So I joined a cult.

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Pontius Pilate
Joined in 2008

PostSo I joined a cult.
by Pontius Pilate » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:13 pm

:lol: by accident.

About a month ago, I started talking to some cute girl. She told me about some volunteer group called Mannam that offers free Korean lessons for foreigners here. So, I started going along. Things were going great, all of the people there were really nice (and they were all 20-25 yo hot girls - probably should have been a warning sign :lol:), and I was learning good stuff for free!

So yesterday, I was at the class, and my friend texts me -

Friend: "Hey, what you upto?".
Me: "Ah, just at my Mannam class".
Friend: "What? Isn't that a cult?"
Me: "Huh?"

But, as soon as I read that, I knew. I had read about this before, but had forgotten the name. Mannam isn't actually the name of the cult, but rather a proxy volunteer group that attempts to recruit people to the cult without them realising. Needless to say, Saturday was a long day :lol: I had already agreed to help them do some volunteer farm work after class, and then watch a film with them. I was visibly nervous, a few of the girls asked me why I was so serious looking. I was sure they were taking me to some sort of leader camp like in the Simpsons (Na na na na na batman!...Leader!). I decided to just keep my cool. But then I got a little too cool. I started asking questions about Mannam. I often seen them shooting off to go to other places for meetings etc, so I was mostly asking about that. One girl got kind of pissed - "Why, all of a sudden, do you seem so interested? Why are you asking me?", and I seen her gesturing to one of her friends. :slol:

So anyway, I left the farm, untouched of any brainwashing (that I know of...). It was really hot yesterday, so afterwards I pretend jokingly said to them "Ah, it's too hot for a foreigner like me to farm. I won't join in next time.". The response? "Oh, you will.". :dread:

Today, I was kind of pissed off. Both at the girl who introduced me, and my korean teacher. So I decided to send the first girl a little message. I probably wouldn't have done so, had I not expected that she might actually know about the cult, since I knew she only started working with them not too long ago. And I knew she wasn't religious, unless everything she told me was a lie.

"Hey, I'm not going to go to Mannam anymore, I heard some bad stuff about them."
"Huh? What bad stuff? What are you talking about?
"You don't know what I'm talking about?
:long pause:
"Oh do you mean the religious stuff? I have heard those rumours, and heard that some people like that join, but it is safe! I am fine...No one ever pushes anything on me."

So to me, it seems like she half knows/is half in denial. About 2 hours later she sent me a message saying "Hey...Are Mannam and Sincheonji really connected?". I was kind of hoping I could scare her out of going back there, but I think she's too far gone. Unless she's lying, I suspect she hasn't yet became an official member :cry:

Sincheonji is the name of the cult/fringe religion. You can easily find out information about them on google. But most web pages about them, seem to be written by Sinchehonji. Every Korean knows about them, everyone thinks they are bat gooseberry fool insane. One of my friends said she knew someone who got involved with them. Apparently she walked up some mountain with them, only to find hundreds of people praying infront of a naked dead body. The were trying to bring it back to life. :shock: They are supposedly obsessed with foreigners, probably as a way of spreading their religion around the globe. So that is why they set up these Language learning programs.

So then, the purpose of this thread is this. What should I do?

I messaged my teacher a similar message. "I won't return, heard bad things.". The difference here, is that she in no way tried to deny anything, she didn't even mention it. She was just acting really sad. But she also said "Don't worry, we won't force you to come here.". Immediately afterwards, she messaged me with - "But how about having coffee with just me and Mina (Fake name for the other girl)?".

Do I delve deeper Grcade? Do you go for this coffee, which is almost definitely a ploy to get me to trust them/kidnap me and brainwash me? Currently, I'm 90% pushing towards no. But I do have some curiosity. Does this suggest their mind tricks have already gotten to me? :lol: I like to think I couldn't be brainwashed, which is why I think I am tempted to go. But you never know. And joking aside, the whole thing has kind of gotten to me. It's very confusing, these girls were so nice to me that it's hard for me to think of them as bad/crazy looney's right now. But at the same time, I know they just have an agenda. And I feel really sad for all of these girls. They're all being used.

Corazon de Leon

PostRe: So I joined a cult.
by Corazon de Leon » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:20 pm

I'd have already left the country, in all honesty. :dread:

PaperMacheMario
Joined in 2011
AKA: The Traitor

by PaperMacheMario » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:20 pm

Don't go. Nothing else needs to be said.

HSH28 wrote:Sounds what you really need is a sense of humour.
Corazon de Leon

by Corazon de Leon » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:21 pm

Who holds back the electric car?

Captain Kinopio
Joined in 2008
AKA: Memento Mori

by Captain Kinopio » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:22 pm

If they offer you punch don't drink it :dread:

Time for adventure
Pontius Pilate
Joined in 2008

by Pontius Pilate » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:23 pm

"Oh, this Leader- He sounds like a grand fella."
"Willie, I'm not sure we're making any headway here."
"Would you shut up, woman. He's talking about my leader."

Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

by Qikz » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:23 pm

Cults are never good. Do not get involved unless you want to be the next naked dead body on the mountain.

The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by Moggy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:24 pm

I say go for it. It's not every day you get to climb a mountain and play with dead bodies.

Pontius Pilate
Joined in 2008

by Pontius Pilate » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:25 pm

Herbi wrote:If they offer you punch don't drink it :dread:

They bought me pizza yesterday after the farm. They said "if you are good to us, we will be good to you." :dread:

I'm curious about how many of the Mannam girls know about the actual cult. You think all of them? It's crazy to think young, attractive and educated females could succumb to this bullshit. :cry:

Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Cuttooth » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:26 pm

Never stop running. :dread:

Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

by Qikz » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:27 pm

you never know, it could be some believe lab kind of cult and be incredible, but I doubt it.

this is the wiki page about that religion for anyone interested. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinchonji ... _Testimony

The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
Corazon de Leon

by Corazon de Leon » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:27 pm

Pontius Pilate wrote:
Herbi wrote:If they offer you punch don't drink it :dread:

They bought me pizza yesterday after the farm. They said "if you are good to us, we will be good to you." :dread:

I'm curious about how many of the Mannam girls know about the actual cult. You think all of them? It's crazy to think young, attractive and educated females could succumb to this bullshit. :cry:

Well I'm young, attractive, educated and scientologist. It could happen to anyone...

Denster
Joined in 2008

by Denster » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:27 pm

It's already too late for you but thanks for warning us.

Pontius Pilate
Joined in 2008

by Pontius Pilate » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:28 pm

They worship some old Korean dude who claims to have talked personally with Jesus. :lol:

Rog
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Rog » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:28 pm

RIPPP

chase210
Joined in 2013

by chase210 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:30 pm

One of us, one of us....

Zellery
Joined in 2008

by Zellery » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:36 pm

Is there any way that you could bang some of these cultists first then get out?

Alpha eX
Joined in 2008

by Alpha eX » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:38 pm

PP's Cult Adventure.

Do it, would be really interesting to read about the deeper you go.

Pontius Pilate
Joined in 2008

by Pontius Pilate » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:40 pm

Zellery wrote:Is there any way that you could bang some of these cultists first then get out?

Well. Let's get down to the nitty gritty here. Did I join the class to learn Korean? Ha. :lol: But I fear, even I am not stupid to try and bang a cultist. Am I? :shock:

Goker
Joined in 2012

by Goker » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:41 pm

Cultists could really be wacky yknow. Could be fun.

Return to “Stuff”