Politics Thread 6

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Who will you vote for at the next General Election?

Conservative
10%
Labour
41%
Liberal Democrat
18%
Green
14%
SNP
10%
Brexit Party
3%
UKIP
1%
Plaid Cymru
2%
DUP
1%
Sinn Fein
1%
The Independent Group for Change
No votes

Total votes: 158
Hexx
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 6
by Hexx » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:00 pm

Cuttooth wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:
Cuttooth wrote:
Hexx wrote:
Cuttooth wrote:
captain red dog wrote:I don't trust Johnson at all. He will use this time to announce some popular policy, and unless the 1922 vote no confidence, I could see him putting himself forward for the contest.

He can't stand in the contest.

Why?

Tory election rules:

"A Leader resigning from the Leadership of the Party is not eligible for re-nomination in the consequent Leadership election."

Unless we're saying he's not actually resigned, or he goes back on his word, in which case the 1922 committee would just move at lightspeed to remove him via a confidence vote. Which he would lose by an even greater margin than one held right now.

What if he says he doesn't give a gooseberry fool about a private vote held by a bullshit committee because he has a duty to his 475 billion fans across the UK and the rest of the world?

If he doesn't have the confidence of his own party then Parliament would have to get rid of him. If he somehow refuses to go even then the Queen would sack him as long as there's someone who would have the backing of Parliament to take over.

Hexx wrote:
Cuttooth wrote:
Hexx wrote:
Cuttooth wrote:
captain red dog wrote:I don't trust Johnson at all. He will use this time to announce some popular policy, and unless the 1922 vote no confidence, I could see him putting himself forward for the contest.

He can't stand in the contest.

Why?

Tory election rules:

"A Leader resigning from the Leadership of the Party is not eligible for re-nomination in the consequent Leadership election."

Unless we're saying he's not actually resigned, or he goes back on his word, in which case the 1922 committee would just move at lightspeed to remove him via a confidence vote. Which he would lose by an even greater margin than one held right now.

Well he's not resigned :P
Plus he'll could easily ignore the rules as always and shout "14m mandate!" - will play into "stitch up"/"antiestablishment" credentials.

To me it would feel like the kind of plan that buys literally two minutes of time before everyone moves to immediately remove him. Would literally just make for about half an hour of fun TV on BBC News but nothing more than that.

And there's plenty of stuff in his history that says he'll fight for even 2 minutes.

Everything's done to benefit Johnson. The staying on as caretaker has a point - if not to try everything to fond a loophole/fight the herd etc, then what?

I'm still not exactly sure what happens next. He says he's staying. Others say he shouldn't. But short of a Vonc (Tory or House) they can't force him out can they?

Oblomov Boblomov
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

by Oblomov Boblomov » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:12 pm

I read earlier someone pondering that he might just be doing whatever he can now to ensure an entertaining end to his eventual book about it all.

Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Cuttooth » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:16 pm

Hexx wrote:Everything's done to benefit Johnson. The staying on as caretaker has a point - if not to try everything to fond a loophole/fight the herd etc, then what?

Found the reason!

twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1545045540244578304

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by Moggy » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:35 pm

Cuttooth wrote:
Hexx wrote:Everything's done to benefit Johnson. The staying on as caretaker has a point - if not to try everything to fond a loophole/fight the herd etc, then what?

Found the reason!

How is he not sick of parties yet?

captain red dog
Joined in 2008

by captain red dog » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:37 pm

That is absolutely unacceptable. I hope he is paying for the entire thing as I don't see why tax payers money should support his wedding party. Even paying to use Chequers as a wedding venue is a massive abuse of office in my opinion as its not open to anyone else.

I don't think a vonc would work now. The Tories are not going to vote for an election right now under any circumstances. They were scared stiff that Johnson would call one.

Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

by Lagamorph » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:37 pm

Starmer is wasting a golden opportunity here if he's waiting for the 1922 committee next week. He should be striking now on a no confidence vote, not giving the Tories time to get their house in order.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
Jenuall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall

by Jenuall » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:04 pm

Preezy wrote:
The Watching Artist wrote:Image

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gorrable
Joined in 2008

by Gorrable » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:19 pm

I wonder if the chief of Durham police feels like maximizing the chaos right now.

Games and Stuff.

If you can read this, you're too close.
Saint of Killers
Joined in 2008

by Saint of Killers » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:40 pm

No10 caught lying. Again.

