Last TV series you watched and your rating.

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
jawa_
Member
Joined in 2021

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by jawa_ » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:39 pm

I'm watching Keep Sweet: Pray and Obey (Netflix). Man, it's a tough view. It's a documentary about a true story of a religious cult in America; with people living completely to the will of a dictator ("prophet").

It's utterly shocking. I find myself thinking about how people could go along with it; but, if you were born into that situation with no other experiences or paths of learning, how would one know that things aren't right?

I've finished three programmes with one to go. I'm going to steel myself and get through it, as I think it's good to know what kind of situations can occur and what some folk have gone through.

User avatar
RetroCora
Member
Joined in 2022

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by RetroCora » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:14 am

Probably not the right place for this but I just watched Herogasm(The Boys s3e6). Tamer in some respects than I thought it would be, but with a really strong underlying plot. I hate where they're going with Hughie, and desperately want Kimiko and Frenchie to be happy but I've read the comics and know what'll happen. Excited and terrified to see where they go with the rest of this season, and season 4. Mad that they seem to have killed off A-Train too.

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Rex Kramer » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:34 pm

Stranger Things Season 4 Part 1 - It's good but jesus christ is it way, way, way too long (no context). You can see where all the money has been spent, I'm just not sure they should have.

User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Dual » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:06 pm

Rex Kramer wrote:Stranger Things Season 4 Part 1 - It's good but jesus christ is it way, way, way too long (no context). You can see where all the money has been spent, I'm just not sure they should have.


All the stuff in Russia? So boring

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Rex Kramer » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:24 pm

Dual wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:Stranger Things Season 4 Part 1 - It's good but jesus christ is it way, way, way too long (no context). You can see where all the money has been spent, I'm just not sure they should have.


All the stuff in Russia? So boring

All of it, there isn't a story thread that wouldn't benefit from some editing.

User avatar
Albear
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Albear » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:50 pm

We only watched Episode 1 last night, and Whilst it had it's moments, it was very drawn out. Not sure why they have gone for these length of episodes.

RetroCora wrote:Probably not the right place for this but I just watched Herogasm(The Boys s3e6). Tamer in some respects than I thought it would be

Why do you say that? Have you heard it's extra grim?

User avatar
Nibble
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Big Tuna

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Nibble » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:52 pm

Euphoria S2 - 7/10

A bit of a step down from season one but still highly entertaining if even more ridiculous in parts.


Obi-Wan Kenobi - 4/10

There were a few nice moments in this show but it's definitely below average fare for me.

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Hexx » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:39 am

Umbrella Academy Season 3 8/10

The weakest storyline (with wierd coninkydinks and convergences) of the 3 but can't find it in myself to c. I just really like being in this odd little world they've made with the engaging characters.

Lovely absurdist fun. Only thing I didn't get on with much was Alison in the series. I not sure whether we were meant sympathise, but I found the character a chore here.

It better bloody get a season 4 with that ending

So Reg's entire plan this whole time is to was to reboot the universe so his wife didn't die?

Are we meant to assume S1 Reg purposefully put things into motion or was it lucky? Or unknown just yet.

I'm assuming post credits Ben is Original Ben. Which means both Bens are now there...so why wasn't Sloane...mysterious!

User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Cuttooth » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:08 pm

Hexx wrote:Umbrella Academy Season 3 8/10

The weakest storyline (with wierd coninkydinks and convergences) of the 3 but can't find it in myself to c. I just really like being in this odd little world they've made with the engaging characters.

Lovely absurdist fun. Only thing I didn't get on with much was Alison in the series. I not sure whether we were meant sympathise, but I found the character a chore here.

It better bloody get a season 4 with that ending

So Reg's entire plan this whole time is to was to reboot the universe so his wife didn't die?

Are we meant to assume S1 Reg purposefully put things into motion or was it lucky? Or unknown just yet.

I'm assuming post credits Ben is Original Ben. Which means both Bens are now there...so why wasn't Sloane...mysterious!

