The Football Thread 2023/24: Real Madrid win 15th Champions League title, Mbappe to join in July

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Football Thread 2023/24: Poch leaves Chelsea "by mutual consent"
by Preezy » Tue May 21, 2024 7:32 pm

Maybe Jose will get a third crack at the whip? That would be the Hollywood option, probably appeals to Boehly's ego.

Return_of_the_STAR
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2023/24: City win 4th consecutive PL title
by Return_of_the_STAR » Tue May 21, 2024 7:34 pm

jawa_ wrote:
Denster wrote:Poch is gone.

... :o . We all know that Chelsea have underachieved for a while now, but it seemed like the manager had started to get the team performing a bit better over the past couple of months?

Their form has massively picked up over the past few months, got them back into Europe and he got to the league cup final. I can only assume it was a disagreement over transfers.

Shoe Army
Benzin
Joined in 2011

by Benzin » Tue May 21, 2024 7:41 pm

He's probably had a tiff with Boehly who clearly thinks he knows better.

ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

by ITSMILNER » Tue May 21, 2024 8:18 pm

Wonder where Poch will go next, Bayern maybe? He should have been given more time to turn Chelsea around and get his own players into the club.

Denster
Joined in 2008

by Denster » Tue May 21, 2024 8:42 pm

Munich have apparently had initial talks with Kompany. He'd be bloody lucky to get that gig.

Rawrgna
Joined in 2019

by Rawrgna » Tue May 21, 2024 8:42 pm

Make managers sign rolling monthly contracts the rate that they go through them never fulfilling the contract length unless you're pep klopp or Wenger and Fergie previously

jiggles
Joined in 2008

by jiggles » Tue May 21, 2024 8:49 pm

Poch to United next season then? Is that what’s happening? He was one of the favourites for the job when they were scouting ETH wasn’t he?

Albert
Joined in 2008

by Albert » Tue May 21, 2024 8:54 pm

Apparently Thomas Partey has reportedly held talks with Fenerbahce.

Well done Arsenal for doing the right thing.

Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

by Preezy » Tue May 21, 2024 9:34 pm

Albert wrote:Apparently Thomas Partey has reportedly held talks with Fenerbahce.

You mean doing the right thing by playing him all season knowing he's a rapist?

Albert
Joined in 2008

by Albert » Tue May 21, 2024 10:04 pm

Preezy wrote:
Albert wrote:Apparently Thomas Partey has reportedly held talks with Fenerbahce.

You mean doing the right thing by playing him all season knowing he's a rapist?

outrageous! :o

BOR
Joined in 2008

by BOR » Tue May 21, 2024 11:18 pm

Chelsea owners. :fp:

Pochettino was doing well with the squad and finished 6th in the league. Sacked. Ridiculous.

Now, will he go to Manchester United if ten Hag gets the sack?

"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

by Preezy » Wed May 22, 2024 8:31 am

Wouldn't say no to Poch at United, he's a decent manager that's had to deal with some properly toxic clubs so he'd be walking in with his eyes open :slol:

BTB
Joined in 2008

by BTB » Wed May 22, 2024 8:34 am

Just saw Pep got manager of the season. Which I kind of get as 4 in row hasn't been done before... but isn't the expectation for them to win the league? Feel like Emery is much more deserving breaking into the top 4 and getting CL football for Villa!

Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

by Drumstick » Wed May 22, 2024 8:37 am

Agreed, Emery easily MotS for me.

Check out my YouTube channel!
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image Image
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by Moggy » Wed May 22, 2024 8:52 am

Tony Pulis once won that award. It's tainted beyond belief.

Curls
Joined in 2008

by Curls » Wed May 22, 2024 9:02 pm

Atalanta could ruin Leverkusen's party here.

Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Wed May 22, 2024 9:07 pm

BTB wrote:Just saw Pep got manager of the season. Which I kind of get as 4 in row hasn't been done before... but isn't the expectation for them to win the league? Feel like Emery is much more deserving breaking into the top 4 and getting CL football for Villa!

Yep. It should be Emery without a doubt.

Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Cuttooth » Wed May 22, 2024 9:34 pm

Holy gooseberry fool Lookman with a stunning hat trick! :o

Ste
Joined in 2008
AKA: ScouseStevmed

by Ste » Wed May 22, 2024 9:49 pm

Not seen the first two but the third was a screamer. What could have been!

Parksey
Joined in 2008

by Parksey » Wed May 22, 2024 11:34 pm

Tomous wrote:
BTB wrote:Just saw Pep got manager of the season. Which I kind of get as 4 in row hasn't been done before... but isn't the expectation for them to win the league? Feel like Emery is much more deserving breaking into the top 4 and getting CL football for Villa!

Yep. It should be Emery without a doubt.

I think Pep is a brilliant coach - if you can get the players in and build a coherent and highly effective system, he is possibly the best there is. Though he's had the dice well and truly loaded in his favour at City, with their financial doping, he could still have flopped and underperformed. He has done very well to keep the team so hungry and driven, as well as repaired the team steadily over each season, reducing the need for an extensive rebuild.

However, I pause when people call in the greatest ever.

Firstly, it's obviously the money with City. Yes, other teams are super rich and may have spent more over Pep's tenure, but no-one can really compete with City's resources. I think he's also been blessed with a great recruitment side for the past 7-8 years (they might spend money, but how many flops do they have? Just look at Chelsea...)

But the main thing with Pep is - has he ever had a project? At Barca, they had won the Champions League in 2006 - with a team that had a backbone of Spanish players that would go and dominate internationally in 2008, 2010 and 2012. Oh, and he had possibly the best player that's ever lived on his books. He went to Munich, who I believe had won the CL the year before he arrived (and were narrowly pipped on the 2012 final) and who didn't really have any competitors in the league. That Munich team also had some players who would lift the world cup on 2014.

He goes to City and who had won 2 or 3 titles and quite a few cups in the 4/5 year spell before this arrival. He's embedded success much deeper at City (I think they'd have won titles.without him, but not four in a row) but he's landed at his clubs already in a privileged position.

I would give him so much more credit if he had built something. Though lighter on trophies, I find Klopp's era at Liverpool more successful - bar the Rodgers title run, that club were a joke when it came to titles. "It's our year" was the deluded bleat of the fanbase each August. Klopp built up a culture around the club and made them serious contenders for every trophy. They were probably the best team to watch for 2-3 years. The "only" won the title once but, let's face it, in any normal situation without nation states bankrolling a club and fudging the system, they'd have had at least two more and we'd have been looking at a dynasty similar to Wenger or Mourinho - one which wins titles and shapes the culture of the league at the same time.

Likewise, had Arsenal won the league this year or last, I'd have found Arteta's job much more impressive. He's build Arsenal up for under achievers to a team that looks like it should win things. Again, on a normal situation, they'd have won the last two league titles and you'd have them as the team to beat. We'd have moved from the end of the Liverpool era to the Arsenal one. Instead, we've got City winning 6 out of 7 or something like that. Depressing. Yes, Pep took the side at the top and did make them better - but they were ahead of competitors already in an unfair race.

This is before we even get started on managers that built from even further back. Ferguson stands out as the ultimate example, in how he turned it around and brought success.

For his next project, I'd love to see Guardiola at a club akin to, say, Villa or Spurs He's not going to go to a minnow but he should go to one which is a bit down on its luck, but a sleeping giant, or on a long winless run, but with history, a decent squad and a bit of money.

Return to “Stuff”