GrinWithoutaKat wrote:
Moggy wrote:Update for the miseries. ;)

Best England results in our lifetimes:

Robson: 1990: World Cup semi-final

Venables: 1996: Euro semi-final

Southgate: 2018: World Cup semi-final

Southgate: 2021: Euro final

Southgate: 2024: Euro final (at worst)

I admit he can't win with me, as even if he wins it, he's still not done what all the others in the last 20 years failed to do, and beat a side better than his.

That makes zero sense. Are you seriously suggesting a manager cannot be a success if he wins something with the best team?

I’m pretty sure Denster was around in 1966 :shifty:

Nope. 1974. Cheeky strawberry float

Return_of_the_STAR
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Official GRcade Euro 2024 Thread: Gareth gets another semi
by Return_of_the_STAR » Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:24 pm

Denster wrote:
Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
Moggy wrote:
GrinWithoutaKat wrote:

I admit he can't win with me, as even if he wins it, he's still not done what all the others in the last 20 years failed to do, and beat a side better than his.

That makes zero sense. Are you seriously suggesting a manager cannot be a success if he wins something with the best team?

:lol: Sorry couldn’t resist.

Shoe Army
Denster
Joined in 2008

by Denster » Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:27 pm

Denster wrote:
Moggy wrote:
GrinWithoutaKat wrote:

:lol: Sorry couldn’t resist.

It's OK. I'm in a good mood after that result. :toot:

Denster
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Official GRcade Euro 2024 Thread: Watkins sends England to 2nd consecutive Euros final
by Denster » Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:39 pm

If another manager had brought on two players who provided the assist and goal to win a semi-final, they'd be hailed as a genius. If another manager got England into two finals, they'd be hailed as a genius. If another manager took England to their first final on foreign soil.. Time to give some credit for a job well done.

Quote on BBC sport

Hear hear. Southgate and the players deserve every credit.

Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

by Tomous » Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:46 pm

GrinWithoutaKat wrote:

I'm sorry but this is absurd :lol:

even if he wins it

What!

sawyerpip
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Official GRcade Euro 2024 Thread: England or Netherlands to join Spain in final, au revoir la France
by sawyerpip » Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:54 pm

DML wrote:'Southgate never beats big teams'

'Well okay, Southgate never beats better teams'

Netherlands are not really a big team anymore.

If someone wanted to try and wind people up, they could say something like "England needed a dodgy (to put it mildly) penalty to beat a poorer team on paper who finished third in their group and only got this far because they were lucky enough to be drawn against Romania and Turkey."

I wouldn't say that of course, but someone could.

Tomous
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Official GRcade Euro 2024 Thread: Watkins sends England to 2nd consecutive Euros final
by Tomous » Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:56 pm

Well if they're gonna win it, they're going to have to beat the team that pretty much everyone agrees has been the best side so far.

sawyerpip
Joined in 2009

by sawyerpip » Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:01 am

Yep, Spain are going to be favourites on form but in a cup final, and with a team with the quality that England has, who knows how it will go.

Viva Espana :shifty:

DML
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Official GRcade Euro 2024 Thread: England or Netherlands to join Spain in final, au revoir la France
by DML » Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:03 am

sawyerpip wrote:

If someone wanted to try and wind people up, they could say something like "England needed a dodgy (to put it mildly) penalty to beat a poorer team on paper who finished third in their group and only got this far because they were lucky enough to be drawn against Romania and Turkey."

Oh come the strawberry float on. They have Van Dijk, Ake, Dumfries, Gakpo, Depay, Weghorst, Simons...

I tipped the Netherlands to win the whole thing.

Denster
Joined in 2008

by Denster » Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:06 am

Hoping for a win on Sunday. Got a good chance. Spain have been very good but a poor French team got chances against them. I think we will, too.

Tomous
Joined in 2010

by Tomous » Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:10 am

DML wrote:
sawyerpip wrote:

Oh come the strawberry float on. They have Van Dijk, Ake, Dumfries, Gakpo, Depay, Weghorst, Simons...

I'm not disagreeing with you but I really don't think Weghorst helps your point

DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:12 am

I get being pissed off at Southgate in the other matches but how you can say that today I just don't understand.

Especially when strawberry floating Graham Potter is probably next in line. Whoopty strawberry floating doo.

sawyerpip
Joined in 2009

by sawyerpip » Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:15 am

DML wrote:
sawyerpip wrote:

That was a terrible tip :lol:

And there's no way that Netherlands team is better than England on paper surely? What else did I say is wrong?

Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Dowbocop » Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:16 am

DML wrote:
sawyerpip wrote:

Won a single tournament decades ago.
Conveyor belt of talented squads going to tournaments.
Often tipped as dark horses.
Always fall short.
Hate Germany.

The Netherlands are basically England but twenty years out of sync...

Tomous
Joined in 2010

by Tomous » Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:17 am

The only difference is Germany do actually hate them

sawyerpip
Joined in 2009

by sawyerpip » Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:21 am

Tomous wrote:The only difference is Germany do actually hate them

:lol:

more heat than light
Joined in 2008
AKA: mhtl

by more heat than light » Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:07 am

Southgate haters can just get in the bin now. Can't be doing with armchair managers thinking they know better. Two consecutive Euro's finals, have a word with yourself.

:toot:

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:MHTL is an OG ledge
hamm sandwich
Joined in 2008

by hamm sandwich » Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:42 am

After last night’s performance the final promises to be a great game. Spain haven’t lost a competitive match in 16 months though, I hope Southgate finds some time to give Steve Clarke a bell to get some tips.

RetroCora
Joined in 2022

by RetroCora » Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:01 am

Spain's last competitive loss outside of friendlies was against Scotland, if we can put two past them unreturned, I'm very sure England can if they're on their game. They need to be more like last night than the previous five matches, but I think the old footballing cliche rings true - you can play terribly, peak at the right time, and win international tournaments. England might well be doing that here!

DML
Joined in 2008

by DML » Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:16 am

sawyerpip wrote:
DML wrote:
sawyerpip wrote:

That was a terrible tip :lol:

And there's no way that Netherlands team is better than England on paper surely? What else did I say is wrong?

It wasn't that bad, they reached the semi finals! Weirdly I predicted all four semi finalists.

I'm not saying they are better than us but they are still a top footballing nation, minimising us beating them to me is ridiculous given our history.

Return to “Stuff”