US Politics 3

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Lex-Man
Joined in 2008

PostRe: US Politics 3
by Lex-Man » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:39 am

I could see Russia knocking him off as he's not going to be very useful anymore and may know a bit about their operations in the US.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

by Preezy » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:41 am

PUT IT IN THE TEA!

Rex Kramer
Joined in 2008

by Rex Kramer » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:45 am

Alvin Flummux wrote:
Captain Kinopio wrote:If he wants to reduce the heat (he doesn't) I think the best thing he can do at this point is just go ahead and die.

Can you imagine the explosion of conspiracy theories that would result? The instant deification of the man by the fascists, the violence, the riots? No way they don't take it and try to turn it into the spark that blows the country up.

I'd imagine we're getting that anyway if he doesn't make the Republican nomination.

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by Moggy » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:48 am

Trump in power = conspiracy theories
Trump out of power = conspiracy theories
Trump in jail = conspiracy theories
Trump not in jail = conspiracy theories
Trump dead = conspiracy theories
Trump alive = conspiracy theories

Lex-Man
Joined in 2008

by Lex-Man » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:38 am

Rex Kramer wrote:
Alvin Flummux wrote:
Captain Kinopio wrote:If he wants to reduce the heat (he doesn't) I think the best thing he can do at this point is just go ahead and die.

Can you imagine the explosion of conspiracy theories that would result? The instant deification of the man by the fascists, the violence, the riots? No way they don't take it and try to turn it into the spark that blows the country up.

I'd imagine we're getting that anyway if he doesn't make the Republican nomination.

Squinty
Joined in 2009

by Squinty » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:22 am

Feels like this is the prelude to some pretty horrible gooseberry fool going down. I mean January 6th but worse.

Lex-Man
Joined in 2008

by Lex-Man » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:25 am

Squinty wrote:Feels like this is the prelude to some pretty horrible gooseberry fool going down. I mean January 6th but worse.

I feel we're in a very 50 50 place with the US. Either Trump will go to prison and it'll all simmer down or the gooseberry fool will hit the fan.

That said they've already got Trump out of power.

Afrocat
Joined in 2008

by Afrocat » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:48 am

Squinty wrote:Feels like this is the prelude to some pretty horrible gooseberry fool going down. I mean January 6th but worse.

Yeah, considering they've already had two incidents of individuals killing themselves in an attempt to save Trump. Once they inevitably get organised gooseberry fool could get pretty scary. I don't see any way to de-escalate from here though without giving them everything they want. It's going to be rough.

Knoyleo
Joined in 2008

by Knoyleo » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:17 pm

twitter.com/carolrosenberg/status/1558998625375723520

pjbetman wrote:That's the stupidest thing ive ever read on here i think.
speedboatchase
Joined in 2008

by speedboatchase » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:52 pm

Knoyleo wrote:

Easily the worst Oasis album tbf

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:05 pm

speedboatchase wrote:
Knoyleo wrote:

In Abu Ghraib they had to use these:

Alvin Flummux
Joined in 2008

by Alvin Flummux » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:17 pm

Afrocat wrote:

Yeah, considering they've already had two incidents of individuals killing themselves in an attempt to save Trump. Once they inevitably get organised gooseberry fool could get pretty scary. I don't see any way to de-escalate from here though without giving them everything they want. It's going to be rough.

I wouldn't be surprised if escalation looks a lot like the Years of Lead that Italy endured. Certainly it's going to be a bad time.

RetroCora
Joined in 2022

by RetroCora » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:34 pm

Moggy wrote:
speedboatchase wrote:
Knoyleo wrote:

In Abu Ghraib they had to use these:

They drank so much they were going blind and were brain dead, virtually.

Xeno
Joined in 2008

by Xeno » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:56 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/15/us/g ... trump.html

Giuliani Is Told He Is a Target of Trump Election Inquiry in Georgia

Rudolph W. Giuliani, as former President Donald J. Trump’s personal lawyer, spearheaded efforts to keep Mr. Trump in power.

ATLANTA — Lawyers for Rudolph W. Giuliani have been told that he is a target of a criminal investigation in Georgia into election interference by Donald J. Trump and his advisers.

One of Mr. Giuliani’s lawyers said in an interview that he was notified on Monday. On the same day, a federal judge rejected efforts by another key Trump ally, Senator Lindsey Graham, to avoid giving testimony before a special grand jury in Atlanta.

Mr. Giuliani, who as Mr. Trump’s personal lawyer spearheaded efforts to keep Mr. Trump in power, emerged in recent weeks as a central figure in the inquiry being conducted by Fani T. Willis, the district attorney of Fulton County, Ga., which encompasses most of Atlanta.

Earlier this summer, prosecutors questioned witnesses before the special grand jury about Mr. Giuliani’s appearances before state legislative panels in December 2020, when he spent hours peddling false conspiracy theories about secret suitcases of Democratic ballots and corrupted voting machines.

For Mr. Giuliani, the former mayor of New York, the developments are the latest in a widening swath of trouble, though he got some good news recently when it emerged that he was unlikely to face charges in a federal criminal inquiry into his ties to Ukraine during the 2020 presidential campaign.

Mr. Giuliani is scheduled to appear before the special grand jury on Wednesday at a downtown Atlanta courthouse. His lawyer, Robert Costello, said in the interview that Mr. Giuliani would probably invoke attorney-client privilege if asked questions about his dealings with Mr. Trump. “If these people think he’s going to talk about conversations between him and President Trump, they’re delusional,” Mr. Costello said.

Oh dear.

FAFO

Lex-Man
Joined in 2008

by Lex-Man » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:31 pm

speedboatchase wrote:
Knoyleo wrote:

Heathen Chemistry and Standing on the shoulder of giants are worse.

Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Garth » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:07 pm

twitter.com/samstein/status/1559284696961490945

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:24 pm

Why did he have more than one passport?

Squinty
Joined in 2009

by Squinty » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:50 pm

He had three taken from him. One of them was out of date.

I assume one is American, I think his mother's side is partly British, so maybe the other one is a British passport?

It can be pretty normal. I applied for my second one recently. But that's more the fact that I'm entitled to apply for an Irish one, and it has benefits over the British one that I have currently.

Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:43 am

He's definitely a flight risk.

Genuinely wouldn't be surprised if he flees to Russia at this point.

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:42 am

Squinty wrote:He had three taken from him. One of them was out of date.

I assume one is American, I think his mother's side is partly British, so maybe the other one is a British passport?

It can be pretty normal. I applied for my second one recently. But that's more the fact that I'm entitled to apply for an Irish one, and it has benefits over the British one that I have currently.

I'm a dual citizen (UK and Ireland), so I'm aware of that.

I forgot Trump's mum was British. With all his bullshit about Obama's nationality, it'd be just like Trump to not be "fully" American.

Return to “Stuff”