The Football Thread 2008/09

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Return_of_the_STAR
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread
by Return_of_the_STAR » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:40 pm

Why do people keep talking about a replacement for Robbie Keane when he hardly played at all anyway, what's the point in buying someone else to be paid not to attend matches and train with the U7 girls team?

Shoe Army
KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:55 pm

Sky have won the Premier League rights again (4 of the 6 packages). The other 2 are to be determined at a later date, though will no doubt be Setanta again.

Kanbei
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Kanbei » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:05 pm

Worst offside decision ever?

[youtubeuk]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp_ju6LVhGw[/youtubeuk]

Skip to 4.23

3 players playing him onside!!!

Ario
Joined in 2008
AKA: Ario

by Ario » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:26 am

KKLEIN wrote:Sky have won the Premier League rights again (4 of the 6 packages). The other 2 are to be determined at a later date, though will no doubt be Setanta again.

Is that more than Sky had for this season though?

ImageImage
Superking
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mr Plough

by Superking » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:33 am

A quick google search suggests its the same number as last time.

One's never alone with a rubber duck
St Nick
Joined in 2008

by St Nick » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:36 am

Just got back from Stockport.

Stockport 0 - 1 MK Dons.

Been there 3 years in a row. Won 3 times in a row. Happy days.

The place is full of chavs.

Oh Teh Nose is my Buddy Brother :wub:
Denster
Joined in 2008

by Denster » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:40 am

Would have fancied everton strongly tonight but after that finish on Sunday Liverpool should be up for it.

Tough to call. If everton can score first like at Anfield it could be really tight!

Looking forward to it!

Chocolate Jim
Joined in 2008

by Chocolate Jim » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:41 am

What does it mean that "BSKYB now have 4 out of the 6 packages to show Premiership Football"??

They keep saying it on SSN but won't actually say what it means!? What games will they show?

Saint of Killers
Joined in 2008

by Saint of Killers » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:43 am

laggyjim wrote:What does it mean that "BSKYB now have 4 out of the 6 packages to show Premiership Football"??

They keep saying it on SSN but won't actually say what it means!? What games will they show?

They'll show all the big games, like they are now. Shitanta will win the remaining two, probably. Would be nice if a terrestrial channel made a bid with ESPN... not likely though.

Ronaldinho80
Joined in 2008

by Ronaldinho80 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:46 am

laggyjim wrote:What does it mean that "BSKYB now have 4 out of the 6 packages to show Premiership Football"??

Package A - the 23 first-pick games to be shown on Sunday at 4pm. As well as their Sunday flagship Package A, Sky have retained Package B, 23 games to be shown on Sundays at 1.30pm; Package E, 23 games for 12.45pm on Saturday; and Package F, 23 matches at various kick-off times.

This leaves Setanta's offerings of Monday 8pm games and Saturday 5.15pm slots open for the second tender.

Zellery
Joined in 2008

by Zellery » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:43 am

Setanta's not gooseberry fool, I actually prefer their match coverage to Sky.

The single exclusion of Jamie Redknapp is actually enough to give it the edge but I prefer the whole experience as a whole anyway.

Shadow
Joined in 2008

by Shadow » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:53 am

Zellery wrote:Setanta's not gooseberry fool, I actually prefer their match coverage to Sky.

The single exclusion of Jamie Redknapp is actually enough to give it the edge but I prefer the whole experience as a whole anyway.

I don't mind Setanta's coverage, it's just the whole con that they sold us,"competition is good", "we're offering you choice", "it'll be better for the consumer", piss off! How is having to pay two subscriptions better than paying one? And as a subscription service Sky Sports don't even need competition, if their service is gooseberry fool, people won't pay it.

I strawberry floating hate Setanta. :x

I'm still a subscriber though. :(

Kanbei
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Kanbei » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:55 am

Zellery wrote:Setanta's not gooseberry fool, I actually prefer their match coverage to Sky.

At least Jamie Redknapp isn't in commentary, Craig Burley is the single worst pundit on tv. I hate it every time I have to listen to him.

mcjihge2
Joined in 2008

by mcjihge2 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:58 am

Denster wrote:Would have fancied everton strongly tonight but after that finish on Sunday Liverpool should be up for it.

Tough to call. If everton can score first like at Anfield it could be really tight!

Looking forward to it!

Im not so sure, the whole team will be rotated and only Carragher will be playing in the same position as sunday. Whilst Man utd play a good settled team with the likes of scholes and carrick grinding out results on rainy days in stoke thinking about the brown ale and meat pie at half time, alonso and macherano and lucas and benayuon and riera (or whoever happens to be playing that day) dream about fine wines and pealla whist getting a half hearted draw at a cold bolton.

Normally i wouldnt mind exiting the cup competitions so that just the premiership was consentrated upon, but i suppose rafa would still squad rotate just in the league, so i do hope for success in the cup, just to keep more settled teams in each competition.

I only hope that there is a clause in the Keane contract that menas that tottenham loose thier last game of the season 5-0.

Xbox Live: GCE
Cropolite
Joined in 2008
AKA: concon777

by Cropolite » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:43 pm

Sky may yet (hopefully) get that fifth package also. :)

Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Dowbocop » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:44 pm

Kanbei wrote:
abcd wrote:
glowy69 wrote:He is still rubbish.

Ok then.

I wouldn't worry about it. I can't see us turning it around this season, so Villa have nothing to fear about us catching up.

He's a very good player (as seen in the Euros) it just depends where Wenger wants to put him, his best position would probably be 2nd striker but van Persie plays there so it looks like he'll probably go on the wing, I don't think he has the physique to be a central midfielder.

I think in the short term he will be playing where Fabregas would, so central/attacking midfield, then when Cesc is back it'll be reassessed. When they do a FIFA 09 update to put him in our squad I'm going to use a 3-1-3-2-1:

Code: Select all

Almunia
Sagna       Toure      Clichy
          Denilson
Nasri     Fabregas   Rosicky
    Arshavin    Van Persie
          Adebayor

To be honest I've not seen much of him to assess his physique, when he was in the Euros Spurs were favourites to sign him so I didn't give a gooseberry fool :lol:

Cardinal Chunder
Joined in 2008
AKA: CosmoKramer

by Cardinal Chunder » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:45 pm

It's about time the BBC got some Premier League games and not just highlights.

Shadow
Joined in 2008

by Shadow » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:50 pm

CosmoKramer wrote:It's about time the BBC got some Premier League games and not just highlights.

I agree, but Sky already have most of the glamour ties, if games were going to be shown on the beeb, they should be the real must see games.

Saint of Killers
Joined in 2008

by Saint of Killers » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:51 pm

Zellery wrote:The single exclusion of Jamie Redknapp is actually enough to give it the edge but I prefer the whole experience as a whole anyway.

Okay, so Twatanta doesn't have Redknapp, but they make up for it by using Steve McManamanamanamanamanamanaman.

Shadow wrote:I don't mind Setanta's coverage, it's just the whole con that they sold us,"competition is good", "we're offering you choice", "it'll be better for the consumer"...

I hope the MEP who pushed for that is dicked in the eye socket. C***.

Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Cuttooth » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:54 pm

I wish the BBC got the 12:45 Saturday matches, it would be the perfect time for them.

Before Setanta came along and took the other two packages weren't Sky only showing those matches on a second subscription anyway; PremPlus?

Return to “Stuff”