1922 Committee chief never agreed that Boris Johnson could stay until October

The chairman of the 1922 committee did not agree that Boris Johnson can remain Prime Minister until October on Thursday morning, The Telegraph can reveal, despite suggestions to that effect from Downing Street figures.

Sir Graham Brady, who holds the 1922 post and talked to Mr Johnson around 8.30am today, only agreed that a new prime minister should be in place by October for the party’s conference.

It remains undecided when exactly Mr Johnson will hand over power to his successor now he is resigning. Under the timings Sir Graham discussed, that could happen sooner than October.

Control of when and how the Prime Minister hands over power is not just in Mr Johnson's hands. The senior figures on the 1922 Committee of backbenchers control the first part of the leadership contest - whittling down Tory MP candidates to a final two.

The second phase, which sees Tory Party members vote for the winning candidate - usually after weeks of leadership hustings - is controlled by the Tory Party board.

The new 1922 Committee’s executive is expected to agree the timetable for the first phase on Monday evening, after elections for those positions are held Monday afternoon.

The Telegraph understands it may be agreed to get Tory MPs to pick a final two candidates before Parliament breaks up for summer recess on July 21 - just three weeks away. Those decisions will be taken on Monday evening.

The final date for the Tory members' vote will be chosen by the Conservative Party board. The board is already depleted after Oliver Dowden quit as Tory chairman and Bim Afolami resigned as Tory vice-chairman in recent weeks.

It is possible that just a few weeks of leadership hustings would be agreed before a Tory members' vote, meaning Mr Johnson’s successor could be selected by late August or early September.

That would call into question whether Mr Johnson can stay in Downing Street until October.

All decisions on timings remain to be taken. But Sir Graham has not agreed Mr Johnson can stay as Prime Minister until October - despite suggestions to that effect from Downing Street figures.

The Tory Party’s annual conference is being held from October 2 to October 5 in Birmingham.

Number 10 figures are firefighting growing calls from Tory MPs that Mr Johnson quits today and a temporary prime minister steps in while the leadership race is run.

An ally of Mr Johnson told The Telegraph: "Hopefully the party gives him a tiny bit of space to help the country through the cost-of-living crisis. That is first and foremost on his mind.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/1 ... 650ea66810

rinks
Joined in 2008

by rinks » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:06 pm

ITV news talking about him like it’s a strawberry floating obituary.

Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

by Drumstick » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:12 pm

If only.

Check out my YouTube channel!
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image Image
Vermilion
Gnome Thief
Joined in 2018

by Vermilion » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:29 pm

Cuttooth wrote:

Found the reason!

You gotta fight for your right to party.

captain red dog
Joined in 2008

by captain red dog » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:12 pm

It's amazing that even after the last 48 hours alone, even the Conservative party are still like faithful cucks (to steal one of their right wing words) and want to give him a dignified exit.

The bloke couldn't give a gooseberry fool about them, the history of the party or Conservative values. Those are the things they care about as they sure as gooseberry fool don't give a strawberry float about the country. But good old Boris shat all over that and would have taken them to a snap election in spite if their junior ministers hadn't gone nuclear.

I managed to catch what James O Brien said about Rishi and Javid today. Seems he was like me yesterday, relieved that someone had finally made a stand, but it's clear in the cold light of day what their motives are. Good luck to them. They will need it. They've had the Blair knock off with Cameron, Johnson was a cult of personality. The rest are an even bigger charisma vacuum than May. With the cost of living set to slaughter them and the main runners and riders having no vision or concept of helping working people, they should rightly get slaughtered.

Xeno
Joined in 2008

by Xeno » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:22 pm

Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Cuttooth » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:10 pm

Cuttooth wrote:If he is ousted I'm looking forward to the Mail's front page, which will undoubtedly be:

At a time when Ukraine is at war, petrol prices are soaring, and a third thing that makes this paragraph of a headline really unweildy, 183 Conservative MPs that have chosen to remove Boris must ask themselves...

JUST WHAT HAVE THEY DONE?

twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1545151702612975618

I guess I was just a few weeks out!

Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:14 pm

Bravo Cuttooth :lol:

DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:24 pm

The Daily Mail is strawberry floating crazy.

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by Moggy » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:30 pm

Wednesday's Mail

KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:37 pm

I like to think that Dacre has spent the entire day miserable.

KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:41 pm

twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1545159205212004352

Damn, they’re splitting up already.

Return to “Stuff”