The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Robbo-92
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92

PostRe: The Work Thread 2 - Get back to work!
by Robbo-92 » Tue May 11, 2021 6:56 pm

Congratulations on the new job also Zilnad, was this the one you felt really positive and upbeat about? Hope it is :)

I really need to get some motivation and apply for some jobs, felt like I had an awful week at work last week, felt awful (for once I felt properly stressed due to work) by the time I had a day off so slept really well, but then I slept awfully the following night when I was due back at work :fp: Seen a job that could be good to apply for that closes in a couple of days so might get an application in for that, had a quick look at the application form (its an apprenticeship so not exactly too in depth) but already seen the hobbies question is on there, guess I should be honest and say the past year has mainly been spent watching/catching up on TV series, live sport and playing too many video games :lol:

I still feel in a really awkward position though, on the one hand I’m keen to leave and actually try and better myself elsewhere but at the same time I know what to expect 99% of the time from my current job so it feels very much like a safe space if that doesn’t sound too weird?

Zilnad
Joined in 2019

by Zilnad » Tue May 11, 2021 8:27 pm

Hi Robbo, thank you. Yes, it's the job I felt really positive about so I'm really happy.

My advice to you is to submit your application to the job you're looking at. If you get an interview, great. You'll have an opportunity to find out more about the job and decide if it's right for you. If I've learned one thing over the past few weeks, it's to stop listening to that voice in my head that tells me "no". Even the things that don't work out give you some sort of experience. Whether that's getting better at interviewing, being more sure of your own wants and needs or anything really.

Look, I'm not great with words but don't talk yourself out of trying.

Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

by Drumstick » Tue May 11, 2021 8:53 pm

Robbo, I hear there's an opening at Zilnad's place.

You should totally apply.

Check out my YouTube channel!
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image Image
Robbo-92
Joined in 2018

by Robbo-92 » Wed May 12, 2021 4:15 pm

Zilnad wrote:Hi Robbo, thank you. Yes, it's the job I felt really positive about so I'm really happy.

My advice to you is to submit your application to the job you're looking at. If you get an interview, great. You'll have an opportunity to find out more about the job and decide if it's right for you. If I've learned one thing over the past few weeks, it's to stop listening to that voice in my head that tells me "no". Even the things that don't work out give you some sort of experience. Whether that's getting better at interviewing, being more sure of your own wants and needs or anything really.

Good to hear it’s that job.

The voice in my head saying no is certainly an issue for me, very hard to shake off too :(

Now I’ve had a bit of time relaxing after work, I’m going to get my application in for that job, as you rightly say I’ll get something out of the process even if not a new job.

Drumstick wrote:Robbo, I hear there's an opening at Zilnad's place.

I legit have no idea Zilnad does, I take it wasn’t the best place to work though……. :lol:

Tomous
Joined in 2010

by Tomous » Wed May 12, 2021 4:39 pm

Robbo-92 wrote:
Zilnad wrote:Hi Robbo, thank you. Yes, it's the job I felt really positive about so I'm really happy.

The voice in my head saying no is certainly an issue for me, very hard to shake off too :(

Now I’ve had a bit of time relaxing after work, I’m going to get my application in for that job, as you rightly say I’ll get something out of the process even if not a new job.

I legit have no idea Zilnad does, I take it wasn’t the best place to work though……. :lol:

Basically, he is responsible for opening the post there.

Robbo-92
Joined in 2018

by Robbo-92 » Wed May 12, 2021 4:50 pm

Tomous wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:

Basically, he is responsible for opening the post there.

Well if they can first employ someone to forward all the mail on to me (or even better if it’s just opening them on Outlook) then I’ll give it a shot! :toot:

Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Drumstick » Wed May 12, 2021 4:59 pm

Had my PM interview. It went OK but a few questions caught me off guard. Gut feeling says hell no.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image Image
Zilnad
Joined in 2019

by Zilnad » Wed May 12, 2021 5:05 pm

Work have put up an advert for my role now. The starting wage is strawberry floating abysmal though, far below what they paid me and it's the exact same role. Also says that they need someone who can start immediately :lol:

Jenuall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall

by Jenuall » Wed May 12, 2021 5:06 pm

Zilnad wrote:Work have put up an advert for my role now. The starting wage is strawberry floating abysmal though, far below what they paid me and it's the exact same role. Also says that they need someone who can start immediately :lol:

Well the post pile isn't getting any smaller, not surprised they're trying to get someone in quick!