I thought it was quite underwhelming and it was increasingly annoying how much of the drama was generated by all the characters simply not sharing information with one another. Season two was the real high point and this is now missing something for me.

I have a feeling Alison is in her version of heaven rather than being part of this universe reboot. I don't think Reginald had this plan in mind for 100 years just to save his wife as it wouldn't really matter to keep her body cryogenically frozen on the moon but I suppose anything is possible at this point.

Do you know if this show has generally stuck with the comic book series and if there are any potential clues to how a potential S4 might play out?

User avatar
Ploiper
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Ploiper » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:31 pm

watched the new Iron Chef series on netflix, would give it a good 8/10, i likes iron chef.

:toot: :toot: :toot:
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Hexx » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:39 am

Cuttooth wrote:
Hexx wrote:Umbrella Academy Season 3 8/10

The weakest storyline (with wierd coninkydinks and convergences) of the 3 but can't find it in myself to c. I just really like being in this odd little world they've made with the engaging characters.

Lovely absurdist fun. Only thing I didn't get on with much was Alison in the series. I not sure whether we were meant sympathise, but I found the character a chore here.

It better bloody get a season 4 with that ending

So Reg's entire plan this whole time is to was to reboot the universe so his wife didn't die?

Are we meant to assume S1 Reg purposefully put things into motion or was it lucky? Or unknown just yet.

I'm assuming post credits Ben is Original Ben. Which means both Bens are now there...so why wasn't Sloane...mysterious!

I thought it was quite underwhelming and it was increasingly annoying how much of the drama was generated by all the characters simply not sharing information with one another. Season two was the real high point and this is now missing something for me.

I have a feeling Alison is in her version of heaven rather than being part of this universe reboot. I don't think Reginald had this plan in mind for 100 years just to save his wife as it wouldn't really matter to keep her body cryogenically frozen on the moon but I suppose anything is possible at this point.

Do you know if this show has generally stuck with the comic book series and if there are any potential clues to how a potential S4 might play out?


It's miles off. e.g.
Hotel Obsidian in the comics from what I recall is an extra dimensional prison built by Reg to house the villians the Umbella's have stopped. The whole system built by precursors to reboot universe is entirely within the show

And even with it being "miles off" we've reached the end of comics material.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009
Location: The Lands Between

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Preezy » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:25 pm

RetroCora wrote:Probably not the right place for this but I just watched Herogasm(The Boys s3e6). Tamer in some respects than I thought it would be, but with a really strong underlying plot. I hate where they're going with Hughie, and desperately want Kimiko and Frenchie to be happy but I've read the comics and know what'll happen. Excited and terrified to see where they go with the rest of this season, and season 4. Mad that they seem to have killed off A-Train too.

I think with Hughie they'd kinda taken his meek and whiny character as far as they could without him becoming stale, this gives the character (and the actor!) something new to work with and have a bit of fun playing with the positives and negatives of being able to become a super, albeit temporarily and at great cost.

Image Image
Image
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Hexx » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:59 pm

Plus he gets his kit off a lot more now :wub:

(yes I'm shallow as a small puddle and I don't care)

User avatar
RetroCora
Member
Joined in 2022

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by RetroCora » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:15 pm

Albear wrote:We only watched Episode 1 last night, and Whilst it had it's moments, it was very drawn out. Not sure why they have gone for these length of episodes.

RetroCora wrote:Probably not the right place for this but I just watched Herogasm(The Boys s3e6). Tamer in some respects than I thought it would be

Why do you say that? Have you heard it's extra grim?


The cast were on a real PR campaign in the week leading up to it saying how nasty it was gonna be, then there was a content warning at the beginning of the episode.

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Hexx » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:27 pm

RetroCora wrote:
Albear wrote:We only watched Episode 1 last night, and Whilst it had it's moments, it was very drawn out. Not sure why they have gone for these length of episodes.

