Coronavirus & stuff

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Coronavirus & stuff
by That's not a growth » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:59 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:Also, as many have pointed out, that rate is many, many times lower than those for hormonal contraception, which is widely accepted.

twitter.com/Victoria_Spratt/status/1379821926911242240



Do you have more info on that? First time I've seen some actual context on this clot shite.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Coronavirus & stuff
by Tafdolphin » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:24 pm

That's not a growth wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:Also, as many have pointed out, that rate is many, many times lower than those for hormonal contraception, which is widely accepted.

twitter.com/Victoria_Spratt/status/1379821926911242240



Do you have more info on that? First time I've seen some actual context on this clot shite.


https://nwhn.org/hormonal-birth-control ... clot-risk/

According to a study published in The Lancet, excluding other lifestyle factors such as weight and smoking habits, there’s three times the risk of blood clots if you take the contraceptive pill. The National Blood Clot Alliance outlined that this equates to around one in 1,000 women per year who take hormonal birth control pills. UN figures from 2019 found that around 842 million people use hormonal contraceptives. The Nursing Times highlights that studies into the links between hormonal contraceptives and blood clots would suggest that they’re still a suitable contraceptive option for some people but not everyone.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicebrost ... b4aab3db30

Obviously this is a summary, and therefore a generalisation, but it's 1 in 1000 for CHC. Compare that to 30 in 20 million from the AZ vaccine. The former figure there isn't deaths, however.

Still, people need to sit the strawberry float down about all this.

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Coronavirus & stuff
by ITSMILNER » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:28 pm

So what happens to those under 30’s who have had their first jab as AZ? Second jab still going ahead as AZ?

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Coronavirus & stuff
by Return_of_the_STAR » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:32 pm

ITSMILNER wrote:So what happens to those under 30’s who have had their first jab as AZ? Second jab still going ahead as AZ?


Yes

User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Coronavirus & stuff
by That's not a growth » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:41 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
That's not a growth wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:Also, as many have pointed out, that rate is many, many times lower than those for hormonal contraception, which is widely accepted.

twitter.com/Victoria_Spratt/status/1379821926911242240



Do you have more info on that? First time I've seen some actual context on this clot shite.


https://nwhn.org/hormonal-birth-control ... clot-risk/

According to a study published in The Lancet, excluding other lifestyle factors such as weight and smoking habits, there’s three times the risk of blood clots if you take the contraceptive pill. The National Blood Clot Alliance outlined that this equates to around one in 1,000 women per year who take hormonal birth control pills. UN figures from 2019 found that around 842 million people use hormonal contraceptives. The Nursing Times highlights that studies into the links between hormonal contraceptives and blood clots would suggest that they’re still a suitable contraceptive option for some people but not everyone.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicebrost ... b4aab3db30

Obviously this is a summary, and therefore a generalisation, but it's 1 in 1000 for CHC. Compare that to 30 in 20 million from the AZ vaccine. The former figure there isn't deaths, however.

Still, people need to sit the strawberry float down about all this.


Thanks Taff, good to know.

User avatar
Prototype
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Coronavirus & stuff
by Prototype » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:44 pm

What's the general thought about the vaccine passports? On one hand I totally get it, but on the other, it does seem like it may give the goverment ideas for further compelled ID systems in future?

User avatar
PatSharpsMullet
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: PatSharpsMullet
Location: Hove

PostRe: Coronavirus & stuff
by PatSharpsMullet » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:01 pm

Prototype wrote:What's the general thought about the vaccine passports? On one hand I totally get it, but on the other, it does seem like it may give the goverment ideas for further compelled ID systems in future?

I think they will have to be introduced in some capacity as other countries may only let you in if you provide one. Even if you don't need one to get in, I can see places only allowing access to people that have one. If they are introduced, then it should be optional for places to decide whether you need one to access their business or not. I feel that many places will decide against it due the hassle customer facing staff will receive because of it. If they do introduce them they they need to be available in both physical and digital form so that you don't alienate people that don't have smartphones.

Image
User avatar
Tomous
Member
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Coronavirus & stuff
by Tomous » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:06 pm

Vaccine passports for international travel absolutely.

