The Football Thread 2023/24: Transfer window is OPEN

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2023/24: Kompany to *checks notes* Bayern?! What timeline is this?
by ITSMILNER » Fri May 24, 2024 5:26 am

Man Utd having talks with McKenna reps according to Sky Sports, I think leaving Ipswich this soon for a jump that big (Man Utd or Chelsea) wouldn’t be good for him at this stage. Hope he sticks with Ipswich for at least one more season.

Benzin
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Football Thread 2023/24: Kompany to *checks notes* Bayern?! What timeline is this?
by Benzin » Fri May 24, 2024 6:11 am

McKenna was a coach at Man Utd before joining Ipswich, so he should know better than anyone to steer clear of the current gooseberry fool show.

RetroCora
Joined in 2022

PostRe: The Football Thread 2023/24: Poch leaves Chelsea "by mutual consent"
by RetroCora » Fri May 24, 2024 7:39 am

Cuttooth wrote:Holy gooseberry fool Lookman with a stunning hat trick! :o

One of the best individual performances I've seen in a long time, he blew away a team that had gone 50 matches unbeaten!

Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Dowbocop » Fri May 24, 2024 7:51 am

Kompany to Bayern - sounds crazy considering he's just got Burnley relegated, but they were a poor team in a strong league. Bayern are a very strong team in a relatively weak league - this season excepted! When Kompany had one of the better teams in a "weaker" league he actually did pretty well, and despite being lighter on overall quality the Championship is a much more competitive outfit than the Bundesliga.

Basically I think Kompany will win the Bundesliga, partially because Leverkusen will drop off but partially because I think Kompany managing the best team in the league plays to his strengths.

Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

by Preezy » Fri May 24, 2024 9:12 am

ITSMILNER wrote:Man Utd having talks with McKenna reps according to Sky Sports, I think leaving Ipswich this soon for a jump that big (Man Utd or Chelsea) wouldn’t be good for him at this stage. Hope he sticks with Ipswich for at least one more season.

Agreed. I also think he wouldn't be able to command the respect of the United players. As good a manager as he is, they'll view him as small time (even though they have also shown themselves to be small time) and will down tools pretty quickly if things go south. During Ole's time he was one of the assistants and was apparently looked down on for his training methods and because he'd only just come up from managing the under-18s.

Get me Poch or Tuchel instead, please Sir Jim.

ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

by ITSMILNER » Fri May 24, 2024 9:34 am

I wonder if Newcastle’s owners are looking at the big name managers currently free and thinking about dropping Eddie Howe in favour of a Poch or Tuchel. I wouldn’t be shocked if it happened.

Miguel007
Joined in 2008

by Miguel007 » Fri May 24, 2024 9:45 am

ITSMILNER wrote:I wonder if Newcastle’s owners are looking at the big name managers currently free and thinking about dropping Eddie Howe in favour of a Poch or Tuchel. I wouldn’t be shocked if it happened.

Can't see it happening, the backbone of the team are English [who would probably take it badly, having being brought on by Howe] and plus we cannot go out and spend as out hands are tied by FFP.

We might get there by 2050 [the year not the time].

Rawrgna
Joined in 2019

by Rawrgna » Fri May 24, 2024 9:54 am

i think Howe did a outstanding job over the season considering how many Injuries there were affecting the starting 11 and how terrible the away form was getting 7th

Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Dowbocop » Fri May 24, 2024 9:56 am

Preezy wrote:
ITSMILNER wrote:Man Utd having talks with McKenna reps according to Sky Sports, I think leaving Ipswich this soon for a jump that big (Man Utd or Chelsea) wouldn’t be good for him at this stage. Hope he sticks with Ipswich for at least one more season.

Agreed. I also think he wouldn't be able to command the respect of the United players. As good a manager as he is, they'll view him as small time (even though they have also shown themselves to be small time) and will down tools pretty quickly if things go south. During Ole's time he was one of the assistants and was apparently looked down on for his training methods and because he'd only just come up from managing the under-18s.

I think going from that Bayern season to this Man United team wouldn't be great for Tommy Tickle's health to be honest!

Poch might be a good shout, he'd started to turn Chelsea around and he'd have a hell of a point to prove after the way he was just jettisoned.

Return_of_the_STAR
Joined in 2008

by Return_of_the_STAR » Fri May 24, 2024 11:04 am

All these potential managerial changes does mean that England have the change to appoint one of them if Southgate decides to leave after the euros. I wouldn’t say no to Poch, Tuchal, Howe or klopp if any of them were interested.

Shoe Army
Herdanos
Go for it, Danmon!
Joined in 2008
AKA: lol don't ask

by Herdanos » Fri May 24, 2024 11:09 am

Meh on Howe.

Klopp isn't going to end his sabbatical to take the England job (sadly!)

I'd love Poch but I think the potential reception he'd get at home would be too off putting to get a deal over the line.

Which leaves Tuchel, and I can't see him being interested, sadly.

Generating Real Conversations About Digital Entertainment
BOR
Joined in 2008

by BOR » Fri May 24, 2024 12:08 pm

Preezy wrote:

Agreed with what you said.

I'd say I'd prefer if United to get Tuchel.

Poch is a good manager, but I feel he's a bit limited with the tactical side and he doesn't win any major trophies except the title with PSG?

"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
BOR
Joined in 2008

by BOR » Sat May 25, 2024 3:42 pm

I can't believe what I am watching. :shock:

"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by SEP » Sat May 25, 2024 3:46 pm

This is the first time in my life I have ever wanted Man U to win.

jawa_
Joined in 2021

by jawa_ » Sat May 25, 2024 3:54 pm

A surprising first half. United have been working extremely hard and, when they had chances, they snapped them up. City look... well, like they think they can win by strolling around; certainly not anywhere near their usual standards in terms of work-rate, fight or creativity.

United well on top but, of course, you can't write City off.

Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Sat May 25, 2024 3:55 pm

United playing well. Tactics spot on and working. City not turned up yet.

Mainoo goal was utter class. Started from United pen area and they made it look effortless.

Curls
Joined in 2008

by Curls » Sat May 25, 2024 4:25 pm

Hopefully it means no FA Cup for city, and Ten Haag gets to keep the job.

mcjihge2
Joined in 2008

by mcjihge2 » Sat May 25, 2024 4:31 pm

Garnacho and Rashford making the pitch too big for man city on the first half, and i think this is the best ive ever seen Fernadez play.

Xbox Live: GCE
SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by SEP » Sat May 25, 2024 4:35 pm

Curls wrote:Hopefully it means no FA Cup for city, and Ten Haag gets to keep the job.

And no Europe for Newcastle

SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by SEP » Sat May 25, 2024 4:59 pm

Huh, looks like Saudi blood money can't buy everything.

Return to “Stuff”