Politics Thread 7: THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER - General Election 04/07/24

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Who will you vote for at the next General Election?

Conservatives
7%
Labour
61%
SNP
5%
Lib Dems
6%
DUP
1%
Sinn Fein
1%
Plaid Cymru
2%
SDLP
No votes
Alba
No votes
Greens
15%
Alliance
No votes
Other
3%

Total votes: 121
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Politics Thread 7: THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER - General Election 04/07/24
by Moggy » Thu May 23, 2024 7:50 pm

BID0 wrote:
Lex-Man wrote:Have the Tories actually got enough people to run in every seat? They are going to have to really quickly get some candidates up and running.

They were something like 150 candidates short when the election was announced. At the same time, Greens had about 95% of their candidates selected with the aim to have a candidate in every seat for the first time ever.

The Tories are going to have scandal after scandal as they'll have to rush to select candidates.

Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Politics Thread 7: THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER - General Election 04/07/24
by Tomous » Thu May 23, 2024 8:20 pm

Moggy wrote:
BID0 wrote:
Lex-Man wrote:Have the Tories actually got enough people to run in every seat? They are going to have to really quickly get some candidates up and running.

They were something like 150 candidates short when the election was announced. At the same time, Greens had about 95% of their candidates selected with the aim to have a candidate in every seat for the first time ever.

The Tories are going to have scandal after scandal as they'll have to rush to select candidates.

What's a few dozen more at this point

Neo Cortex
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jamiej

by Neo Cortex » Thu May 23, 2024 8:21 pm

Tomous wrote:
Moggy wrote:
BID0 wrote:

What's a few dozen more at this point

It's always dick pics atm too

Return_of_the_STAR
Joined in 2008

by Return_of_the_STAR » Thu May 23, 2024 9:35 pm

twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1793717817734218238

Oh wow :lol: I hope they do this every day.

Shoe Army
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Thu May 23, 2024 10:04 pm

"And poor people actually eat this?"

Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Garth » Fri May 24, 2024 12:04 am

twitter.com/realBenBloch/status/1793762474837049479

Zilnad
Joined in 2019

by Zilnad » Fri May 24, 2024 4:15 am

This week's whims... Brutal :lol:

Sprouty
Joined in 2008
AKA: SillySprout

by Sprouty » Fri May 24, 2024 7:06 am

Garth wrote:

twitter.com/realBenBloch/status/1793762474837049479

Debates need to be legally mandated. Whoever is ahead wants less and behind want more, every election. Remember when Boris literally hid in a fridge to avoid questioning?!

The silly neighbourhood vegetable.
satriales
Joined in 2008

by satriales » Fri May 24, 2024 7:41 am

Rishi is now refusing to honour the charity bet he lost with Piers Morgan. His excuse that he didn't lose because one person went to Rwanda voluntarily (he was paid £3k to go and they then lost him). He should donate £1k to The Red Cross regardless - it's literally like 5p to Rishi.

Rex Kramer
Joined in 2008

by Rex Kramer » Fri May 24, 2024 8:28 am

Does anyone know what is the cut off date for naming candidates for each seat? I'm wondering if we'll see a flurry of retirements this weekend.

Grumpy David
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

by Grumpy David » Fri May 24, 2024 8:40 am

twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1793899852624953398

Starmer can now expel Corbyn from the party and do the same for anyone supporting him. Great opportunity to clear out the basket of deplorables.

Starmer has to be one of the luckiest politicians of all time.

Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Garth » Fri May 24, 2024 8:51 am

twitter.com/robpowellnews/status/1793893652407668773

Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Cuttooth » Fri May 24, 2024 8:52 am

"I have other things I wish to do." :lol:

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Fri May 24, 2024 8:55 am

Grumpy David wrote:

Starmer can now expel Corbyn from the party and do the same for anyone supporting him. Great opportunity to clear out the basket of deplorables.

Lucky? I highly doubt Labour will be winning Islington North against Corbyn. And I'm not sure that purging Labour of Corbyn supporters is a great way of showing a unified party in the lead up to an election.

I'm sure Labour will still win, but I wouldn't describe this as good news for the party.

Grumpy David
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

by Grumpy David » Fri May 24, 2024 9:20 am

Moggy wrote:
Grumpy David wrote:

Lucky? I highly doubt Labour will be winning Islington North against Corbyn. And I'm not sure that purging Labour of Corbyn supporters is a great way of showing a unified party in the lead up to an election.

I'm sure Labour will still win, but I wouldn't describe this as good news for the party.

Starmer is very lucky. He only became an MP much later in life and rose to the top very quickly.

He's gets to be Labour leader whilst the Tories and the SNP were already in power for a long time so the "time for a change" feeling was already brewing and then both parties imploded in spectacular fashion.

And Corbyn's automatic expulsion from Labour means Starmer can draw a clean line under it and should any Labour deplorables voice support for him they get automatically expelled too (it's not a purge, it's an automated process the results from poor decisions that were freely chosen).

Corbyn is 73 and could have just retired but his arrogance wouldn't let him. It'll be a 2 horse race between Corbyn and the Labour candidate but I expect Labour to edge it and then lucky Starmer won't even have to see Corbyn in the opposition benches.

Knoyleo
Joined in 2008

by Knoyleo » Fri May 24, 2024 9:22 am

An independent Corbyn will absolutely win Islington North.

"Deplorables" :simper:

pjbetman wrote:That's the stupidest thing ive ever read on here i think.
Oblomov Boblomov
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

by Oblomov Boblomov » Fri May 24, 2024 9:32 am

Corbyn will be elected, and we should be grateful for whatever domestic-social-and/or-economic-policy pressure he is able to exert on a Labour government. Perhaps not so much his foreign policy :slol:.

DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Fri May 24, 2024 9:32 am

I'm actually interested in why Corbynites are considered deplorable. I think it would give me a better understanding.

At the moment I'm not sure I'd take Wes Streeting over any of them, hateful human.

Last edited by DML on Fri May 24, 2024 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Fri May 24, 2024 9:32 am

Grumpy David wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Grumpy David wrote:

Starmer is very lucky. He only became an MP much later in life and rose to the top very quickly.

He's gets to be Labour leader whilst the Tories and the SNP were already in power for a long time so the "time for a change" feeling was already brewing and then both parties imploded in spectacular fashion.

And Corbyn's automatic expulsion from Labour means Starmer can draw a clean line under it and should any Labour deplorables voice support for him they get automatically expelled too (it's not a purge, it's an automated process the results from poor decisions that were freely chosen).

Corbyn is 73 and could have just retired but his arrogance wouldn't let him. It'll be a 2 horse race between Corbyn and the Labour candidate but I expect Labour to edge it and then lucky Starmer won't even have to see Corbyn in the opposition benches.

Starmer and Sunak became MPs at the same time. Theres an age gap, but I'm not sure why "later in life" is luckier than somebody becoming PM earlier in life.

You're quite mad if you think Labour can beat Corbyn in Islington.

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Fri May 24, 2024 9:34 am

DML wrote:I'm actually interested in why Corbynites are considered deplorable. I think it would give me a better understanding.

Return to “Stuff”