The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Rubix
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Star Wars Thread v2 - *NO SPOILERS*
by Rubix » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:48 pm

Hate to go 180 on myself but after episode 5 I’m going to say that was the best episode by far! Took an episode without Boba in and Mando back to achieve greatness

The attention to detail when Mando goes round the pod racing section and you can see the debris where Anakin hit the barrier has to be commended

PLAY | Persona 3 Reloaded [3h]
WATCH | Ted Lasso S3, HiJack S1, Red Dwarf S4, Dexter S2
RACE | Chew Valley 10k (June), GNR (Sept), Cardiff Half (Oct)
Robbo-92
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92

by Robbo-92 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:53 pm

Yeah episode 5 really was great :wub:

Alvin Flummux
Joined in 2008

by Alvin Flummux » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:06 am

Rubix wrote:Has the Star Wars universe really benefited from this season? No, not really.

People can finally shut up about wondering what Boba Fett's been up to. I say that's a pretty good win.

Rubix wrote:The attention to detail when Mando goes round the pod racing section and you can see the debris where Anakin hit the barrier has to be commended

41-ish years and nobody cleaned up that mess. :slol:

Cheeky Devlin
Joined in 2008

by Cheeky Devlin » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:53 am

This weeks episode was easily the best, but it only served to show the gulf in quality between this and The Mandalorian. Thought the mechanic woman was trying too hard to be wacky though and it grated a little bit. Don't remember her being that annoying in Mandalorian..

There's really not been much meat on the bones of this show has there. More like "The Pamphlet of Boba Fett" than a Book.

Alvin Flummux
Joined in 2008

by Alvin Flummux » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:36 am

What do you want?

We got Boba's history for the intervening years between RotJ and Mando, learning how he changed from cutthroat young bounty hunter to more mature would-be crime lord.

We got more Tusken culture and lore, the questionable-at-best off-screen murder of the Tuskens for the sake of Boba's development (whoever wrote that in, strawberry float you), albeit with a very satisfying massacre of the villainous swoop gang, and cute scenes with the Bantha.

We got the opening acts in Boba's journey to become the Daim Bar of Tatooine, including some great action inside Bib's Palace, not to mention the first new live action flashbacks of Kamino and Geonosis (hope there's a season 2 where they take over for the Tusken years set) since the Prequels released.

We also got the first released scenes of Luke's Tosche Station buddies, in the scene where Boba brutalizes that swoop gang in the bar. That's some deep cut referencing.

We got live action Pykes, albeit less cool ("de-yassified") than in the cartoons, great chase scenes, Godfatherly dinner scenes with the various ruling groups of Mos Espa, a much better look at Mos Espa itself, and local body modding youth counter culture.

They gave us live action Black Krrsantan and a whole ass friggin Rancor (of which Danny Trejo is the trainer), not to mention some Rancor lore. Also, material for the Jawa Rule 34 content community, wherever on the Internet they lurk.

And we got Din Djarin and a great new BD buddy (wait, does BD stand for Buddy?!) converting a Space 1960 Buick LeSabre into a Space 1970 Dodge Challenger, with new Mandalorian lore, Darksaber combat, the first scenes of the Purge of Mandalore, not to mention the Boonta Eve Pod Race track, Beggar's Canyon, Appa the X-Wing pilot, and all that jazz.

We've been fed well this season.

All that from five episodes.

Next up is Dave Filoni's episode, which should prove interesting (Grogu visit at Luke's temple, maybe? Young Ben Solo cameo?), then Robert Rodriguez closes out the season IIRC.

Rubix
Joined in 2008

by Rubix » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:07 am

Alvin Flummux wrote:What do you want?

Something worth watching

Rex Kramer
Joined in 2008

by Rex Kramer » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:12 am

A story that actual goes somewhere other than ticking off a bunch of things we either already knew or had inferred from other things. Before seeing Rogue One, I couldn't see why we needed those plot holes filling in but it brought more to the table and made it a really worthwhile watch. This does nothing aside fill a bit of a gap before S3 of Mando. Maybe it'll do something interesting in the last 2 episodes but it doesn't feel like it has the time, particularly if ep 6 is going to be more Mando going to find Grogu.

Alvin Flummux
Joined in 2008

by Alvin Flummux » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:30 am

Rubix wrote:

Something worth watching

It is. :roll:

Rex Kramer wrote:

A story that actual goes somewhere other than ticking off a bunch of things we either already knew or had inferred from other things. Before seeing Rogue One, I couldn't see why we needed those plot holes filling in but it brought more to the table and made it a really worthwhile watch. This does nothing aside fill a bit of a gap before S3 of Mando. Maybe it'll do something interesting in the last 2 episodes but it doesn't feel like it has the time, particularly if ep 6 is going to be more Mando going to find Grogu.

First off, Star Wars shows always start off only okay and get better with time as they find their feet. The show is going somewhere, but as a serialized narrative, it's going to be hard to judge it before it gets there.

Rogue One is a movie where all the plot and development has to be condensed into two hours of screen time, this is a TV show where the story can unfurl and develop over many times more screen time than any movie is allowed, it's going to take its time about it, like any show should.

Why can't you just enjoy it for what it is? It's fun, interesting, entertaining.

