Will backwards compatibility affect your next-gen console purchase?

Anything to do with games at all.

Will it affect your decision

I own a PS4 and will buy a PS5 due to BC
15
58%
I own an Xbox One and will buy NextBox due to BC
5
19%
I don't care about BC
6
23%
 
Total votes: 26
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostWill backwards compatibility affect your next-gen console purchase?
by NickSCFC » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:48 pm

With backwards compatibility being confirmed for both PlayStation 5 and the next Xbox, will compatibility with your current games affect your purchasing decision?

Will you be trading your current console(s) for next-gen or keeping them.

Are most of your current gen games physical or digital?

Last edited by NickSCFC on Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image
Image
User avatar
Godzilla
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Will backwards compatibility effect your next-gen console purchase?
by Godzilla » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:09 pm

100% digital. Over 130 games in my digital PS4 collection (some are ps plus and beta though)

Pleased ps5 is BC and will be getting one on day 1.

Wish my image sig would work
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Will backwards compatibility affect your next-gen console purchase?
by Jenuall » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:25 pm

I don't own either of the current gen XBOX or PS consoles but my decision to buy either of their next iterations will be heavily influenced by BC - I'm very keen to play some of the games that I have missed so will definitely want this feature in the next generation.

ImageImage
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Will backwards compatibility affect your next-gen console purchase?
by jawafour » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:06 pm

NickSCFC wrote:With backwards compatibility being confirmed for both PlayStation 5 and the next Xbox, will compatibility with your current games affect your purchasing decision?

I think I favour PS5 as my next gen console and a big factor is backwards compatibility; I've enjoyed online gaming on the system and I would be very reluctant to "lose" my account stuff for things like Final Fantasy XIV, Elder Scrolls Online and Fallout 76.

NickSCFC wrote:Will you be trading your current console(s) for next-gen or keeping them.

Oh, definitely keeping them! Tears are never far away when I recall selling my Sega Master System and my Asian Sega Mega Drive... I hope not to make that mistake again! I'd rather hold off and save up money then sell my current gear.

NickSCFC wrote:Are most of your current gen games physical or digital?

Roughly 90% digital on my PS4. I used to prefer physical but the loss of manuals and the rise of discs basically becoming download keys made me switch to digital. I've grown to like the convenience, too... if not the prices.

User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Will backwards compatibility affect your next-gen console purchase?
by Pedz » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:32 pm

I own both so it make little difference, as I try and get both. My only reservation of diving straight in is a pro and X version coming later, do I bother getting the base version and upgrading or playing games on the PS4 and Xbone until the upgrades are released?

ImageImage
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Will backwards compatibility affect your next-gen console purchase?
by NickSCFC » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:33 pm

jawafour wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:Will you be trading your current console(s) for next-gen or keeping them.

Oh, definitely keeping them! Tears are never far away when I recall selling my Sega Master System and my Asian Sega Mega Drive... I hope not to make that mistake again! I'd rather hold off and save up money then sell my current gear.


I still regret selling my Saturn collection, despite not playing it in years. I keep having reoccurring dreams about it too.

Image
Image
User avatar
Jam-Master Jay
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Lord Hypnos
Location: Stourbridge
Contact:

PostRe: Will backwards compatibility affect your next-gen console purchase?
by Jam-Master Jay » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:44 pm

I own neither current gen consoles so price/performance and the exclusives will be what makes me decide to buy a new console.

Image
User avatar
suzzopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Cambridge

PostRe: Will backwards compatibility affect your next-gen console purchase?
by suzzopher » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:00 pm

I’m pretty much digital on PS4 and Switch. So I’ll be going PS5 next gen, saying that though if some of the delisted psn titles I have don’t make it, I’ll be pissed.

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Will backwards compatibility affect your next-gen console purchase?
by Ad7 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:18 pm

Absolutely. I thought I didn't care top much for BC but having great games on a ps3 is way more of a pain in the arse to set up than I'd expected and puts me off. Using my pc on my tv is amazing because I have my entire library of pc games going right the way back, and I'd love my console to be the same.

User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Will backwards compatibility affect your next-gen console purchase?
by NickSCFC » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:22 pm

I'm tempted to get one at launch and play PS4 games on it while waiting for the exclusives to come, hopefully this will upscale all titles too 4K.

