Politics Thread 6

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Who will you vote for at the next General Election?

Conservative
10%
Labour
41%
Liberal Democrat
18%
Green
14%
SNP
10%
Brexit Party
3%
UKIP
1%
Plaid Cymru
2%
DUP
1%
Sinn Fein
1%
The Independent Group for Change
No votes

Total votes: 158
Trelliz
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Trelliz » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:23 pm

VlaSoul wrote:It's hilarious to me that Japan apparently doesnt have like an actual army and still spends that much on the military.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Ground_Self-Defense_Force

jawa2 wrote:Tl;dr Trelliz isn't a miserable git; he's right.
VlaSoul
Joined in 2018
AKA: Vtheyoshi

by VlaSoul » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:33 pm

Trelliz wrote:
VlaSoul wrote:It's hilarious to me that Japan apparently doesnt have like an actual army and still spends that much on the military.

iirc their constitution says they're not to make an army, or at least one that can act outside of Japan

obviously that hasnt stopped them because I kind of doubt a military that well funded is purely for defensive purposes

was Vtheyoshi on (S)ONM. V I was, V I remain
sig made by the venerable Krik
Return_of_the_STAR
Joined in 2008

by Return_of_the_STAR » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:41 pm

VlaSoul wrote:
Trelliz wrote:

iirc their constitution says they're not to make an army, or at least one that can act outside of Japan

obviously that hasnt stopped them because I kind of doubt a military that well funded is purely for defensive purposes

For all intents and purpose they have a full military, army, airforce and navy. However they have a commitment that it is purely for defence. I have noted that they are slowly moving towards a traditional armed force and is pretty much a defence force in name and policy only. They currently don’t take part in foreign campaigns however I suspect in the near future it will traditionally become one with the western powers blessing and much disdain from China and Russia.

Shoe Army
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by Moggy » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:29 am

twitter.com/iancarterim/status/1465937994448310274

The strawberry floating state of some people in this country. :fp:

Rex Kramer
Joined in 2008

by Rex Kramer » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:32 am

Maybe it's just rose-tinted specs but I preferred the days when racists were too embarrassed to openly speak out.

Outrunner
Joined in 2008

by Outrunner » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:22 am

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
VlaSoul wrote:
Trelliz wrote:

For all intents and purpose they have a full military, army, airforce and navy. However they have a commitment that it is purely for defence. I have noted that they are slowly moving towards a traditional armed force and is pretty much a defence force in name and policy only. They currently don’t take part in foreign campaigns however I suspect in the near future it will traditionally become one with the western powers blessing and much disdain from China and Russia.

Not just their blessing. America has been pressuring Japan to rearm since the 1950s. The self-defence force was a compromise but it was much much less than what the Americans wanted from Japan.

Please do not post this in the "No Context" thread
Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:37 am

twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1465927734069280768

Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

by Preezy » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:53 am

I am SHOCKED, SHOCKED I tell you, that our brave COVID hero Sir Matt "Handsy" Hancock of Heroville would be embroiled in any sort of scandal whatsoever, it's just not like him and I don't believe it.

Rik_
Joined in 2015

by Rik_ » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:12 am

VlaSoul wrote:
Rik_ wrote:That spending is partly why the US military produces more greenhouse gas emissions than entire countries:

America's obsession with the military (and the West's more generally) is quite literally killing the planet alongside all the other atrocities it's responsible for.

while I agree that the US does take it to obscene levels, I don't disagree with military build up. At least not practically, though I sympathise ideologically with you. There's a value to having a strong military and the ability to project it. I think it was important that the USSR had one that was equivalent to the US as it meant that neither could entirely run the show like the US did for two to three decades. Also ideally it would be used to spread the revolution but that's probably not realistic, especially in the 21st century.

While I agree that having a military capability in and of itself isn't a bad thing, especially in the context of the Cold War, I think it's misguided to see the military as a potential tool of revolution, or even a proponent for any milder social progression. The US military and the vast majority of other western militaries are imperialist forces to their very core; you might see soldiers defect at an individual or group level but the institutions themselves are rooted in the upholding of a capitalist, imperialist status quo.

PSN - Rik2209
Switch - SW-7686-7983-2581
Discord - rik#3968
KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:41 am

Tomous wrote:

VlaSoul
Joined in 2018
AKA: Vtheyoshi

by VlaSoul » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:55 am

Rik_ wrote:
VlaSoul wrote:
Rik_ wrote:That spending is partly why the US military produces more greenhouse gas emissions than entire countries:

America's obsession with the military (and the West's more generally) is quite literally killing the planet alongside all the other atrocities it's responsible for.

while I agree that the US does take it to obscene levels, I don't disagree with military build up. At least not practically, though I sympathise ideologically with you. There's a value to having a strong military and the ability to project it. I think it was important that the USSR had one that was equivalent to the US as it meant that neither could entirely run the show like the US did for two to three decades. Also ideally it would be used to spread the revolution but that's probably not realistic, especially in the 21st century.

