Super Mario Kart - Horizons | SNES | Romhack with new circuits, battle tracks and enhancements

Anything to do with games at all.
jawa_
Joined in 2021

PostSuper Mario Kart - Horizons | SNES | Romhack with new circuits, battle tracks and enhancements
by jawa_ » Mon May 27, 2024 8:37 am

Title Super Mario Kart - Horizons
Platform SNES
Release 26-May-2024
Developer gridattack
Publisher ROMhacks
Official game website (ROMhacks)

gridattack wrote:Welcome to Super Mario Kart - Horizons!

Race across new courses in brand new custom locations! Drive along serene grassy plains, treacherous abandoned mines, forgotten jungle ruins, against the sunrise from a mountaintop and more! These beautiful themes and tracks have been crafted with an emphasis on aesthetics and ambience along a custom soundtrack to set the mood just right.
Source: ROMhacks

- 8 custom themes. These breathtaking locations take place across the mushroom kingdom and neighboring lands!
- 20 well designed race tracks. Tracks have been made to be unique as possible, as well as being completely drive-able with any character at 150cc!
- 4 battle tracks. Enjoy a friendly competition in new battle maps that take advantage of new themes and new ideas!
- Unique Ambience. All tracks each have their own color in their respective themes, meaning no tracks look entirely the same!
- Brand new soundtrack. Enjoy catchy compositions for the main course themes, menu themes, credits, character victory tunes & more!
- Modified Menu Screens. Featuring a new Title Screen, Cup Selection, Driver Select, Results, Podium & Credits sequence.
- Revamped Sprites. Drivers, items, obstacles and more have been updated with a more modern look.
- Unlock new content. Mirror Mode is available to be unlocked for all difficulties, Time Trials and Vs Mode. Think the game is too easy? Try out the unlockable hard mode to enhance your experience!
- Modified Mechanics. Advance to the next round by placing 7th or higher! Points distribution have been updated as well.
- Works on original hardware.
- Extra Assets Available. Main Artwork created to represent the hack. Enjoy an official release of the new soundtrack to listen on your platform of choice, check out the custom instruction booklet, or print and build out a custom box & cart label

ImageImageImage

Herdanos
Go for it, Danmon!
Joined in 2008
AKA: lol don't ask

PostRe: Super Mario Kart - Horizons | SNES | Romhack with new circuits, battle tracks and enhancements
by Herdanos » Mon May 27, 2024 9:09 am

Looks sweet.

I doubt I'll ever play this but watching that video gave me a bit more appreciation for just how great a technical achievement the original SMK was on SNES. It's basically a 3D environment rendered in 2D.

Generating Real Conversations About Digital Entertainment
jawa_
Joined in 2021

PostRe: Super Mario Kart - Horizons | SNES | Romhack with new circuits, battle tracks and enhancements
by jawa_ » Mon May 27, 2024 11:31 am

Herdanos wrote:Looks sweet...

It does, doesn't it? I don't play roms myself (no PC) but this looks like it has had a ton of effort put into it; and I particularly like that you can even print a manual and a box (in NTSC and PAL formats!).

Ironhide
Fiend
Joined in 2008

by Ironhide » Mon May 27, 2024 4:26 pm

jawa_ wrote:
Herdanos wrote:Looks sweet...

It does, doesn't it? I don't play roms myself (no PC) but this looks like it has had a ton of effort put into it; and I particularly like that you can even print a manual and a box (in NTSC and PAL formats!).

Your Android tablet should be able to handle SNES emulation.

kerr9000
Joined in 2013

by kerr9000 » Mon May 27, 2024 4:49 pm

I will try this at some point, I quiet enjoyed a Mario Kart hack before Mario Kart R

jawa_
Joined in 2021

by jawa_ » Tue May 28, 2024 9:01 am

Ironhide wrote:
jawa_ wrote:It does, doesn't it? I don't play roms myself (no PC) but this looks like it has had a ton of effort put into it; and I particularly like that you can even print a manual and a box (in NTSC and PAL formats!).

Your Android tablet should be able to handle SNES emulation.

Thanks for the heads-up, Ironhide. I've never got into tablet/mobile gaming but it's cool that it's possible to run SNES stuff on it!

Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

by Qikz » Tue May 28, 2024 11:28 am

Might put this onto my 3DS to give it a go while I'm on my flight tomorrow.

The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
Johnny Ryall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig

by Johnny Ryall » Wed May 29, 2024 10:51 am

Qikz wrote:Might put this onto my 3DS to give it a go while I'm on my flight tomorrow.

Get a load of the 3DS hacking jetsetter over here

Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

by Qikz » Wed May 29, 2024 11:40 am

Johnny Ryall wrote:
Qikz wrote:Might put this onto my 3DS to give it a go while I'm on my flight tomorrow.

I couldn't get it to work lmao

Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008

by Poser » Wed May 29, 2024 12:07 pm

Qikz wrote:
Johnny Ryall wrote:

The ROM or the aeroplane?

Johnny Ryall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig

by Johnny Ryall » Wed May 29, 2024 2:07 pm

Qikz wrote:
Johnny Ryall wrote:

Hacking the 3DS or the ROM itself? I imagine it would need an IPS patch on top of an original SMK ROM.

Looks like there's a web based patcher you can use now https://www.marcrobledo.com/RomPatcher.js/

Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

by Qikz » Wed May 29, 2024 4:19 pm

Johnny Ryall wrote:
Qikz wrote:
Johnny Ryall wrote:

Hacking the 3DS or the ROM itself? I imagine it would need an IPS patch on top of an original SMK ROM.

Looks like there's a web based patcher you can use now https://www.marcrobledo.com/RomPatcher.js/

I patched the rom ok but if I boot it to my 3ds my 3ds crashes. I'll sort it out when I get home in a few weeks.

kerr9000
Joined in 2013

by kerr9000 » Wed May 29, 2024 9:23 pm

I got the Rom ready and had a quick go on PC, seems good, I will probably try and add it to one of my handhelds or something to play it more.

Miguel007
Joined in 2008

by Miguel007 » Thu May 30, 2024 10:28 am

The trailer for this looks fantastic, I'd tried a ROM hack called Mario Kart R many years ago, some of these are really clever but it's all about the track design. If the tracks have some interesting mechanics or have something about them it might be worthwhile otherwise they feel like a soulless Mario Maker level.

The BS F-Zero compilation that was recently released was a ROM hack done superbly well and felt like a legitimate release.

Return to “Games”