Buying a house (and renting)

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Buying a house (and renting)
by Tomous » Fri May 17, 2024 1:15 pm

Grumpy David wrote:Leaving the cats behind to collect later on and then only collecting 1 cat is absurd. :lol:

https://www.thecomet.net/news/24261876.hitchin-leaseholders-face-9-000-ground-rent-rise/

Hitchin: Leaseholders face 9,000% ground rent rise

The £25 per year they previously had to pay has now soared to a horrifying £2,350.

Backdated to 2018 too. :dread:

Can't sell as no one will buy it and no lender would allow such onerous ground rent even if someone was mad enough to want to buy it.

The sooner Leasehold is abolished the better, the milquetoast reforms that the Tories are putting through currently don't go far enough.

Jesus Christ, that is devastating.

Squinty
Joined in 2009

by Squinty » Fri May 17, 2024 9:02 pm

Phoned the estate agents at 9am about the cat. They phoned the woman as she was still unresponsive.

She told them my partner was rude and thats why she hasn't been back to collect the cat. She had also realised the router was left behind and that it would cost 180 pounds for a replacement.

Estate agent phoned us and basically apologised for her being a massive melt. She managed to arrange for her to come around for the cat and the router.

The woman came back and tried to get the cat. It attacked her and then ran away.

Spoke to her afterwards to give the router back. She proceeds to tell me she was at our property at 10pm, trying to find the cat in our back garden.

The cat is still there. I am looking at it right now through the window. We are never getting rid of mad Karen and her cat.

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by Moggy » Fri May 17, 2024 9:07 pm

"You were rude to me, so I abandoned my cat!"

:lol:

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Fri May 17, 2024 9:12 pm

It's a shame Squinty is going to get murdered with a router power cord, but the Netflix drama "Baby Cat" is going to be amazing.

Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Fri May 17, 2024 9:12 pm

This honestly sounds insane :lol:

Squinty
Joined in 2009

by Squinty » Fri May 17, 2024 9:41 pm

She also still had a key to our house today. She ended up giving me it. strawberry float knows if she has anymore. I am going to have to ring the estate agents about on it Monday. We need to get the locks changed asap.

The shower also doesn't work in the bathroom with the blocked sink. I think I can fix it though. It was not a nice surprise. The water exploded out of the fixture in the wall as opposed to the shower head.

My family is coming over to help us clean tomorrow as there is still cat hair in parts of the house.

Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Fri May 17, 2024 10:26 pm

Did you manage to scrub pedalo off the front ok?

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
Jenuall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall

by Jenuall » Fri May 17, 2024 11:53 pm

Squinty
Joined in 2009

by Squinty » Sat May 18, 2024 8:04 pm

I think I hit peak annoyed today. My family came over. The front door is now broken, it doesn't close properly. We are waiting on a lock dude.

After that happened, I asked my brother to help me get into the attic. It is filled with her gooseberry fool. She didn't bother to move it out.

They came in the afternoon. My partner spoke to her cause I was strawberry floating raging.The cat is now finally gone. So I hopefully don't have to deal with strawberry floating Karen again.

My family are strawberry floating legends. They helped clean, fixed some things, bought us nice housewarming gifts. I am so lucky to have them.

ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

by ITSMILNER » Sat May 18, 2024 8:47 pm

Isn’t this something you can take up with your solicitors? In order to get some kind of compensation for the condition the house has been left to you in?

Lex-Man
Joined in 2008

by Lex-Man » Sat May 18, 2024 8:51 pm

What was the place like when you viewed it?

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
Squinty
Joined in 2009

by Squinty » Sat May 18, 2024 9:29 pm

ITSMILNER wrote:Isn’t this something you can take up with your solicitors? In order to get some kind of compensation for the condition the house has been left to you in?

We are going to contact them about this and the estate agents about the keys on Monday. I doubt we will get anywhere with the solicitors.

Lex-Man wrote:What was the place like when you viewed it?

We thought the inside was fine at the time, we didn't observe any issues, we had tried that shower, can only assume it recently broke. The front door was obviously used at the time, it was fine. We didn't check the tap in the kitchen, so that's on us.