Rubix
Joined in 2008

by Rubix » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:55 am

Episodes 1 and 3 were poor, 2 and 4 were average but a big improvement over 1 and 3. Only episode that has grabbed and held my attention was ep5

Rex Kramer
Joined in 2008

by Rex Kramer » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:57 am

Rubix wrote:Episodes 1 and 3 were poor, 2 and 4 were average but a big improvement over 1 and 3. Only episode that has grabbed and held my attention was ep5

I can't quite tell if you're talking about Boba Fett or the actual movies. ;)

Rubix
Joined in 2008

by Rubix » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:59 am

Rex Kramer wrote:
Rubix wrote:Episodes 1 and 3 were poor, 2 and 4 were average but a big improvement over 1 and 3. Only episode that has grabbed and held my attention was ep5

I can't quite tell if you're talking about Boba Fett or the actual movies. ;)

:lol: pretty much applicable to both

Nibble
Joined in 2008

by Nibble » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:22 pm

Alvin Flummux wrote:Why can't you just enjoy it for what it is? It's fun, interesting, entertaining.

Why can't you just accept that not everyone feels this way about the show. You love it? Great, bully for you, but the constant attempt to invalidate anyone else's opinions that are anything other than glowing is a little unnecessary.

Frank
Joined in 2009

by Frank » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:48 pm

Alvin Flummux wrote:Rogue One is a movie where all the plot and development has to be condensed into two hours of screen time

tbf Rogue One is a weird film because it spends all this time setting up the squad to literally murder the whole lot of them before the end, so it doesn't really matter who they were.

It's still a decent film, but there's a lot of wasted time in there trying to set up characters who never appear again throughout the franchise :slol: The Maple films Battle of Scarif cut is pretty much all you need to see of it

Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

by Qikz » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:59 pm

Frank wrote:
Alvin Flummux wrote:Rogue One is a movie where all the plot and development has to be condensed into two hours of screen time

tbf Rogue One is a weird film because it spends all this time setting up the squad to literally murder the whole lot of them before the end, so it doesn't really matter who they were.

It's still a decent film, but there's a lot of wasted time in there trying to set up characters who never appear again throughout the franchise :slol: The Maple films Battle of Scarif cut is pretty much all you need to see of it

Rogue One is my favourite Star Wars film outside of the first 3. So good.

The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
Edd
Joined in 2015

by Edd » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:27 pm

Thought Bryce Dallas Howard did a great job directing the latest episode. The writing etc help I guess but I think she directs Star Wars much better than Robert Rodriguez.

Alvin Flummux
Joined in 2008

by Alvin Flummux » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:12 pm

Nibble wrote:
Alvin Flummux wrote:Why can't you just enjoy it for what it is? It's fun, interesting, entertaining.

Why can't you just accept that not everyone feels this way about the show. You love it? Great, bully for you, but the constant attempt to invalidate anyone else's opinions that are anything other than glowing is a little unnecessary.

Just trying to foster some more appreciation of the show, since anything new in Star Wars gets hit by avalanches of hate from all sides no matter what (some justified, some not), but I suppose I've probably been going about it ham-handedly and over-zealously, and need to rein myself in. Sorry for that.

I'm more irritated at this last episode of BoBF than I would like to admit, because as amazing as it was, and as great as Bryce Dallas Howard is, it would've been great if she had applied her talents to Boba Fett in some way.

Frank wrote:

I really like Rogue One, but, it is bittersweet, because of the reasons you state. The books (Catalyst, Rebel Rising) add some backstory for anyone interested, but they only cover the Erso family. Andor, coming I think later this year, should build on most of the rest, and, if it's anything like the Clone Wars, should add a lot to the Rogue One experience.

Robbo-92
Joined in 2018

by Robbo-92 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:37 pm

Until episodes 4 and 5 I’ve found it good but not exactly great, I enjoyed getting to know the Tuskan’s and their culture but then they did the typical TV trope can and killed them off, episode 4 and 5 I’ve really enjoyed but I wonder how the last couple of episodes will go, will we have more flashbacks? Or will we finally get a couple of episodes that are completely in the present? I’d prefer it if the last couple of episodes were in the present so they can advance the story at a slightly quicker pace, it’s felt really slow on that front so far to me.

Alvin Flummux
Joined in 2008

by Alvin Flummux » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:45 pm

Robbo-92 wrote:Until episodes 4 and 5 I’ve found it good but not exactly great, I enjoyed getting to know the Tuskan’s and their culture but then they did the typical TV trope can and killed them off, episode 4 and 5 I’ve really enjoyed but I wonder how the last couple of episodes will go, will we have more flashbacks? Or will we finally get a couple of episodes that are completely in the present? I’d prefer it if the last couple of episodes were in the present so they can advance the story at a slightly quicker pace, it’s felt really slow on that front so far to me.

You're in luck, I don't think we're getting anymore flashbacks, as Boba's bacta treatments are complete and the flashbacks only occurred in the context of his being in the bacta pod.

Robbo-92
Joined in 2018

by Robbo-92 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:49 pm

Alvin Flummux wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:Until episodes 4 and 5 I’ve found it good but not exactly great, I enjoyed getting to know the Tuskan’s and their culture but then they did the typical TV trope can and killed them off, episode 4 and 5 I’ve really enjoyed but I wonder how the last couple of episodes will go, will we have more flashbacks? Or will we finally get a couple of episodes that are completely in the present? I’d prefer it if the last couple of episodes were in the present so they can advance the story at a slightly quicker pace, it’s felt really slow on that front so far to me.

You're in luck, I don't think we're getting anymore flashbacks, as Boba's bacta treatments are complete and the flashbacks only occurred in the context of his being in the bacta pod.

Hopefully you’re right!

Alvin Flummux
Joined in 2008

by Alvin Flummux » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:54 pm

Impressive work on the new episode I was just alerted to: Din's bounty delivery scene was a single continuous shot. That's really hard to pull off.

Robbo-92 wrote:Hopefully you’re right!

I could see them ending the series on a flashback, like if they're doing a second season and want to illuminate another part of his earlier life and career the same way next time, maybe to introduce a new character. It'd be a cool way to make use of the new young Boba actor.

Last edited by Alvin Flummux on Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Stuff”