Euro 2020 thread - England and Wales remain in Europe, Scotland leaves. Hang on...

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Euro 2020 thread - IT BEGINS
by Tomous » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:18 pm

Rodgers is so cringeworthy at times, I read this in an article about our playoff win 10 years ago the other day:

Craig Beattie was an unused substitute at Wembley, but the striker came to the fore on the M4.

"We started the journey back and the music wasn't the best," Rodgers says.

"Then Beatts came up and said 'boss listen, I have got some music we can play'.

"We stuck his playlist on, and this was the best playlist I have ever come across. It was probably because it was Eighties music - every tune seemed the right one for the right moment.

"Every time I would look down the bus, Beatts would make eye contact as if to say 'yeah, this is the best music boss'."

I wonder how Craig Beattie tells this story :lol:

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by Moggy » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:23 pm

twitter.com/ScotlandNT/status/1403333028475252736

Scotland :wub:

Tomous
Joined in 2010

by Tomous » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:35 pm

Good stuff :wub:

Photek
Joined in 2008

by Photek » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:39 pm

Scotland :wub:

Andy Robertson :wub:

Lotus
Joined in 2008

by Lotus » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:51 pm

A few quick predictions before the tournament gets started...

Winner: Italy
Dark horse: Turkey
Golden Boot: Immobile
Player of the tournament: Kante
How will England do: Quarter Finals
How will Scotland do: Group Stage
How will Wales do: Last 16

Tomous
Joined in 2010

by Tomous » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:55 pm

Golden Boot: Kane
How will England do: Semi-Finals
How will Wales do: Last 16

Herdanos
Go for it, Danmon!
Joined in 2008

by Herdanos » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:57 pm

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:I entered a sweepstake at my place with the Security team and they're not revealing who anyone has got until the day of the final. What the strawberry float is the point in that? :|

That sounds a bit dodgy :lol:

Edit: so are they going to draw names on the day of the final or have they already done it?

They've sealed the name of each country in separate envelopes. Each entrant chooses an envelope and writes their name on it. On the day of the final, the envelopes are opened and presumably the two people matched to the finalists get all excited about it.

Still seems stupid to me! Most of the fun of being in a sweepstake is getting the worst team and supporting them!

Someone done goofed here

You are meant to keep the envelopes sealed until all teams have been purchased, so that the organiser doesn't struggle to sell the last few envelopes if it's known that all the good teams have already been selected and only also-rans remain. However, the point is to open the envelopes, and reveal whose team is whose, just before the finals start (i.e. before the tournament begins), not the overall final match of the whole tournament :lol:

Done this way, there is no accountability. If revealed before the tournament (as should be the case) everyone knows who has who; done the way your version is going (which is bonkers) there is no way players can prevent the organiser assigning the two final teams to players of their choosing.

Generating Real Conversations About Digital Entertainment
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by Moggy » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:01 pm

Winner: France
Dark horse: North Macedonia
Golden Boot: Mbappe
Player of the tournament: Sancho
How will England do: Semi Finals
How will Wales do: Quarter Finals

Oblomov Boblomov
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

by Oblomov Boblomov » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:03 pm

Herdanos wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:I entered a sweepstake at my place with the Security team and they're not revealing who anyone has got until the day of the final. What the strawberry float is the point in that? :|

That sounds a bit dodgy :lol:

Edit: so are they going to draw names on the day of the final or have they already done it?

They've sealed the name of each country in separate envelopes. Each entrant chooses an envelope and writes their name on it. On the day of the final, the envelopes are opened and presumably the two people matched to the finalists get all excited about it.

Still seems stupid to me! Most of the fun of being in a sweepstake is getting the worst team and supporting them!

Someone done goofed here

You are meant to keep the envelopes sealed until all teams have been purchased, so that the organiser doesn't struggle to sell the last few envelopes if it's known that all the good teams have already been selected and only also-rans remain. However, the point is to open the envelopes, and reveal whose team is whose, just before the finals start (i.e. before the tournament begins), not the overall final match of the whole tournament :lol:

Done this way, there is no accountability. If revealed before the tournament (as should be the case) everyone knows who has who; done the way your version is going (which is bonkers) there is no way players can prevent the organiser assigning the two final teams to players of their choosing.

Maybe that's what has happened :lol: last year they revealed teams immediately and actively made a point of telling everyone which big teams were left in it or who had got England (which was me!) etc.

This year they've clearly gone way over the top and completely ruined it! Oh well, it's only £1 so I'm not going to make a fuss.

Oblomov Boblomov
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

by Oblomov Boblomov » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:05 pm

Winner: England
Dark horse: Scotland
Player of the tournament: Foden
How will England do: Winners
How will Scotland do: Semi Final
How will Wales do: Quarter Final

Stuart
Joined in 2021

PostRe: Euro 2020 thread - Ob Bob fobbed off in insecure security sweepstake scam
by Stuart » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:08 pm

Winner: England
Dark horse: Poland
Player of the tournament: Harry Maguire
How will England do: Champions of Europe
How will Scotland do: Group stage
How will Wales do: Group stage

sawyerpip
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Euro 2020 thread - Ob Bob fobbed off in insecure security sweepstake scam
by sawyerpip » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:11 pm

Winner: Wales
Dark horse: Wales
Golden Boot: Kieffer Moore
Player of the tournament: Chris Gunter
How will England do: Round of 16
How will Scotland do: Round of 16
How will Wales do: Champions

Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

by Preezy » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:30 pm

Winner: France (boring but true)
Golden Boot: Benzema
Player of the tournament: Bruno Fernandes, obviously
How will England do: First knockout round
How will Scotland do: Bottom of the group
How will Wales do: 3rd in the group but don't qualify.

speedboatchase
Joined in 2008

by speedboatchase » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:45 pm

Dark horse: Denmark
Golden Boot: Lukaku
Player of the tournament: Foden
How will England do: Final
How will Wales do: Group Stage

Herdanos
Go for it, Danmon!
Joined in 2008

by Herdanos » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:48 pm

These are not necessarily what I expect to be true, but I don't want to just echo what's already been said, so...

Winner: Germany
Dark horse: Scotland
Golden Boot: Lewandowski
Player of the tournament: Insigne
How will England do: Group stage
How will Scotland do: Quarter finals
How will Wales do: Second round (3rd place in group)

Generating Real Conversations About Digital Entertainment
Tomous
Joined in 2010

by Tomous » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:01 pm

Ob Fob :lol:

Photek
Joined in 2008

by Photek » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:09 pm

Dark horse: Croatia
Golden Boot: Mbappe
How will England do: Kane will dive and win free kicks for your set pieces, last 16.
How will Scotland do: They'll have heart but no skill, like, at all, 3 draws in the group.
How will Wales do: Chimp boy Bale will lead them to a shuddering defeat in the group stage.

sawyerpip
Joined in 2009

by sawyerpip » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:26 pm

Chimp Boy :lol: Why do you hate Wales Photek? Is it anything to do with the recent games we've had with Ireland (seems like we've played loads in the last few years) or something else entirely?

Jenuall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall

PostRe: Euro 2020 thread "Best of luck to the Home Nations, I'm rooting for you!" - Photek
by Jenuall » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:39 pm

Wales did so well last time with their run to the Semi Finals, including a memorable win over Belgium, would love them to have the same level of success this time but I think it will be a tough ask!

Tomous
Joined in 2010

by Tomous » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:44 pm

How will Ireland do:

Return to “Stuff”