Car Thread II

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Lotus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Lotus » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:42 pm

I've been watching and reading a lot about Japanese sports cars from the 80s and 90s lately.
I absolutely love the style of them (and old Japanese tech in general, really) the 80s ones in particular.

Does anyone know of any good websites/forums or YouTube channels etc that covers them? Or even any collections that can be visited?
Came dangerously close to buying an old MR2 the other day on a whim. :slol:

Albear
Joined in 2008

by Albear » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:32 pm

Good man! Over the years, I have owned:

- Mark 1 MR2
- Mark 1 MR2 Supercharged Tbar
- Mark 2 MR2 Tbar
- Nissan Skyline R33 GTS
- Nissan Skyline R33 GTR

Love me some Japanese sports cars and super reliable for the type of car they are (I subsequently owned a Cerbera which strongly backed this up)

Can't think of any specific websites beyond the usual culprits, Pistonheads, or owner Forums which are usually a really good source of info)

abcd
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
AKA: abcd

by abcd » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:34 pm

I've always had a soft spot for the Toyota AE86

Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:36 pm

My mate had a MR2 tbar, it was really nice.
I used to have a gtfour too.

Love those era cars but I certainly don't miss trying to get parts or have someone not take the piss when doing work on it.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:42 pm

Sold my old car for a few hundred (it was in an awful state). Had to be towed away as wouldn't start anymore so assumed the guy was going to strip it for parts.

Judging by the letter I had through the post, seems the guy got it started but then got it seized by the police the very next day for driving without insurance, an MOT and tax :slol:

Jenuall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall

by Jenuall » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:52 pm

Idiot! :lol:

Lotus
Joined in 2008

by Lotus » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:56 pm

Albear wrote:Good man! Over the years, I have owned:

- Mark 1 MR2
- Mark 1 MR2 Supercharged Tbar
- Mark 2 MR2 Tbar
- Nissan Skyline R33 GTS
- Nissan Skyline R33 GTR

Love me some Japanese sports cars and super reliable for the type of car they are (I subsequently owned a Cerbera which strongly backed this up)

Can't think of any specific websites beyond the usual culprits, Pistonheads, or owner Forums which are usually a really good source of info)

Nice, got any photos of the ones you've owned? Would love to see them.

I've seen a few forums and sites, hadn't really thought of owners forums though, so I'll take a look - thanks.

abcd wrote:I've always had a soft spot for the Toyota AE86

Indeed, I love it. Saw one the other day that sold for £25k, so my idea of owning one kinda went out the window then if that's the going rate. :slol:

Victor Mildew wrote:My mate had a MR2 tbar, it was really nice.
I used to have a gtfour too.

Love those era cars but I certainly don't miss trying to get parts or have someone not take the piss when doing work on it.

I have found some more reasonably priced ones, but yeah part of me does wonder if they'd just be more trouble than they're worth. I'd probably be content with just staring at it and sitting in it, so it seems excessive to spend several grand just to do that. :slol:

Robbo-92
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92

by Robbo-92 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:30 pm

Confirmed it was indeed the heat shield over the exhaust that was causing the intermittent rattle with the Civic, good news is the heat shield rattles no more!

The bad news? It fell off on the way home from work :lol:

Return to “Stuff”