In hindsight, we really should have been more wary due to the front and back gardens though. Both were neglected. That should have been an indication to us of how the owner looked after the property.

We assume it is a money/mental health thing. It's a really good area. This house sticks out like a sore thumb currently.

I'm hoping us finding broken gooseberry fool slows down. We have the money to fix these things, which makes it easier.

Herdanos
Go for it, Danmon!
Joined in 2008
AKA: lol don't ask

by Herdanos » Fri May 24, 2024 10:25 am

Hopefully you're over the worst of it now Squinty and you can crack on with making it a dream home.

But yeah, get the locks changed. And make sure to do the same for any and all different ones - front and back doors, sheds, gates.

Nowhere near as bad as you had it but when we moved into our current house, the previous owner retained some keys for days afterwards. He kept letting himself back into the property via the back gate. Oh, and he left his dog in the shed on moving day.

Generating Real Conversations About Digital Entertainment
poshrule_uk
Joined in 2008

by poshrule_uk » Fri May 24, 2024 10:27 am

Sounds like totally normal behaviour

Squinty
Joined in 2009

by Squinty » Sat May 25, 2024 2:22 am

I would say that's a similar situation Herdano. Sounds about as annoying.

Problems haven't really ended for us. We currently have an infestation of blue bottle flies. We are talking close to a hundred so far. I suspect there is something dead somewhere. I cannot locate it so far.

We have made some progress. We have painted the living room and I've started to try and get the front garden in order. My aunts arrived on Wednesday and helped with the latter. We'll need to get someone in to sort the back garden out. I don't even know where to start with that.

We are planning to do the bedroom over the weekend. Plumber is coming out on monday to fix the shower and the leaky tap. There is also this weird smell in the bathroom that we cannot shift, I am hoping this is not a leak, but I think it could well be.

This place is absolutely doing my head in currently. I've had buyers remorse since the day we moved and I don't see it shifting anytime soon.

Herdanos
Go for it, Danmon!
Joined in 2008
AKA: lol don't ask

by Herdanos » Sat May 25, 2024 8:06 am

Get a pest control person in. You're possibly wasting effort decorating if there's something dead behind a wall somewhere.

Generating Real Conversations About Digital Entertainment
Holpil
Joined in 2008

by Holpil » Sat May 25, 2024 10:00 am

Flies and small moths usually come up from the drains. Pour some boiling water down them and then keep the plug holes closed for a while to see if they stop getting in.

Squinty
Joined in 2009

by Squinty » Sat May 25, 2024 8:51 pm

Herdanos wrote:Get a pest control person in. You're possibly wasting effort decorating if there's something dead behind a wall somewhere.

I keep referring to it as a house but it is a bungalow :lol:

The infestation is down one end of it. We have the living room and our bedroom in the other end. They are far enough away from those rooms, so it's alright.

Pulled all the removal boxes out of one of the fly graveyard rooms and found a hole in the floorboards. So we've blocked it off. If it still bad on Tuesday, I will call a pest control company.

Holpil wrote:Flies and small moths usually come up from the drains. Pour some boiling water down them and then keep the plug holes closed for a while to see if they stop getting in.

Did this earlier! Thanks for suggesting it.

Squinty
Joined in 2009

by Squinty » Tue May 28, 2024 7:59 pm

Hate to keep venting like this.

We had the plumber in. The bathroom has a leak. It has been going on for sometime and has affected the floor. It is basically a health hazard. We need a new bathroom asap.

Flies are less present so...that's something...

I have an upset partner and I am just strawberry floating numb from all this now. Had a private survey done to avoid this stuff. It has done strawberry float all.

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Tue May 28, 2024 8:21 pm

Squinty wrote:Hate to keep venting like this.

We had the plumber in. The bathroom has a leak. It has been going on for sometime and has affected the floor. It is basically a health hazard. We need a new bathroom asap.

Flies are less present so...that's something...

I have an upset partner and I am just strawberry floating numb from all this now. Had a private survey done to avoid this stuff. It has done strawberry float all.

Crazy cat lady is funny (for us!), but that's awful.

Surely that's something a survey should have easily spotted, can you complain and see if they pay up some compensation?

Return to “Stuff”