ITV cancel The Jeremy Kyle Show

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
KK
Joined in 2008

PostITV cancel The Jeremy Kyle Show
by KK » Wed May 15, 2019 10:16 am

BBC News wrote:The Jeremy Kyle Show has been axed by ITV after the death of a guest who took part in the programme.

Steven Dymond was found dead on 9 May a week after filming the show, during which he took a lie detector test.

Carolyn McCall, ITV's CEO, said: "Given the gravity of recent events we have decided to end production of The Jeremy Kyle Show."

ITV had initially suspended filming, and the prime minister's spokesman called the death "deeply concerning".

ITV's statement in full:

"Given the gravity of recent events we have decided to end production of The Jeremy Kyle Show.

"The Jeremy Kyle Show has had a loyal audience and has been made by a dedicated production team for 14 years, but now is the right time for the show to end.

"Everyone at ITV's thoughts and sympathies are with the family and friends of Steve Dymond.

"The previously announced review of the episode of the show is under way and will continue.

"ITV will continue to work with Jeremy Kyle on other projects."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48279613

What with Jerry Springer also ending last year, it looks like these type of shows have finally had their day. I remember in the late 90s they were everywhere, particularly on Living and ITV2.

Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: ITV cancel The Jeremy Kyle Show
by Preezy » Wed May 15, 2019 10:17 am

All together now...

AND NOTHING OF VALUE WAS LOST.

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by Moggy » Wed May 15, 2019 10:20 am

Preezy wrote:All together now...

AND NOTHING OF VALUE WAS LOST.

You say that but how else will you find out if you child is actually yours or if that child was the result of your brother shagging your missus?

abcd
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
AKA: abcd

by abcd » Wed May 15, 2019 10:21 am

What will Jeremy do now?

Perhaps an Amazon Prime series?

Tafdolphin
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
Joined in 2008

by Tafdolphin » Wed May 15, 2019 10:22 am

Watch it be resurrected under a different name in 6 months.

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
EXOGATE Initiative: Early Access Summer 2021
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Wed May 15, 2019 10:22 am

In the past I would have said 'straight to Channel 5!' but with their new owners they've been attempting to clean themselves up (a bit) in recent years.

Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

by Preezy » Wed May 15, 2019 10:24 am

Aside from my above post, I find it quite surprising that ITV are prepared to cancel this show but are still going ahead with the new Love Island series next month. In case you haven't been following that story - 2 previous contestants have killed themselves since starring on the show.

False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

by False » Wed May 15, 2019 10:28 am

Love island is a money making machine though

You don’t cancel that until someone literally shoots up the villa live on air

Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

by Lagamorph » Wed May 15, 2019 10:31 am

Maybe he'll just go all in on Jeremy Kyle USA.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Wed May 15, 2019 10:33 am

False wrote:Love island is a money making machine though

You don’t cancel that until someone literally shoots up the villa live on air

Now that I would watch.

KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Wed May 15, 2019 10:36 am

I also find Jeremy Kyle inherently unlikeable in a way Jerry Springer, Maury Povich and Trisha never were. Kyle is a prick like Piers Morgan. So it's neither as fun or as stupid to watch as Springer nor are the guests treated as well as on Trisha, so that just leaves a show that doesn't really have anything going for it.

Though clearly it must be doing something right because I think it was ITV's most popular daytime show apart from This Morning, pulling in over a million.

Wedgie
Joined in 2008

by Wedgie » Wed May 15, 2019 10:38 am

I genuinely thought Jk Show was fake as hell like Jerry Springer’s show. Why would people go on it and get ridiculed by a hypocrite presenter (he cheated on his wife with their kids’ nanny didn’t he?) and baited the audience to hurl abuse?

And wasn’t the lie detector proved to be not 100% accurate and isn’t allowed in court?

Vile show. ITV did the right thing, the only shame is that they didn’t cancel it years ago.

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.

Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!
captain red dog
Joined in 2008

by captain red dog » Wed May 15, 2019 10:39 am

I see there is the typical twitter pile on but given the number of guests on the show over the years one death is probably, sadly inevitable at some point. Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be half as much drama around Love Island which I think has had two deaths in a much shorter time span.

Dual
Joined in 2008

by Dual » Wed May 15, 2019 10:50 am

Good

Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

by Preezy » Wed May 15, 2019 10:52 am

Dual there acting like he doesn't own a branded Love Island drink bottle :slol:

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Wed May 15, 2019 10:58 am

Wedgie wrote:I genuinely thought Jk Show was fake as hell like Jerry Springer’s show. Why would people go on it and get ridiculed by a hypocrite presenter (he cheated on his wife with their kids’ nanny didn’t he?) and baited the audience to hurl abuse?

And wasn’t the lie detector proved to be not 100% accurate and isn’t allowed in court?

Vile show. ITV did the right thing, the only shame is that they didn’t cancel it years ago.

Lie detectors are bollocks.

I heard some of James O’Brien’s show yesterday where they were talking about this story. The producers of the JK show would deliberately target mentally vulnerable people in order to get people from the show. People were desperate to get on the show as it would give them some fame, they wouldn’t have to buy a drink in their local pub for months!

Such a vile show and hopefully it is not replaced with anything similar.

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Wed May 15, 2019 11:01 am

captain red dog wrote:I see there is the typical twitter pile on but given the number of guests on the show over the years one death is probably, sadly inevitable at some point. Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be half as much drama around Love Island which I think has had two deaths in a much shorter time span.

Other than the obvious “how much money does it make ITV” comparison, I would imagine there is a difference between the deaths. Love Island (as far as I know) doesn’t stick it’s victims on stage while a man screams “HAHA YOUR KIDS ARE NOT REALLY YOURS!” or “YOU ARE SCUM SCUM SCUM. HOW DARE YOU EXIST!”.

Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

by Preezy » Wed May 15, 2019 11:02 am

Love Island is more like sexy social darwinism - survival of the fittest :datass:

Manwell Pablo
Joined in 2017

by Manwell Pablo » Wed May 15, 2019 11:10 am

KK wrote:I also find Jeremy Kyle inherently unlikeable in a way Jerry Springer, Maury Povich and Trisha never were. Kyle is a prick like Piers Morgan. So it's neither as fun or as stupid to watch as Springer nor are the guests treated as well as on Trisha, so that just leaves a show that doesn't really have anything going for it.

Though clearly it must be doing something right because I think it was ITV's most popular daytime show apart from This Morning, pulling in over a million.

I've not seen it for years (thank the lord), I think I was at uni was the last time I saw one but if you watch an episode Jerry Springer isn't unlikable because he doesn't actually do anything. He literally gets the guest on asks about three basic questions then gets out the way while those on stage try and rip each others head off and all hell break loose for 15 minutes, occasionally reappearing to make the odd condescending joke.

That show was more about the absolute odd balls they got on there rather than Springer himself.

Anyway I agree with the consensus, with society becoming more aware of mental health and personality disorders and their treatment these shows really have had their day. I'm sure Mr Kyle will find something else to do.

Alvin Flummux
Joined in 2008

by Alvin Flummux » Wed May 15, 2019 11:15 am

Lie detector tests aren't scientific and prove strawberry float all.

Return to “Stuff”