Politics Thread 7: THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER - General Election 04/07/24

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Who will you vote for at the next General Election?

Conservatives
7%
Labour
61%
SNP
5%
Lib Dems
6%
DUP
1%
Sinn Fein
1%
Plaid Cymru
2%
SDLP
No votes
Alba
No votes
Greens
15%
Alliance
No votes
Other
3%

Total votes: 121
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Politics Thread 7: THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER - General Election 04/07/24
by Moggy » Wed May 22, 2024 8:58 pm

rinks wrote:Apart from the overall result, I very much want to see Lee Anderson kicked into oblivion. Even if that means a Tory getting Sutton.

I'd assume he's toast (a non-racist breakfast). He won reasonably comfortably in 2019. But Ashfield was always a Labour seat before that. And the Tories will eat into his vote.

Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 7: THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER - General Election 04/07/24
by Garth » Wed May 22, 2024 8:59 pm

Shocking news:

twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1793369235835736289

rinks
Joined in 2008

by rinks » Wed May 22, 2024 9:02 pm

Moggy wrote:
rinks wrote:Apart from the overall result, I very much want to see Lee Anderson kicked into oblivion. Even if that means a Tory getting Sutton.

I'd assume he's toast (a non-racist breakfast). He won reasonably comfortably in 2019. But Ashfield was always a Labour seat before that. And the Tories will eat into his vote.

Would hope so. But that wretch seems to get his way far more often than is reasonable.

rinks
Joined in 2008

by rinks » Wed May 22, 2024 9:11 pm

My current MP is Labour. Unfortunately, bastard boundary changes mean I’ll be in a different constituency this time - one that has been staunchly blue. Hopefully the swing will extend this far, but it’s a stretch. 57% Tory at last election, with LibDem second on 19%. gooseberry fool.

Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

by Preezy » Wed May 22, 2024 9:16 pm

Rex Kramer wrote:
Cuttooth wrote:I can't think of a way an election campaign launch could have feasibly gone worse than the last few hours. :lol:

He's managed to make himself look even more ridiculous than normal. Nothing screams competent leadership like a man stood in the pouring rain without a strawberry floating umbrella. Daft twat.

Wally without a brolly.

Lex-Man
Joined in 2008

by Lex-Man » Wed May 22, 2024 9:26 pm

They literally spent millions doing up a media room during Covid.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
Sprouty
Joined in 2008
AKA: SillySprout

by Sprouty » Wed May 22, 2024 9:45 pm

twitter.com/MrBrendanCox/status/1793348626611134808

This could turn in to a big story.

The silly neighbourhood vegetable.
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Garth » Wed May 22, 2024 9:46 pm

twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1793382405203456276

Wow! Extraordinary but true - some furious Conservative MPs are tonight working on a plot to CALL OFF the general election by replacing Rishi Sunak as leader before Parliament is dissolved next Thursday.
One rebel Tory MP tells me he believes “several” more letters of no confidence in Sunak have been submitted to 1922 chairman Sir Graham Brady.
The senior Conservative MP told me: “Today has clearly been an absolute disaster but the election is NOT irrevocable; up until the point of the Dissolution of Parliament - when the writs are moved to begin the contests, it can still be aborted.
“In other words, if enough Tory MPs, who are clearly going to lose their seats in this already utterly shambolic campaign, write to Sir Graham Brady, tomorrow , the election could still be revoked.”

Benzin
Joined in 2011

by Benzin » Wed May 22, 2024 9:48 pm

Gotta squeeze out that MP wage for as long as possible haven't they?

Spineless banana splits the lot of them.

Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Cuttooth » Wed May 22, 2024 9:52 pm

Plotting to call off the election after it’s been announced would be the event that results in zero Tory MPs and the end of the party.

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Wed May 22, 2024 9:52 pm

Garth wrote:

Wow! Extraordinary but true - some furious Conservative MPs are tonight working on a plot to CALL OFF the general election by replacing Rishi Sunak as leader before Parliament is dissolved next Thursday.
One rebel Tory MP tells me he believes “several” more letters of no confidence in Sunak have been submitted to 1922 chairman Sir Graham Brady.
The senior Conservative MP told me: “Today has clearly been an absolute disaster but the election is NOT irrevocable; up until the point of the Dissolution of Parliament - when the writs are moved to begin the contests, it can still be aborted.
“In other words, if enough Tory MPs, who are clearly going to lose their seats in this already utterly shambolic campaign, write to Sir Graham Brady, tomorrow , the election could still be revoked.”

I don't for a second believe that'll happen, but it would be the funniest thing to ever happen in British politics. It'd make the Liz Truss premiership look like a period of stability. :lol:

Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Wed May 22, 2024 9:55 pm

While I really want a GE....I kinda want that to happen because it would completely destroy the party for good.

Sprouty
Joined in 2008
AKA: SillySprout

by Sprouty » Wed May 22, 2024 9:58 pm

Moggy wrote:
Garth wrote:

I don't for a second believe that'll happen, but it would be the funniest thing to ever happen in British politics. It'd make the Liz Truss premiership look like a period of stability. :lol:

It's probably one of the few things you could trust a GB News Presenter on, as they seem to be working with half of the Tory MPs.

Any vote of no confidence would fail, because ultimately that would be even more damaging to the Tory party. But simply holding one would be hugely damaging also, and incredibly entertaining!

The silly neighbourhood vegetable.
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Wed May 22, 2024 10:01 pm

Sprouty wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Garth wrote:

It's probably one of the few things you could trust a GB News Presenter on, as they seem to be working with half of the Tory MPs.

Any vote of no confidence would fail, because ultimately that would be even more damaging to the Tory party. But simply holding one would be hugely damaging also, and incredibly entertaining!

I guess it technically possible, but there really isn't time to oust Sunak before he asks the King to dissolve Parliament.

Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Garth » Wed May 22, 2024 10:41 pm

twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1793385211624816820

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Wed May 22, 2024 10:44 pm

Tories getting upset over somebody being selfish? :lol:

Lex-Man
Joined in 2008

by Lex-Man » Wed May 22, 2024 11:10 pm

I really want to see the polls after the Tories pull the plug on an election and chuck out their election. Also at that point would Sunak just quit?

rinks
Joined in 2008

by rinks » Wed May 22, 2024 11:13 pm

Moggy wrote:
Sprouty wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Garth wrote:

I guess it technically possible, but there really isn't time to oust Sunak before he asks the King to dissolve Parliament.

Didn’t he do that this afternoon?

Lex-Man
Joined in 2008

by Lex-Man » Wed May 22, 2024 11:30 pm

rinks wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Sprouty wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Garth wrote:

He'll do it next week formally I believe. It's generally televised.

Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Wed May 22, 2024 11:32 pm

Lex-Man wrote:
rinks wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Sprouty wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Garth wrote:

He'll do it next week formally I believe. It's generally televised.

Yep. May 30th.

Return to “Stuff”