The Weather Mk. II

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Robbo-92
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92

PostRe: The Weather Mk. II
by Robbo-92 » Sun May 12, 2024 6:35 pm

Low 20s is a nice temperature in my opinion, warm enough to just about work comfortably in, but it’s cooled off sufficiently where even by 9:30 ish, it’s just about comfortable to sleep in, if you’ve got a few days off; mid 20s is good if you can sit around in the shade and do nothing. I never want to see 40 degrees again, but fear it may happen quite a a few more times as the climate warms and the UK’s weather becomes wetter with more warm spikes.

That’s my random thoughts on the weather :lol:

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by Moggy » Sun May 12, 2024 6:38 pm

We went out for my son's birthday treat and took one of his friends with us. Boiling hot sunny day.

Until we dropped his friend home. It started hammering down with rain just as we dropped him off. Driving back (about a mile) home, it was horrendous, windscreen wipers were a waste of time, we couldn't see anything. And some of the roads basically turned into rivers.

We made it home and the rain had turned to a light shower. 5 minutes later and it was hot and sunny again.

Never known anything like it.

rinks
Joined in 2008

by rinks » Sun May 12, 2024 6:52 pm

I’ve only driven in rain that heavy a couple of times myself. One time, I knew a lay-by was near and stopped. The other was on a three-lane A road. Continuing to drive with virtually no visibility was harrowing, but stopping would have been suicidal. A fair few of us went to the left lane and slowed to about 15mph. A road train like that felt like the safest thing. Absolute morons were passing us at motorway speeds.

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by Moggy » Sun May 12, 2024 6:55 pm

rinks wrote:I’ve only driven in rain that heavy a couple of times myself. One time, I knew a lay-by was near and stopped. The other was on a three-lane A road. Continuing to drive with virtually no visibility was harrowing, but stopping would have been suicidal. A fair few of us went to the left lane and slowed to about 15mph. A road train like that felt like the safest thing. Absolute morons were passing us at motorway speeds.

Pretty much what happened with us. We were on a dual carriageway but everyone slowed down to 10-15mph and all the hazard lights came on. Except a few morons who flew by in the other lane.

rinks
Joined in 2008

by rinks » Sun May 12, 2024 7:02 pm

You’re almost waiting to hear the ambulance sirens.

Horrible situation that can really quite shake you up.

Return_of_the_STAR
Joined in 2008

by Return_of_the_STAR » Sun May 12, 2024 7:52 pm

Outrunner wrote:We've gone from pretty cold to summer weather without the nice inbetween bit (spring). I've had to dig out my big summer fan :(

Yeah this is what’s bothered me the past couple of years, we don’t seem to have spring anymore :cry:

Shoe Army
Rex Kramer
Joined in 2008

by Rex Kramer » Sun May 12, 2024 8:10 pm

I once had to park under a bridge on the M1 because the wipers on the old mini I was driving made no impression on the rain at all.

Hypes
Joined in 2009

by Hypes » Mon May 13, 2024 12:48 pm

Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

by Qikz » Mon May 13, 2024 2:56 pm

It's 18c today where I am and it's the nicest day since it started getting warmer. Nice cool breeze, nice and cloudy and not too hot.

The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
Imrahil
Joined in 2013

by Imrahil » Mon May 13, 2024 3:03 pm

It's the best sort of temperature. In the sun it's pleasantly warm and gets surprisingly hot if you're sitting in a shielded area.

Plus you can actually work outside without getting drenched in sweat instantly. Then, once night comes the temperatures go down nicely to get a decent sleep.

May/early June and mid-late September have always been my favourite times of year in southern UK. The rest of the time it's either cold or too hot (when the sun's out).

Robbo-92
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92

by Robbo-92 » Mon May 13, 2024 7:32 pm

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
Outrunner wrote:We've gone from pretty cold to summer weather without the nice inbetween bit (spring). I've had to dig out my big summer fan :(

Yeah this is what’s bothered me the past couple of years, we don’t seem to have spring anymore :cry:

We barely seem to have a normal autumn and winter anymore either, was it last year we saw nearly 30c in mid October? Even winters aren't that cold, if it wasn't for the constant rain over the previous winter I think it'd have been very mild.

floydfreak
Joined in 2008

by floydfreak » Mon May 13, 2024 10:26 pm

It was a very mild winter just gone

poshrule_uk
Joined in 2008

by poshrule_uk » Tue May 14, 2024 5:04 pm

Has anyone got one of those Shark Flex fans. Are they any good at keeping you cool?

Saw them on the TV and thought it looks decent.

andretmzt
Joined in 2008

by andretmzt » Tue May 14, 2024 11:07 pm

I have a couple of MeacoFan 1056s which are fantastic if you are looking to spend over a hundred notes on a fan. I'd be interested to know if the Shark ones are any good.

HSH28 wrote:No Last Guardian.
No new exclusive PS4 games.
No longer free MP for PS4.

Microsoft win E3.
rinks
Joined in 2008

by rinks » Wed May 15, 2024 2:28 pm

andretmzt wrote:I have a couple of MeacoFan 1056s which are fantastic if you are looking to spend over a hundred notes on a fan.

I’ve got one of those. They’re excellent. About to buy one of their dehumidifiers too.

rinks
Joined in 2008

by rinks » Wed May 15, 2024 2:29 pm

It hit 48°C in Myanmar last week. Don’t even want to imagine that.

Vermilion
Gnome Thief
Joined in 2018

by Vermilion » Wed May 15, 2024 2:35 pm

rinks wrote:It hit 48°C in Myanmar last week. Don’t even want to imagine that.

:dread:

Myanmar is a humid country too as far as i know, places like Saudi get to those temps but i've heard it's more bearable because of just how dry it is.

Outrunner
Joined in 2008

by Outrunner » Wed May 15, 2024 4:47 pm

Vermilion wrote:
rinks wrote:It hit 48°C in Myanmar last week. Don’t even want to imagine that.

:dread:

Myanmar is a humid country too as far as i know, places like Saudi get to those temps but i've heard it's more bearable because of just how dry it is.

At those sorts of temperatures the Saudi government puts out heatwave warnings and advising people not to go outside

In principal I get the humid heat vs dry heat argument and get how it's supposed to work. But for me heat is heat and it's all equally unbearable.

Please do not post this in the "No Context" thread
DarkRula
Joined in 2018

by DarkRula » Wed May 15, 2024 5:50 pm

Yup. Heat is heat, and no matter the humidity, it still kills the freshness of the air to create a lingering dryness.

Curls
Joined in 2008

by Curls » Mon May 20, 2024 1:19 am

There is a difference for sure, 40C in Nicosia would often feel 'nicer' than 34C in Limassol because Limassol had the humidity of the sea.

Return to “Stuff”