Domestic passports no.

Image
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Coronavirus & stuff
by Victor Mildew » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:37 am

Wife had the AZ jab yesterday. Said the vaccination place only has that one so it's what I'm getting next week. Hopefully it installs the pro version of Windows 10 and not Vista.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Coronavirus & stuff
by Rex Kramer » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:52 am

Prototype wrote:What's the general thought about the vaccine passports? On one hand I totally get it, but on the other, it does seem like it may give the goverment ideas for further compelled ID systems in future?

I'm finding this one a really tricky thing to process. On one side, the state should never be mandating to citizens that they have to take a vaccine. Now don't get me wrong, everyone should get vaccinated but everyone who does should want to do it and not be forced into the position or lose access within society. On the other side, people who work in people facing positions also have a right to be kept safe and vaccination is the only route to that. Documentation that proves you've been vaccinated is really the only sure fire way of knowing who has been done but it also then creates a 2 tier society that will automatically exclude people (have they then broken the social contract by not taking steps to ensure everyone's safety?). I think it's inevitable but that doesn't mean I think it should happen.

User avatar
Rubix
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol
Contact:

PostRe: Coronavirus & stuff
by Rubix » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:00 am

Tomous wrote:Vaccine passports for international travel absolutely.

Domestic passports no.


This.

PLAY | Super Mario Maker 2, Cyberpunk 2077, Monster Hunter Rise
WATCH | The Falcon and the Winter Soldier [S1], The Flight Attendant [S1], The Circle USA [S2], Taskmaster [S11]
READ | [b] The Secret Political Adviser, [a] How to be like Walt, [k] I'll be there for you
User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Coronavirus & stuff
by Rex Kramer » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:24 am

Have AZ kicked up a fuss recently or are there other reasons the media in the UK aren't calling it the Oxford vaccine any more?

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Coronavirus & stuff
by OrangeRKN » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:34 am

I assume it's called the Oxford vaccine when there is good news and AZ when there is talk of blood clots.

Image
Image
orkn.uk - @OrangeRakoon - Top 5 Games of 2020 - SW-6533-2461-3235
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Coronavirus & stuff
by Victor Mildew » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:35 am

Rex Kramer wrote:Have AZ kicked up a fuss recently or are there other reasons the media in the UK aren't calling it the Oxford vaccine any more?


I want the British one!

Oh wait, no let's make it sound a bit more foreign. Astra what? Sounds German to me!

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Coronavirus & stuff
by Rocsteady » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:36 am

Even the passports for intl travel will be difficult to sort. There are around 12 competing organisations trying to run this already.

I suspect IATA may come up with a solution alongside national/supranational organisations but it'll take a long time for it to be rolled out and become standard. By which time COVID may be in the rear view mirror for many of the rich nations.

Image
User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Coronavirus & stuff
by Cuttooth » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:44 am

OrangeRKN wrote:I assume it's called the Oxford vaccine when there is good news and AZ when there is talk of blood clots.

The Andy Murray of vaccines.

User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Coronavirus & stuff
by Victor Mildew » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:59 am

Rocsteady wrote:Even the passports for intl travel will be difficult to sort. There are around 12 competing organisations trying to run this already.

I suspect IATA may come up with a solution alongside national/supranational organisations but it'll take a long time for it to be rolled out and become standard. By which time COVID may be in the rear view mirror for many of the rich nations.


The Ocado driver who delivers to and is on first name terms with Matt Hancock:

Image

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Coronavirus & stuff
by Rocsteady » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:09 am

Victor Mildew wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:Even the passports for intl travel will be difficult to sort. There are around 12 competing organisations trying to run this already.

I suspect IATA may come up with a solution alongside national/supranational organisations but it'll take a long time for it to be rolled out and become standard. By which time COVID may be in the rear view mirror for many of the rich nations.


The Ocado driver who delivers to and is on first name terms with Matt Hancock:

Image

:lol:

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: Coronavirus & stuff
by Jenuall » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:17 am

:lol:

User avatar
Tomous
Member
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Coronavirus & stuff
by Tomous » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:46 am

Brilliant :lol:

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dowbocop, Heskimo and 119 guests