Politics Thread 7: THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER - General Election 04/07/24

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Who will you vote for at the next General Election?

Conservatives
7%
Labour
61%
SNP
5%
Lib Dems
6%
DUP
1%
Sinn Fein
1%
Plaid Cymru
2%
SDLP
No votes
Alba
No votes
Greens
15%
Alliance
No votes
Other
3%

Total votes: 121
Parksey
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 7: THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER - General Election 04/07/24
by Parksey » Sat May 25, 2024 11:03 pm

National service ended in 1960, so I'm guessing anyone who actually did it must be about 82 or younger. We all know the demographic that will lap this up - the group of voters who will happily see another generation inflicted with things they never had to deal with.

A generation where a certain proportion want to bring up the drawbridge behind them at every opportunity and protect and hoard what they've got (what they've been given or lucky to get from the society they lived in).

Can't wait until these people are in the strawberry floating ground.

Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Politics Thread 7: THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER - General Election 04/07/24
by Garth » Sat May 25, 2024 11:09 pm

Votes at 16 and a national network of Young Futures hubs to help young people, vs national service for all 18 year olds.

Pretty stark difference there.

Lex-Man
Joined in 2008

by Lex-Man » Sat May 25, 2024 11:10 pm

I swear there's some kind of Weekend at Bernie's comedy going on and we're not aware. Like if Sunak doesn't lose his seat in the next election he'll lose all his money.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Garth » Sat May 25, 2024 11:15 pm

twitter.com/YouGov/status/1794481011574591682

Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Sat May 25, 2024 11:18 pm

mcjihge2 wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Garth wrote:

twitter.com/lara_spirit/status/1794303104198103501

If you're old enough to work and be taxed then you're old enough to vote, in my opinion.

If you study GCSEs, and take public transport then youre old enough to vote.

Well no. Those things are irrelevant. But if your income is taxed you should get a say in how it is spent. No taxation without representation.

captain red dog
Joined in 2008

by captain red dog » Sat May 25, 2024 11:20 pm

I'm starting to think Sunak is desperate to lose this election, even Tory commentators are against this. Their campaign has been an utter disaster and it's only been 3 days.

Van Foster
Joined in 2022

by Van Foster » Sat May 25, 2024 11:24 pm

The 2024 general election starring Rishi Sunak as Max Bialystock.

Grumpy David wrote:Looking forward to seeing Farage kick ass. :D
mcjihge2
Joined in 2008

by mcjihge2 » Sun May 26, 2024 4:06 am

Tomous wrote:
mcjihge2 wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Garth wrote:

If you're old enough to work and be taxed then you're old enough to vote, in my opinion.

Well no. Those things are irrelevant. But if your income is taxed you should get a say in how it is spent. No taxation without representation.

No. Those things are relevant. Education and transport policy is totally of concern to young people. Among many other things. I agree that if you are old enough to work and be taxed then youre old enough to vote. But do you disagree that those in eduction should not have the power to affect what and how they are educated?

Xbox Live: GCE
mcjihge2
Joined in 2008

by mcjihge2 » Sun May 26, 2024 4:10 am

Parksey wrote:National service ended in 1960, so I'm guessing anyone who actually did it must be about 82 or younger. We all know the demographic that will lap this up - the group of voters who will happily see another generation inflicted with things they never had to deal with.

A generation where a certain proportion want to bring up the drawbridge behind them at every opportunity and protect and hoard what they've got (what they've been given or lucky to get from the society they lived in).

^^^ Ironically, i'd vote for national service for everyone upto the age of 82 please.

Xbox Live: GCE
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by Moggy » Sun May 26, 2024 6:55 am

Tomous wrote:
mcjihge2 wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Garth wrote:

There's no age limit on paying tax. A 7 year old child actor would be paying tax.

Rex Kramer
Joined in 2008

by Rex Kramer » Sun May 26, 2024 6:59 am

They key point for me in Sunaks back of an envelope national service policy is the helping out in the community. It's just a cheap way to get (unskilled) labour in services that have been hollowed out by 14 years of Tory underfunding.

