Fed up talking videogames? Why?
RetroCora
Joined in 2022

PostRe: The Football Thread 2023/24: That there Burnley relegated
by RetroCora » Tue May 14, 2024 9:02 am

Yes Denny :lol:

Moggy wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Moggy wrote:Why don't Scottish football just have two 20-24 team leagues, rather than go through all of that nonsense?

The rest of the SPL don't want to lose the revenue they get from hosting the Old Firm at home twice along with the tv money.

Yes, but as Cora pointed out, they are all much more likely to risk relegation in the current set up, which means no old firm game and a season (or more) of greatly reduced income.

You have a one in six (realistically one in five) chance of going down or being in the relegation play-off in Scotland. As I understand it, 2-4 in the Championship play each other in play-offs, then 4th plays 3rd, winner of that plays 2nd and then the winner of that plays 11th in the SPL to decide who stays up. So if you're fourth in the Championship you'll play six matches, if you're 11th in the SPL you'll play two. It even took Rangers two shots to get back up from that league! :lol:

I genuinely don't think English lower league fans realise how good they've got it sometimes :lol: :fp:

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by Moggy » Tue May 14, 2024 9:04 am

RetroCora wrote:Yes Denny :lol:

Moggy wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Moggy wrote:Why don't Scottish football just have two 20-24 team leagues, rather than go through all of that nonsense?

The rest of the SPL don't want to lose the revenue they get from hosting the Old Firm at home twice along with the tv money.

Yes, but as Cora pointed out, they are all much more likely to risk relegation in the current set up, which means no old firm game and a season (or more) of greatly reduced income.

You have a one in six (realistically one in five) chance of going down or being in the relegation play-off in Scotland. As I understand it, 2-4 in the Championship play each other in play-offs, then 4th plays 3rd, winner of that plays 2nd and then the winner of that plays 11th in the SPL to decide who stays up. So if you're fourth in the Championship you'll play six matches, if you're 11th in the SPL you'll play two. It even took Rangers two shots to get back up from that league! :lol:

I genuinely don't think English lower league fans realise how good they've got it sometimes :lol: :fp:

I just want to watch football, not do maths that's more complicated than astrophysics. :dread:

RetroCora
Joined in 2022

by RetroCora » Tue May 14, 2024 9:12 am

Moggy wrote:
RetroCora wrote:Yes Denny :lol:

Moggy wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

I just want to watch football, not do maths that's more complicated than astrophysics. :dread:

Right! :lol:

Honestly mate, there's a kind of joy in being the most tinpot leagues in the world. One of our more irreverent pundits does a thread on Twi-err, X, every season with a weekly round up of the absolute bollocks that goes on here. This season includes Santa getting booed, Partick's nightmare fuel mascot, and this:

Whole thread for this season:

https://x.com/Oldfirmfacts1/status/1789723450195468579

Albert
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2023/24: Title race goes to the final day
by Albert » Tue May 14, 2024 12:52 pm

twitter.com/1MickyHazard/status/1790308713481257352

Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Tue May 14, 2024 1:02 pm

They did that last year didn't they?

Sheringham :lol:

Albert
Joined in 2008

by Albert » Tue May 14, 2024 5:09 pm

Tomous wrote:They did that last year didn't they?

Sheringham :lol:

Not sure, there were these 2 from last year. I think they are great, even if they are from Paddy Power and take the absolute piss out of Spurs.

Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Cuttooth » Tue May 14, 2024 6:05 pm

Exploding Heads are great. :lol:

Albert
Joined in 2008

by Albert » Tue May 14, 2024 8:07 pm

This is so gross for me, and a complete turnaround, but I've begun to hope Spurs get a result here, as that is the right thing to do and they should try their best.

Felt the complete opposite up to about 10 mins ago, but now kinda see it as self defeating and petty.

ooooh this is horrible, strawberry float all of this and strawberry float you all.

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Tue May 14, 2024 8:15 pm

I'm hoping for a draw, just to make Sunday more interesting.

Ploiper
Joined in 2018

by Ploiper » Tue May 14, 2024 8:44 pm

as much as i want tottenham to get a result, i fully know man city will end up winning so i am pretty calm about it all.

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Cuttooth » Tue May 14, 2024 9:09 pm

Well that's probably that. :(

Curls
Joined in 2008

by Curls » Tue May 14, 2024 9:15 pm

Any spurs fan who wants city to win to spite Arsenal is ludicrous.

Another year of prem football, another load of time wasted, at least I lost hope weeks ago. Next season o probably won't have any hope unless a team pulls about 12 points ahead of them and is still that way in March.

Parksey
Joined in 2008

by Parksey » Tue May 14, 2024 9:22 pm

Bit depressing that only that Liverpool title win, in a weird COVID season, stopped City getting seven in a row.

A club with unlimited riches, bankrolled by a country with human rights abuses, with the world's best manager. What a Cinderella story.

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Tue May 14, 2024 9:25 pm

Parksey wrote:Bit depressing that only that Liverpool title win, in a weird COVID season, stopped City getting seven in a row.

A club with unlimited riches, bankrolled by a country with human rights abuses, with the world's best manager. What a Cinderella story.

I doubt it'll happen, but we can only hope they get found guilty on their charges and their titles are stripped from them.

Parksey
Joined in 2008

by Parksey » Tue May 14, 2024 9:34 pm

Moggy wrote:
Parksey wrote:Bit depressing that only that Liverpool title win, in a weird COVID season, stopped City getting seven in a row.

I doubt it'll happen, but we can only hope they get found guilty on their charges and their titles are stripped from them.

I think if they get found guilty of any of the charges - and given that they will likely be able to hire the best lawyers available with their unlimited funds, and be able to exert pressure - then I think any punishment will either be punitive (a cash fine or a transfer ban for a window or two) or something that affects them going forward.

Whilst we all know they have basically won leagues and cups due to financial doping, it opens a can of worms to start retrospectively taking them away and giving them to other fans. They won't want to create a precedent of that, so I reckon they'll go for easier actions.

Albert
Joined in 2008

by Albert » Tue May 14, 2024 9:34 pm

Curls wrote:Any spurs fan who wants city to win to spite Arsenal is ludicrous.

That's odd because you are the exact type of liverpool fan that I would expect would rather your side lost than United win the league.

Obviously I have that wrong so I guess we learn something every day.

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Tue May 14, 2024 9:36 pm

Parksey wrote:
Moggy wrote:

I think if they get found guilty of any of the charges - and given that they will likely be able to hire the best lawyers available with their unlimited funds, and be able to exert pressure - then I think any punishment will either be punitive (a cash fine or a transfer ban for a window or two) or something that affects them going forward.

Whilst we all know they have basically won leagues and cups due to financial doping, it opens a can of worms to start retrospectively taking them away and giving them to other fans. They won't want to create a precedent of that, so I reckon they'll go for easier actions.

Yep.

Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Cuttooth » Tue May 14, 2024 9:41 pm

Moggy wrote:
Parksey wrote:
Moggy wrote:

Yep.

I wish there was any kind of timeframe for something to actually come from these charges.

Albert
Joined in 2008

by Albert » Tue May 14, 2024 9:48 pm

Why does neville keep saying the titled could be confirmed tonight?

Ploiper
Joined in 2018

by Ploiper » Tue May 14, 2024 9:50 pm

pretty much is confirmed as there is no way in hell man city drop points to west ham on sunday.

:toot: :toot: :toot:

Return to “Stuff”