While I agree that having a military capability in and of itself isn't a bad thing, especially in the context of the Cold War, I think it's misguided to see the military as a potential tool of revolution, or even a proponent for any milder social progression. The US military and the vast majority of other western militaries are imperialist forces to their very core; you might see soldiers defect at an individual or group level but the institutions themselves are rooted in the upholding of a capitalist, imperialist status quo.

I don't disagree with you there, militaries of capitalist and fascist states are tools of capitalism and fascism, and then so tend to be tools of imperialism. I'd also be lying if I said that state militaries weren't also tools of red imperialism. To be fair to the US, there were points in its history where its military could have been a tool of spreading the capitalist/republican revolution, but they were generally too isolationist to be inclined to do so.

It doesnt help that most communist countries weren't hugely inclined to spread the revolution. The greatest exception I can think of is the USSR, and saying that is hugely controversial. A better example I think is the army of North Vietnam, where their army did indeed spread the revolution to the imperialist backed capitalist states surrounding it. Cuba attempted similar things in Africa and South America iirc but I dont think that went so well. This is all to say, it is possible and thus a communist state should build up a strong military, both as a matter of practicality and moral imperative.

was Vtheyoshi on (S)ONM. V I was, V I remain
sig made by the venerable Krik
Jenuall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall

by Jenuall » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:50 am

KK wrote:
Tomous wrote:

It's just mindboggling the amount of corruption that the seem to just get away with now.

Stugene
Member ♥
Joined in 2011
AKA: Handsome Man Stugene

by Stugene » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:50 pm

VlaSoul wrote:
Trelliz wrote:

Japan's military is purely a defense force. I'm sorry you think otherwise, but you're ultimately entirely wrong.

Taint
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:55 pm

Stugene wrote:
VlaSoul wrote:
Trelliz wrote:

Japan's military is purely a defense force. I'm sorry you think otherwise, but you're ultimately entirely wrong.

That's not true. They sent have sent troops abroad for peacekeeping missions. They also sent troops to Afghanistan.

Stugene
Member ♥
Joined in 2011
AKA: Handsome Man Stugene

by Stugene » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:57 pm

Moggy wrote:
Stugene wrote:
VlaSoul wrote:
Trelliz wrote:

That's not true. They sent have sent troops abroad for peacekeeping missions. They also sent troops to Afghanistan.

Peacekeeping missions and NATO commitments don't negate their self-defence status

Taint
Jenuall
Joined in 2008

by Jenuall » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:00 pm

Stugene wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Stugene wrote:
VlaSoul wrote:
Trelliz wrote:

Peacekeeping missions and NATO commitments don't negate their self-defence status

Article 9 of the post war constitution states: "the Japanese people forever renounce war as a sovereign right of the nation and the threat or use of force as means of settling international disputes" - sending troops abroad would seem to go against that last part?

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:00 pm

Stugene wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Stugene wrote:
VlaSoul wrote:
Trelliz wrote:

No, but it also means they are not "purely a defence force"

Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008

by Green Gecko » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:00 pm

It is right though that the US etc are thinking of providing military support to deter China from Taiwan and activity in airspace around that area by Chinese forces? And also the North Korean missile tests landing in near or in territorial waters south of Japan. So it would seem the US does want to support more non domestic ie foreign/overseas military action that's so often a preface for preemptive and often profitable wars. I'm cool with Japan sticking to whatever its doing, as I have family there.

It's still defense, but I wonder if it will escalate if China does decide to "invade" Taiwan, which China doesn't recognise and considers part of China anyway.

"It should be common sense to just accept the message Nintendo are sending out through their actions."

❤ btw GRcade costs money and depends on donations - please support one of the UK's oldest video gaming forums → HOW TO DONATE
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:01 pm

Jenuall wrote:
Stugene wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Stugene wrote:
VlaSoul wrote:
Trelliz wrote:

Article 9 of the post war constitution states: "the Japanese people forever renounce war as a sovereign right of the nation and the threat or use of force as means of settling international disputes" - sending troops abroad would seem to go against that last part?

They changed it in 2015.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-34287362

Jenuall
Joined in 2008

by Jenuall » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:04 pm

Moggy wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
Stugene wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Stugene wrote:
VlaSoul wrote:
Trelliz wrote:

They changed it in 2015.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-34287362

Looks like a fight broke out in the parliament over the decision - they can't be trusted, give them a hint of military freedom and they start a ruckus! :lol:

Return to “Stuff”