Carlos
Joined in 2008
AKA: SanCarlos

by Carlos » Sun May 26, 2024 7:50 am

Parksey wrote:National service ended in 1960, so I'm guessing anyone who actually did it must be about 82 or younger. We all know the demographic that will lap this up - the group of voters who will happily see another generation inflicted with things they never had to deal with.

Don’t tarnish them all. My neighbour is 84 and she’s a left-wing firebrand with nothing good to say about the Tories at all. We had some great conversations about Boris during lockdown over the garden fence!

Vermilion
Gnome Thief
Joined in 2018

by Vermilion » Sun May 26, 2024 8:50 am

Rishi has completely lost the plot, his ideas just seem to go from bad to worse, it's like he wants to lose this election and so comes up with the biggest voter turn offs he can think of.

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Sun May 26, 2024 9:01 am

Vermilion wrote:Rishi has completely lost the plot, his ideas just seem to go from bad to worse, it's like he wants to lose this election and so comes up with the biggest voter turn offs he can think of.

TRUST IN THE PLAN!

SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by SEP » Sun May 26, 2024 9:24 am

Moggy wrote:
Vermilion wrote:Rishi has completely lost the plot, his ideas just seem to go from bad to worse, it's like he wants to lose this election and so comes up with the biggest voter turn offs he can think of.

TRUST IN THE PLAN!

Rishi played Red Dead Redemption 2 and thought Dutch was the protagonist.

Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Dowbocop » Sun May 26, 2024 9:32 am

Rex Kramer wrote:They key point for me in Sunaks back of an envelope national service policy is the helping out in the community. It's just a cheap way to get (unskilled) labour in services that have been hollowed out by 14 years of Tory underfunding.

I've worked in several NHS services that used volunteers - in my current role they were all clinically vulnerable so we sent them home during Covid and ended up not bringing them back (for reasons from above I do not know).

The roles they could perform were very limited - they had no clinical training so to speak and in many cases in the most recent role I mentioned above they had disabilities that meant they couldn't do much more than greeting patients and doing some light admin. In London we had more able bodied people who could do more complex roles mixed with some younger kids - but they all wanted to go to medical school so it was basically work experience for them. This was important and valuable for us (and for them) but flooding the workplace with a hundred untrained eighteen year olds on secondment for a couple of months isn't going to help any public service. At all. If my house is burning down I don't want little Declan who'd rather be at barber college trying to connect the hose to the water main!

Another point is the motivation. You don't get good work out of people who are being forced to be there, and a lot of the "menial" work (that you don't need significant formal training for and you could do fairly soon after starting) is absolutely vital. Don't book that appointment properly on PIMS Olivia? Sorry Fred, you didn't get that follow up for your macular degeneration treatment and you're irreversibly blind! Didn't clean that toilet properly Callum? Sorry Doris, you've got a fatal case of MRSA! Not to mention the potential liability under the Computer Misuse Act and GDPR of letting strawberry floating morons access NHS computer systems.

Return_of_the_STAR
Joined in 2008

by Return_of_the_STAR » Sun May 26, 2024 9:32 am

twitter.com/rishisunak/status/1794625683399852530

He still ends it with labour don’t have a plan :lol:

Obviously the tories aren’t getting in so it’s irrelevant but surely 99% of 18yr olds would just choose to do charity volunteering :lol:

Shoe Army
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

by Lagamorph » Sun May 26, 2024 10:18 am

And you can guarantee that the children of politicians and billionaires will be exempt because of "vital contributions" at their parents companies or "in the interest of security"

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Garth » Sun May 26, 2024 10:30 am

twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1794660412241142257

twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1794652779568566687

Prototype
Joined in 2008

by Prototype » Sun May 26, 2024 10:32 am

Garth wrote:

twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1794660412241142257

Incredible that this banana split is still given air time.

Return to “Stuff”