Politics Thread 7: Dishy Rishi's Cabinet of Horrors

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Who will you vote for at the next General Election?

Conservatives
7%
Labour
57%
SNP
6%
Lib Dems
9%
DUP
1%
Sinn Fein
No votes
Plaid Cymru
2%
SDLP
No votes
Alba
No votes
Greens
15%
Alliance
No votes
Other
3%

Total votes: 115
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Politics Thread 7: Dishy Rishi's Cabinet of Horrors
by Moggy » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:21 am

Ryanair Holdings Plc Chief Executive Officer Michael O’Leary weighed into the UK’s controversial plan to deport refugees to Rwanda, saying he would “happily” do the flights if he had the available aircraft.

“If it was the winter schedule and we had spare aircraft sitting around and if the government were looking for additional deportation flights or any other flights, we would happily quote for the business,” O’Leary said in an interview in London.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ckout=true

With the way Ryanair operate, the refugees would end up nowhere near Rwanda.

Return_of_the_STAR
Joined in 2008

by Return_of_the_STAR » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:25 am

Moggy wrote:
Ryanair Holdings Plc Chief Executive Officer Michael O’Leary weighed into the UK’s controversial plan to deport refugees to Rwanda, saying he would “happily” do the flights if he had the available aircraft.

“If it was the winter schedule and we had spare aircraft sitting around and if the government were looking for additional deportation flights or any other flights, we would happily quote for the business,” O’Leary said in an interview in London.

Couldn’t they just drop them off in Congo?

Shoe Army
Oblomov Boblomov
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

by Oblomov Boblomov » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:47 am

That Question Time exchange, my god :lol: that's the sort of blunder you look back on for the rest of your life and cringe yourself half to death each time.

Can't help but assume Yousaf is strawberry floated – no credible way back from here.

Labour really should be on for a monster of a majority from here. Things seem to be getting better for them and worse for their opponents every single day. I know some people in here are convinced Starmer will be toast before too long after the election, but I simply can't see it. I can quite easily instead see a decade of him as PM, before handing over to a female successor to fight the 2034 GE.

Hexx
Joined in 2008

by Hexx » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:51 am

rinks wrote:Wes Streeting's reaction was pretty amusing too.

Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Garth » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:58 am

The Scottish Labour Party has upped the ante and tabled a motion of no confidence in the entire Scottish government.

The party leader Anas Sarwar says removing First Minister Humza Yousaf alone will not be enough.

He says: “We need to get rid of the entire SNP government which has left almost 1 in 6 Scots on an NHS waiting list, public finances in chaos and public services at breaking point.

“The people of Scotland deserve a fresh start – this can only come with a Scottish election.”

Motions of no confidence require the signatures of at least 25 MSPs to be debated.

The Conservative motion regarding Humza Yousaf has already met that threshold and is set to be debated on either Wednesday or Thursday next week.

That vote is not legally binding, though privately government advisers acknowledge it would be politically untenable to carry on having lost such the backing of parliament.

However, a motion of no confidence in the government is legally binding. And a simple majority of votes in favour of it would be enough to bring the government down.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/cy635006p1pt

jimbojango
Joined in 2008

by jimbojango » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:00 am

Moggy wrote:

The ECHR has been clear that Ryanair flights are a form of torture, and definitely a breach of human rights.

rinks
Joined in 2008

by rinks » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:12 am

Hexx wrote:
rinks wrote:Wes Streeting's reaction was pretty amusing too.

Haha, pure theatre, but you're going to make the most of an opportunity like that.

Grumpy David
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

by Grumpy David » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:23 am

The Wes Streeting reaction GIF is wonderfully expressive. :lol:

All seems to be moving very fast in Scotland, maybe Yousaf will step down before the vote later this afternoon since he's reliant on Ash Regan's support to remain but that support won't come cheap.

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Labour really should be on for a monster of a majority from here. Things seem to be getting better for them and worse for their opponents every single day. I know some people in here are convinced Starmer will be toast before too long after the election, but I simply can't see it. I can quite easily instead see a decade of him as PM, before handing over to a female successor to fight the 2034 GE.

Whilst I'm confident Starmer's going to have a long time in Number 10 (don't see the tories being forgiven by the time of the next election later this decade) it does seem like there's not a lot of people with high hopes:

twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1782786827537064263

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:39 am

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Labour really should be on for a monster of a majority from here. Things seem to be getting better for them and worse for their opponents every single day.

The Tories are behind Labour even amongst Sun, Telegraph and Express readers.

The Tories are utterly strawberry floated.

Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Garth » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:39 am

Humza Yousaf not about to announce resignation, BBC understands

Scotland’s First Minister Humza Yousaf is preparing to give a speech in Dundee setting out the sort of action he can now take as leader of a minority government having ditched the Greens.

The BBC understands the SNP leader, who lives near Dundee, will not be announcing his resignation despite a Conservative confidence vote in his leadership of the Scottish government likely to be scheduled at Holyrood next week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/cy63500 ... 99d98#post

jimbojango
Joined in 2008

by jimbojango » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:56 am

Garth wrote:

Scotland’s First Minister Humza Yousaf is preparing to give a speech in Dundee setting out the sort of action he can now take as leader of a minority government having ditched the Greens.

The BBC understands the SNP leader, who lives near Dundee, will not be announcing his resignation despite a Conservative confidence vote in his leadership of the Scottish government likely to be scheduled at Holyrood next week.

I’m in Dundee - should I go down and be the GRcade on site correspondent? What questions do you want me to put to him, what is his stance on cupboard bins? Is Stellar Star on his playlist?

Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:57 am

jimbojango wrote:
Garth wrote:

I’m in Dundee - should I go down and be the GRcade on site correspondent? What questions do you want me to put to him, what is his stance on cupboard bins? Is Stellar Star on his playlist?

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
Hexx
Joined in 2008

by Hexx » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:09 pm

jimbojango wrote:
Garth wrote:

U ok hon?

DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:23 pm

More like Donedee.

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:30 pm

jimbojango wrote:
Garth wrote:

"What's your favourite colour, and why is it not green?"

rinks
Joined in 2008

by rinks » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:32 pm

It's a metaphor for his time as first minister.

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:42 pm

Taken from Wikipedia, these are the largest falls in percentage share of the vote:

Decrease Party Election
15.1% Liberal Democrats 2015
11.6% Conservative 1945
11.2% Conservative 1997
10.8% UKIP 2017
7.9% Labour 2019

I think it's safe to assume the Tories will do worse (percentage wise) than 1997 and 1945. But can they beat Nick Clegg?

Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:50 pm

Absolutely no reason why the Lib Dems couldn't become the second party.

The Tories deserve extinction for what they've done to this country.

Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

by Lagamorph » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:10 pm

twitter.com/benhabib6/status/1783489195069022595

Screenshot for if/when he deletes it due to the reader context

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
rinks
Joined in 2008