Image
Image
User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Will backwards compatibility affect your next-gen console purchase?
by Garth » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:39 pm

Definitely. I wouldn't want to leave my entire digital collection behind, so backwards compatibility is very welcome as I won't have to keep the old console around.

User avatar
Wedgie
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Will backwards compatibility affect your next-gen console purchase?
by Wedgie » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:18 am

suzzopher wrote:I’m pretty much digital on PS4 and Switch. So I’ll be going PS5 next gen, saying that though if some of the delisted psn titles I have don’t make it, I’ll be pissed.



If it’s tied to your account, it’ll always be on it. Always.

Image

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.


Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Will backwards compatibility affect your next-gen console purchase?
by OrangeRKN » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:46 am

Mainly physical collection here (discounting PS+ games).

Backwards compatibility is definitely a good thing but exclusives remain my number one influence.

User avatar
captain red dog
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: Will backwards compatibility affect your next-gen console purchase?
by captain red dog » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:04 am

With large digital libraries now, it's unacceptable for new consoles not to be made backwards compatible. I definitely don't want to see then charging me to upgrade titles to Nextbox/PS5 compatibility.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Will backwards compatibility affect your next-gen console purchase?
by Moggy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:40 am

Where is the option for owning both consoles? gooseberry fool Nick poll. :x

BC is a pretty big deal nowadays as people own large digital game collections. It’s also in the console manufacturers interests, it’s easier to market a machine that people already have 100 games for, than one that they have to pay an extra £50 to get one game.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Will backwards compatibility affect your next-gen console purchase?
by Preezy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:43 am

Backwards compatibility will have a big impact, so me it's PS5 all the way.

User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Will backwards compatibility affect your next-gen console purchase?
by NickSCFC » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:45 pm

Moggy wrote:Where is the option for owning both consoles? gooseberry fool Nick poll. :x

BC is a pretty big deal nowadays as people own large digital game collections. It’s also in the console manufacturers interests, it’s easier to market a machine that people already have 100 games for, than one that they have to pay an extra £50 to get one game.


Pol updated with multiple options.

Image
Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Will backwards compatibility affect your next-gen console purchase?
by Moggy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:50 pm

NickSCFC wrote:
Moggy wrote:Where is the option for owning both consoles? gooseberry fool Nick poll. :x

BC is a pretty big deal nowadays as people own large digital game collections. It’s also in the console manufacturers interests, it’s easier to market a machine that people already have 100 games for, than one that they have to pay an extra £50 to get one game.


Pol updated with multiple options.


Pol Pot? :shock: :dread:

I can't be arsed to vote now, mistakes like this lead to voter apathy and this is exactly how things like Trump and Brexit happened. I hope you are proud. :x

User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Will backwards compatibility affect your next-gen console purchase?
by NickSCFC » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:45 pm

Moggy wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:
Moggy wrote:Where is the option for owning both consoles? gooseberry fool Nick poll. :x

BC is a pretty big deal nowadays as people own large digital game collections. It’s also in the console manufacturers interests, it’s easier to market a machine that people already have 100 games for, than one that they have to pay an extra £50 to get one game.


Pol updated with multiple options.


Pol Pot? :shock: :dread:

I can't be arsed to vote now, mistakes like this lead to voter apathy and this is exactly how things like Trump and Brexit happened. I hope you are proud. :x


You want a second referendum but you won't support this?

Image
Image
User avatar
Rubix
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol
Contact:

PostRe: Will backwards compatibility affect your next-gen console purchase?
by Rubix » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:18 pm

No it wont affect my purchase. Ill get a PS5 regardless because of the potential games that will only be on a sony console.

The fact it’s bc is just a bonus

PLAY | PS4: Ni No Kuni II | PSVR Beat Saber | Switch Yoshi's Crafted World, SSBU
WATCH | GOT S2, Angel S1, Umbrella Academy S1
READ | HP and the Goblet of Fire

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Balladeer, Chocolate-Milk, Dowbocop, Gemini73, ITSMILNER, Jamo3103, JediDragon05, Kriken, Met, Poser, Sandy and 44 guests