Drumstick wrote:Had my PM interview. It went OK but a few questions caught me off guard. Gut feeling says hell no.

There are always going to be questions like that, if nothing else you can take away some understanding of the sort of curve balls you might get next time!

When do you find out the outcome?

Zilnad
Joined in 2019

by Zilnad » Wed May 12, 2021 5:08 pm

My mistake, they've added some new tasks to the role as well. Clearly taking advantage of the current desperation people out of work will be suffering.

And well done on your interview Drummy. The curveball question will be good experience if you go for any more. What about your gut feeling put you off? I usually trust my gut but there's always a legitimate reason why your gut sense tingles.

Last edited by Zilnad on Wed May 12, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jenuall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall

by Jenuall » Wed May 12, 2021 5:09 pm

So they've added extra responsibilities AND reduced the salary?

Where do I sign up! :lol:

Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Drumstick » Wed May 12, 2021 5:10 pm

Jenuall wrote:
Drumstick wrote:Had my PM interview. It went OK but a few questions caught me off guard. Gut feeling says hell no.

There are always going to be questions like that, if nothing else you can take away some understanding of the sort of curve balls you might get next time!

When do you find out the outcome?

Unsure, they've got other people to interview first. I'd expect maybe by the end of the month but I have absolutely no expectations of being offered this post.

Image Image Image
Zilnad
Joined in 2019

by Zilnad » Wed May 12, 2021 5:13 pm

Jenuall wrote:So they've added extra responsibilities AND reduced the salary?

Where do I sign up! :lol:

They've actually added casual dress. I was always made to wear a tie so I might actually reapply now!

They've got the application deadline in two weeks time with the start date listed as two days later :lol:

I'm wondering if they'll ask me to teach the newby or if they'll just do it themselves. Either way I'm definitely doing anything like that over phone/video. Not going near the place.

Zilnad
Joined in 2019

by Zilnad » Wed May 12, 2021 5:18 pm

Applicants must be able to demonstrate good professional ethics.

What like attempting to commit tax fraud? You strawberry floating prannies.

Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Drumstick » Wed May 12, 2021 5:29 pm

Zilnad wrote:My mistake, they've added some new tasks to the role as well. Clearly taking advantage of the current desperation people out of work will be suffering.

And well done on your interview Drummy. The curveball question will be good experience if you go for any more. What about your gut feeling put you off? I usually trust my gut but there's always a legitimate reason why your gut sense tingles.

Some of my answers had good content but delivery wasn't especially slick, which is unlike me. I also had to try and mould some answers I had prepped to fit the questions they asked which is less than ideal.

Also don't feel like there was space for my personality to come out.

Image Image Image
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008

by Green Gecko » Wed May 12, 2021 6:48 pm

Zilnad wrote:Applicants must be able to demonstrate good professional ethics.

Well they say you hire for the things you're no good at.

"It should be common sense to just accept the message Nintendo are sending out through their actions."

❤ btw GRcade costs money and depends on donations - please support one of the UK's oldest video gaming forums → HOW TO DONATE
Oblomov Boblomov
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

by Oblomov Boblomov » Wed May 12, 2021 9:25 pm

Maybe we should all apply for your job then cancel on the day of the interview bwahahaa

Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Wed May 12, 2021 10:12 pm

Zilnad wrote:Applicants must be able to demonstrate good professional ethics.

Please link to your glass door review once you've left.

Better still, report them once you've left.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
Robbo-92
Joined in 2018

by Robbo-92 » Thu May 13, 2021 9:11 pm

Got that job applied for this evening, even just hitting the submit button left me feeling nervous. It’s been far too long since I’ve felt motivated to actually try and get a new job, even if nothing much comes out of it, hopefully the motivation to get something new will do!

Zilnad
Joined in 2019

by Zilnad » Thu May 13, 2021 9:17 pm

I know that feeling very well, Robbo. I talked myself out of applying to so many jobs but you really don't know what they're going to be like until you go to interview.

Well done on sending the application.

Return to “Stuff”