RetroCora wrote:Probably not the right place for this but I just watched Herogasm(The Boys s3e6). Tamer in some respects than I thought it would be

Why do you say that? Have you heard it's extra grim?


The cast were on a real PR campaign in the week leading up to it saying how nasty it was gonna be, then there was a content warning at the beginning of the episode.


The miniseries comic Herogasmer was graphic and nasty even for The Boys comics (which is much nastier and mean spirited than the TV show which is very much it's own thing). That's why it's a "thing".

That was edgey for TV, but it was very tame for the comics storyline

Comics spoilers

Annually Vought tell people that the heroes are off fighting Thanos in space or something
Instead all the heroes (and a bunch of hookers...who do not have great times) get to go to an Island paradise corporate retreat style and go full Hedonism Bot for their vacation

User avatar
mcjihge2
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by mcjihge2 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:47 pm

Cuttooth wrote:
Hexx wrote:Umbrella Academy Season 3 8/10

The weakest storyline (with wierd coninkydinks and convergences) of the 3 but can't find it in myself to c. I just really like being in this odd little world they've made with the engaging characters.

Lovely absurdist fun. Only thing I didn't get on with much was Alison in the series. I not sure whether we were meant sympathise, but I found the character a chore here.

It better bloody get a season 4 with that ending

So Reg's entire plan this whole time is to was to reboot the universe so his wife didn't die?

Are we meant to assume S1 Reg purposefully put things into motion or was it lucky? Or unknown just yet.

I'm assuming post credits Ben is Original Ben. Which means both Bens are now there...so why wasn't Sloane...mysterious!

I thought it was quite underwhelming and it was increasingly annoying how much of the drama was generated by all the characters simply not sharing information with one another. Season two was the real high point and this is now missing something for me.

I have a feeling Alison is in her version of heaven rather than being part of this universe reboot. I don't think Reginald had this plan in mind for 100 years just to save his wife as it wouldn't really matter to keep her body cryogenically frozen on the moon but I suppose anything is possible at this point.

Do you know if this show has generally stuck with the comic book series and if there are any potential clues to how a potential S4 might play out?


I agree with an 8/10 score. I enjoyed it. But also agree that alot of the problems could have been avoided by a bit of communication. 10 episodes that could have been told in 6, but there didnt seem like much filler - Although it does have a cracking sound track. There is a good established ensemble cast now and I think 5 and Claus are good characters played by good actors. Theres still alot of loose ends to still unpack so hopefully there will be a S4.

Xbox Live: GCE
User avatar
Fatal Exception
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Racist chinese lover
Location: ಠ_ಠ

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Fatal Exception » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:42 pm

Vikings.... 6/10 for the final season. With no good characters left it just stumbled around for a bit and tried to cram in some character development with the shite that was left. It should have ended with Bjorn's last scene. And the Rus sucked.

The above post, unless specifically stated to the contrary, should not be taken seriously. If the above post has offended you in any way, please fill in this form and return it to your nearest moderator.
Image
User avatar
Outrunner
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Outrunner » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:54 pm

I've just finished the second half of Stranger Things Season 3. It didn't really change my opinion. It was fine but I wouldn't have seen it through if I'd just been watching it on my own. Off the back of this I'm going to jump ship from the series. I can see why people would like it but it's just not striking a chord with me.

User avatar
Zilnad
Member
Joined in 2019

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Zilnad » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:58 pm

The Clone Wars 2

Overall better than season one with some great story arcs involving the Mandalorians and Boba Fett vs Mace Windy. Looking forward to season three.

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Peter Crisp » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:25 pm

Zilnad wrote:The Clone Wars 2

Overall better than season one with some great story arcs involving the Mandalorians and Boba Fett vs Mace Windy. Looking forward to season three.


That must be a super cheap series to make as they just need 1 actor.

Vermilion wrote:I'd rather live in Luton.

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: abcd, BTB, Chocolate-Milk, Cuttooth, KK, more heat than light, poshrule_uk, shy guy 64, Tsunade, Xeno and 73 guests