 2 :wub:

shy guy 64
Joined in 2018

by shy guy 64 » Mon May 27, 2024 11:28 pm

Finished chapter 5 today so onto 6 tomorrow. And this one sticks out in my mind cause of how long I was stuck on the boss for

Johnny Ryall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig

by Johnny Ryall » Tue May 28, 2024 12:35 am

Just at the start of chapter 7 and put it off for the night. Played this game before but never made it this far having an absolute blast.

Balladeer
Joined in 2018

by Balladeer » Tue May 28, 2024 7:45 am

The Glitz Pit is still one of the great segments in RPGs. :wub: What have they done to the music though? It's not bad, just... different. Like we've gone from Vegas to a sumo ring.

ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

by ITSMILNER » Tue May 28, 2024 9:42 am

Balladeer wrote:The Glitz Pit is still one of the great segments in RPGs. :wub: What have they done to the music though? It's not bad, just... different. Like we've gone from Vegas to a sumo ring.

You can get a badge so it plays the original soundtrack in case you are not a fan.

DarkRula
Joined in 2018

by DarkRula » Tue May 28, 2024 10:00 am

Paper Mario number one in the UK charts!

It only counts physical sales, but that is great news for this release. And the sales are matching those of Origami King.

Balladeer
Joined in 2018

by Balladeer » Tue May 28, 2024 10:14 am

ITSMILNER wrote:
Balladeer wrote:The Glitz Pit is still one of the great segments in RPGs. :wub: What have they done to the music though? It's not bad, just... different. Like we've gone from Vegas to a sumo ring.

You can get a badge so it plays the original soundtrack in case you are not a fan.

I've already got that and chosen not to use it. Like I say, it's not bad, just different.

Curious to read what other people think about that and the other soundtrack changes. That's the biggest difference to my eyes. (Well, ears.)

shy guy 64
Joined in 2018

by shy guy 64 » Tue May 28, 2024 10:37 am

Balladeer wrote:
ITSMILNER wrote:

I've already got that and chosen not to use it. Like I say, it's not bad, just different.

Curious to read what other people think about that and the other soundtrack changes. That's the biggest difference to my eyes. (Well, ears.)

i've spent of a lot of time switching between the two for the comparison. the change in the glitzpit did throw me quite a bit but overall i'd say the remixes are pretty solid

Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Tue May 28, 2024 10:43 am

Early thoughts are very positive. It has everything I loved about Origami King (soundtrack, environments, writing-all excellent) but the gameplay is much, much better. Everything is quite simple but well realised-I love the stage setting for combat and progression is rewarding. I'm not far yet (half way through Chapter 2) but I can see how the badges will add a bit more depth to combat as things go on. I like the partner system too although it's a shame you can only use 1 at a time and the others get folded up and tucked away in your pocket and forgotten about until they're needed.

One thing I much prefer to Origami King is how the acknowledgement of the paper world is much more subtle and less on the nose. It comes through in things like animations and your special powers rather than you literally having to fight a stapler or a pair of scissors in OK :fp:

Main complaint so far is how you can only take on one trouble at a time-seems quite annoying from a backtracking perspective and as a result I haven't tackled too many yet.

Looking forward to getting further in.

Robbo-92
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92

by Robbo-92 » Tue May 28, 2024 11:20 am

I can’t wait for the Glitz Pit again, such an excellent chapter! I should be trying switching between the sound tracks some more, so far the remixes have been good, but then the standard soundtrack is already very good.

Ploiper
Joined in 2018

by Ploiper » Tue May 28, 2024 11:34 am

unlocked one of the new things before tackling chapter 5 -
a certain new boss fight in glitz pit, had a look on youtube on how to tackle it and i think i shall be staying away from this fight until i beat the game. because god damn

Balladeer
Joined in 2018

by Balladeer » Tue May 28, 2024 11:51 am

Tomous wrote:Main complaint so far is how you can only take on one trouble at a time-seems quite annoying from a backtracking perspective and as a result I haven't tackled too many yet.

Easily, easily the worst part of this entire thing. And so fixable! Sometimes I wonder why they didn't, come up with nothing, and despair.

Return to “Games”